Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 10:24   #1

Boat: Millenium Farr 65
Caribbean Shore Power

Hi guys
I'm setting up a boat to long term cruise the Caribbean. Currently set up with a 110v shore power hook up.
I want to make adaptors for any shore power outlet I might find in the islands.
I'm aware of the problems with cable sizing etc. Only thing running off the shore power is a smart charger.
Any ideas where I can research the different outlets and voltages?
The boat will be doing all the major Carib regattas.
At the moment I'm thinking I need a 16amp 220v plug, a 32amp 220v plug and a 110 plug.
Am I missing anything?
David Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 11:45   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Caribbean Shore Power

If your smart charger says it handles 110 -240V and 50 - 60 hz then you should be fine if that is the only device connected to shore power. If you want to heat water for example you may need a 240v - 110V transformer, the HZ won't matter for element type heating. Is your smart charger also an inverter or is that separate?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 23:22   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Caribbean Shore Power

I have a 220V boat and have only one plug for each of the two power cables, when changing from US-Shore power 240V to standard European short power 240V I have to open the plug and change the leads (I don't worry about the 50Hz and 60Hz difference, as my charger takes care of that and the A/C system can use either), but the plug-and-socket remain the same. And the bigger marinas sometimes offer both power systems so one doesn't need to change wiring.

I have to admit that I bought spare plugs for various systems, but they have been sitting, unused, in storage for 10 years! I don't go into marinas very often, but when I do I really want that shore power.

Tags
Caribbean, power, rib, shore power