Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:56   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
CDs to MP3

I've worked on computers for just about my all career. Back in 1966 I left the airforce and joined IBM when they were introducing their system 360. Since then I've mainly worked on main frame computers but have tried to remain current on PCs and programming.

But I have to say some things slipped past me like You Tube and MP3. Recently my AM/FM radio CD player died so I got a new one that happens to have both a USB port and also an SD slot. I read in some thread that someone had converted all their CDS to an iPOD so I decided to see if I could take my favorite CDS and put them all on a 1Gig SD card.

So far its amazing. I've taken all my favorite CDs: Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Jimmy Buffet, Beethoven, etc. to Mp3. Nearly 15 so far and the SD card is only 3/4 full. Looks like I'll be able to leave all the CDs at home for the next trip south.

Anyone else had experience with this? Anything I should be aware of?

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 13:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
... I've taken all my favorite CDs: Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Jimmy Buffet, Beethoven, etc. to Mp3. Nearly 15 so far and the SD card is only 3/4 full...Paul
I don't suppose you want to burn me a copy?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 14:26   #3

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Yes,

MP3s are great ...... I copied my CDs ( just a little more than 15,000 songs) to an external hard drive and use windows media player to play the music from the computer or copy music to MP3 CDs (or to an Ipod if i ever get one) ....... I can then use the MP3 CDs to play in my truck which happens to have a 6 disk player ........ six full CDs of MP3 music equals about 40 to 50 hours of music.

Yes sir ....... MP3s are great!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 19:50   #4

I have about 500 CD's worth of MP3's on my Zune80. I can plug it in at home to the "stereo", wear it around with the headphones, play it through the car radio and ditto on the boat stereo. What a great idea Apple had....but I like my Zune better than the Ipods.
Mobetah...I did the same thing as you, ripping to an external drive first. That way I can delete the music from my laptop freeing 80GB of hard drive space while still keeping all the music safe for the day when I sit on my Zune!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 20:08   #5

Boat: Leopard 46, The Selkirk Grace
MP3

The truth is, digital music and sound in general are very little data per unit time when measured against the capacity of modern data networks. That is why phone networks have gone the way of the dinosaurs and data networks now carry all of the "data" (voice is just a miniscule portion of the data). Your MP3s can be stored on any readable media, such as data DVD, flash memory, or disk drives. The media really does not matter. What matters is the amount of data in the original MP3 recording, the digital decompression engine (your MP3 stereo or computer) the amp and speakers. So, good stereo or sound card, and your Zune (or whatever) and the music is transportable. I actually was upset when I chartered a Sunsail Lagoon 380 in April and it did not have a port to plug in my Zune! Remember when stereos used to AUX in ports? They are coming back, just tied to a processor that analyzes for digital encoded info, such as MP3. Make sure your new boat comes with one, or if buying a used boat, retrofit with one with an input plug on the front of the case.
SelkirkWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 21:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I took hundreds and hundreds of CD's and spent a couple weekends burning them at high bit rates to MP3's to be backed up on my computers and used with my iPods. It's the best thing I have ever done with my music. It was well worth the time and effort to do this. I cant imagine having to make the space on a boat to have to store hundreds of CD's when this is a much better for storing your music.

There is software made by Slysoft, SlySoft Products that allows you to back up your movie collection. This includes High Definition BluRay movies as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote