Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 15:50   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: CB VS VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I was surprised at this too, so I emailed Industry Canada for clarification ... and I've just had a call from the Coastguard legal people...

In short ... they require certification to "operate" a marine radio, and they interpret "operate" to include just turning it on, because in the absence of training an "operator" might not know that deliberately or accidentally holding the mic button down can cause all kinds of problems. Asking about receive only channels like the weather channels, the response was the same ... the ch16 button could also be pressed accidentally etc. He did however have no problems with listening in to marine band radio using a receive only device if there were no possibility of transmitting. Internationally the wording of the rules are basically the same, but different jurisdictions may interpret "operate" differently and/or waive licencing requirements.

But yes it turns out ... In Canada, it is technically illegal to even turn on your marine VHF transceiver and listen to the weather forecast without an ROC-M.
Interesting!

While I'm sure that is the opinion of the Coastguard legal people, I wonder if it would stand up in a court of law. Presumably there is some legal Act enshrined in law that gives the actual wording. If the wording does say "operate", then that word will be defined within Act (i.e. not just defined by one legal opinion) . At least that is how the law mostly works in Australia.

It is difficult to see how one could operate the radio if it is out of hands reach etc. The Coastguard legal people's definition of operating would suggest it s illegal to have the radio turned even if no one is aboard - because someone might walk past, enter the boat and transmit.

According to the law in Canada, who is the person that has to hold the ROC-M; the owner, the skipper, the operator, someone else....?

FWIW in Australia, the operator is the person who is expected to hold a ROC-M (although we use a different term) however an unlicensed person may transmit if they are under the direction of a licensed person.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:43   #17

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

A followup to this post. My trip went well, but I discovered the VHF was not happy being so close to the outboard motor and the tiller pilot. Would this problem be resolved with an extension pole, or should I move the antenna to the mast?
The mast currently has no electrical cables in it at all, so if I was to add VHF cable, I should probably pull power and perhaps a seatalk cable up at the same time. Thoughts on that?
I would need quick connectors top and bottom as this is a trailer sailor and mast comes down after a trip, so need to be able to unplug everything, especially at the bottom.
Should I do something with a 6 pole waterproof connector maybe? or keep it all separate?
Will the seatalk affect VHF reception if I add wind vane later? I am thinking Raymarine i60.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:49   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Rec boaters don’t need a radio licence in Canada.
Since when? We don't need a station license but we still DO NEED an operators license in order to transmit. it's can a ROC(M).
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Curious what antenna was being used for the 11 meter (CB) band on board..might be used on the 10 meter (amateur) band..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 09:43   #20

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
A followup to this post. My trip went well, but I discovered the VHF was not happy being so close to the outboard motor and the tiller pilot. Would this problem be resolved with an extension pole, or should I move the antenna to the mast?
The mast currently has no electrical cables in it at all, so if I was to add VHF cable, I should probably pull power and perhaps a seatalk cable up at the same time. Thoughts on that?
I would need quick connectors top and bottom as this is a trailer sailor and mast comes down after a trip, so need to be able to unplug everything, especially at the bottom.
Should I do something with a 6 pole waterproof connector maybe? or keep it all separate?
Will the seatalk affect VHF reception if I add wind vane later? I am thinking Raymarine i60.
Glad the trip was a success

The top of the mast is definitely the best place for the VHF antenna, it not only gets it further away from on-board sources of interference, but the higher elevation will also get you the best range from the radio too. As a temporary measure an extension pole should definitely help.

If you do run wires up your mast, do not combine the VHF antenna cable in the same connector as anything else, it should be a proper coaxial-cable connector, the most common is a PL259 connector. Since your mast comes down every trip, I would just run wires one at a time as you need them, and not bother running wires for future expansion. Do be aware that wires inside the mast will slap against the walls of the mast as the boat moves producing some noise and potential chafe unless there is some kind of protection.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf