Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 05:52   #16

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Caribbean cruising and cell phone question.

We mainly use Skype and Skype Out (to contact phones), however for SPRINT users, they have a GLOBAL ROAMING PLAN, which costs nothing to add to your service. Data and text are free and voice (in, out & voicemail) is $0.20 per minute. It worked well for us in the BVI's. George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 16:23   #17

Boat: Hunter 410 1998

how is sprint working in usvi and bvi's

thanks
tjandoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 18:35   #18

Boat: Oyster 66

Local data sims are good as you get data and phone with voip. The trouble is it's often a mega chore to get them. I don't bother and track down free wifi, which is pretty easy to get. Sometimes you have to buy a meal to get the code, sometimes you can guess it and often it is open. Buy a good antenna and a UBNT Bullet bridge/router or similar. I have also a directional antenna, but never bother with it, the omnidirectional works well enough 99% of the time. The French islands have EU rates, so if u r like me with an EU sim then it is dirt cheap per day. I'll miss that come Brexit day.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:23   #19

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

TO ALL REGARDING SPRINT IN PUERTO RICO / USVI / BVI,
I have been a SPRINT customer for many years (30+) and have been coming to Puerto Rico (Wife is from PR), the USVI and the BVI for over 40 years as we own a boat in the BVI's. SPRINT of yore had a coverage problem, however over the last 15 years, in addition to their own expansion, they have entered into many roaming agreements with local providers to rectify that problem. Ensure that your SPRINT plan includes free roaming!

For years, I have had no connection problems in PR / USVI / BVI, when line of sight to the USVI. Two years ago, I learned of SPRINT'S GLOBAL ROAMING PLAN for use when outside of the USA. It costs absolutely nothing to add, nor maintain, on your plan unless you use it, then it is $0.20 per minute for Voice (IN / Out / Voicemail) Text and Data are free! I have been using this plan for two years now and, in fact, am currently using it to communicate with SPRINT GLOBAL ROAMING friends on our boat in the BVI's, as I type from PR.

I have taken two Caribbean cruises within the last year and my SPRINT GLOBAL ROAMING worked at most of our island destinations for checking in with home vs $7.95 per minute using the ship's communication. NOT!
George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:07   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjandoverguy View Post
how is sprint working in usvi and bvi's

thanks
Been cruising completely around St Thomas, same for Culebra, Puerto Rico, and part of St John in the past ten days. Sprint coverage everywhere.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cell phone, cruising, phone, rib