Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 17:20   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Cellular Data in Canada

We are planning on doing the down east loop this summer and have some questions about cellular data service in Canada. When in the US we are using a Verizon Jetpack 6620L MiFi device to create an onboard hotspot.

Will the Verizon SIM card still work in Canada? If so, will the roaming data costs be extortionate? Does it make sense to get a Canadian SIM card for a month or two? If so, which company?

Thanks in advance.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 18:19   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Cellular Data in Canada

US SIM card will definitely work; check with your provider for the roaming charges.

I'm on Canadian service (mine is Koodo) in Canada and I find the data charges exorbitant already, so can't help you with the rest.
Old 25-04-2016, 18:40   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You will run up bills from Verizon of thousands of dollars. Note that you don't even need to be in Canada for this to happen: every time a Canadian cell-tower is close but a Verizon tower isn't, and you allow it to roam in settings, you start paying $$$ even when on the US side of the border.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 00:03   #4

on the west cost we use telus. probably $50-100 a month
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:13   #5

Boat: MacGregor 22; also Morgan 382

Why not consider T-Mobile as your carrier. Coverage at no extra cost to Canada and Mexico. They have a data plan that will allow an unlimited (?) hotspot. I changed my American cell phone coverage to iWireless (they are partnered with T-Mobile) so that I would have a viable (read cost) for sailing in the Canadian Maritimes.
kdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:21   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaley View Post
Why not consider T-Mobile as your carrier. Coverage at no extra cost to Canada and Mexico. They have a data plan that will allow an unlimited (?) hotspot. I changed my American cell phone coverage to iWireless (they are partnered with T-Mobile) so that I would have a viable (read cost) for sailing in the Canadian Maritimes.
Huh, I wonder if Canadians can sign up for that! You can say a lot of nice things about Canada but not a single one of them will be about our telecom companies.

Anyway, if you go for a Canadian sim be sure to look at the coverage maps and the new extended coverages. Rogers signed a deal with Telus last year and now they share towers in some areas...
Old 26-04-2016, 08:43   #7

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Huh, I wonder if Canadians can sign up for that! You can say a lot of nice things about Canada but not a single one of them will be about our telecom companies.
Unfortunately no.

'Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network'

I've used Roam Mobility for short (one to two) week trips to the U.S. with mixed results; excellent for LA and Kihei, not so good in the deserts outside of Yuma. So I guess just more populated areas.

Of course this doesn't help the OP.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 09:46   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Our boat is about 200' south of the Canadian border on the west coast. We use Verizon. I can tell you that roaming charges are $2.30 per minute. I learned this the hard way. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:05   #9

Boat: Contest 50CS

I use T-mobile for my US cellphone I pay $50/month for unlimited data (3G) in Canada also free calling! I got rid of my canadian cellphone.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:12   #10

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailone3032 View Post
I use T-mobile for my US cellphone I pay $50/month for unlimited data (3G) in Canada also free calling! I got rid of my canadian cellphone.
I stand corrected.

How did you sign up?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:15   #11

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
We are planning on doing the down east loop this summer and have some questions about cellular data service in Canada. When in the US we are using a Verizon Jetpack 6620L MiFi device to create an onboard hotspot.

Will the Verizon SIM card still work in Canada? If so, will the roaming data costs be extortionate? Does it make sense to get a Canadian SIM card for a month or two? If so, which company?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, Verizon works very well and yes the roaming charges will be extortionate. Canada is famous for high costs. Get a SIM card for your unlocked phone. Not sure which card works best out east.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:40   #12

Boat: Contest 50CS

got to Myt-mobile.com
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:43   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

When we go to Canada we pay Verizon a monthly rate ($10 I think) to use up there.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:44   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post

Thanks in advance.
Get T-Mobile, which you can get month-month. Free roaming, including data, in Canada. I used if for the first time in February, and it will choose the best signal available. I was pretty impressed, as some areas I went to were quite remote.

I am on their $65/month plan.
Old 26-04-2016, 10:57   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Get T-Mobile, which you can get month-month. Free roaming, including data, in Canada. I used if for the first time in February, and it will choose the best signal available. I was pretty impressed, as some areas I went to were quite remote.

I am on their $65/month plan.
===

Thanks, that's all good to know. I already have a T-mobile phone which is capable of creating a hotspot so I guess I'm covered there. The Verizon Jetpack device is on my wife's cellular phone plan. I did some poking around on the Verizon web site today and it looks like they have an international roaming plan for $2/day. I'd be OK with that if it's really true.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada