Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 19:09   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Can I replace a 6ft piece of RG-58U between my VHF radio and the mast? With an 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by betwys1 View Post
People who cannot measure losses in UHF connectors at 150 MHz are not really trying. Look at this experimental check on connector loss:

https://www.hamradio.me/connectors/u...t-results.html

bottom line - replace UHF with ANY other connector! N BNC etc., etc.
Tape up connectors with flexible self-amalgamating tape or waterproof putty.

Brian W (for what it's worth: FCC GROL/Radar endorsement)

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...icense-program
thanks for posting that report. It is kinda confusing, but it appears that the author set out to prove that the UHF connector is inferior to the other types, and he succeeded. But, I don't think he showed that using them at 150 MHz would result in significant losses, ie noticeable performance degradation in our marine applications.

I believe the bottom line for the OP is that he will not suffer if he uses a UHF barrel and two males to allow disonnection at the base of his mast or where the cable penetrates the deck... if he uses quality connectors and does a good job of installing the connectors to the cables.

Jim
Old 08-05-2020, 19:16   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Can I replace a 6ft piece of RG-58U between my VHF radio and the mast? With an 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
I use Temflex and 3M super 88 on the coax connector and the connector barrel. The Temflex is wrapped around the coax, the connector and then finally the upper part of the barrel connector that sits above the deck. I then wrap 3M super 88 tape over this to contain the Temflex in place.

What I'm asking about is the seal between the barrel connector as it goes through the fiberglass deck. The "stuff" that seals against water entering the interior of the boat around the flange of the barrel connector.
I would encourage you use 3M Scotch® Tape 23 in lieu of the Temflex. IMO, tape 23 is about a thousand times better!

As for the seal between the barrel and the deck, use whatever sealant / adhesive is generally available in your area or even glass it in place.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 21:14   #48

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I would encourage you use 3M Scotch® Tape 23 in lieu of the Temflex. IMO, tape 23 is about a thousand times better!

As for the seal between the barrel and the deck, use whatever sealant / adhesive is generally available in your area or even glass it in place.
OK, thanks, I'll check that out.

I live near marine store supplies so have access to most anything. I was looking for a recommendation on a seal or adhesive that was serviceable and wouldn't evolve into a problem later with exposure to constant moisture and sunlight.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 21:24   #49
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
OK, thanks, I'll check that out.

I live near marine store supplies so have access to most anything. I was looking for a recommendation on a seal or adhesive that was serviceable and wouldn't evolve into a problem later with exposure to constant moisture and sunlight.
I’ve not had good results with many sealants/adhesives in that application. I recommend 3M 4200 even though others, like 4000 UV sound like a better fit... they did not work for me. 4200, 5200 both good.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:25   #50

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...Y-_-PDP-Mobile
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
Very interesting.

I guess you install male/female connectors above deck level to disconnect the antenna when lowering the mast.
Old 09-05-2020, 14:32   #52

I step my mast each season so need to disconnect. Although you can have the connection on the inside if you have room. The point of these devices are to partially disassemble them so a large connector can pass through and then reassemble into a weather tight seal around the cable.
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 16:50   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
I step my mast each season so need to disconnect. Although you can have the connection on the inside if you have room. The point of these devices are to partially disassemble them so a large connector can pass through and then reassemble into a weather tight seal around the cable.
Ok, I understand the value of having a one piece coax connection from the base of the antenna to the radio. My radio is located near the hatch in the galley and the coax is suspended with hangers to keep it out of sight and prevent things from fouling it in it's long path to the radio. Pulling the coax out of the hangers in this convoluted path may be more trouble than having a fixed thru hull connector especially if I can make that connector waterproof.

This entry point hardware is worth investigating especially if the radio equipment is near the entry point of the coax.

I have a perfect application. I'm feeding power and data connectors for a chart plotter that I remove when it's not in use. This would allow the equipment connector which usually remains outside in the cockpit to be pulled back inside when not in use. The connector has a "weather proof" cover but I'm always nervous about leaving it outside in the salt air.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2020, 17:49   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

n5ama, did you get a straight barrel connector (F/F) or a thru bulkhead F/F connector like this

https://www.amazon.com/outstanding-N.../dp/B07BXZ2RYJ

or like this

https://www.pasternack.com/n-female-...-pe9128-P.aspx

??
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 20:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
n5ama, did you get a straight barrel connector (F/F) or a thru bulkhead F/F connector like this

https://www.amazon.com/outstanding-N.../dp/B07BXZ2RYJ

or like this

https://www.pasternack.com/n-female-...-pe9128-P.aspx

??
I got the thru bulkhead Amphenol connector. The price was much less than I expected for single quantity and delivery was less than a week.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:45   #56

Boat: Lancer 27PS

I am sure this has been mentioned, but who said you had to have the barrel connector in the deck of the coach roof? Run your cable thru the deck and seal it if you want, then use a barrel connector to connect the mast antenna to the radio. Just, as mentioned, leave extra both below deck and in the mast for repair work.

JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
I am sure this has been mentioned, but who said you had to have the barrel connector in the deck of the coach roof? Run your cable thru the deck and seal it if you want, then use a barrel connector to connect the mast antenna to the radio. Just, as mentioned, leave extra both below deck and in the mast for repair work.

JMHO
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I’m aware that I could replace the current UHF thru deck with a device that just clamps down on the coax and install the disconnect above or below the deck. I just wanted to keep the same kind of stuff as it originally had. I also have the mast lights connected in that area with a thru hull so it would be convenient to disconnect both at the same time.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:47   #58

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Understood. Just trying to keep the theme of the OP.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 07:02   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Don't use nickel plated connectors for VHF & above, and other tips found here for PL-259 (UHF) connectors.
Are there any actual measurements supporting that at e.g. 160MHz? regarding practicalities, I understand, nickel can't be soldered but you can as well use a compression fitting and have to solder only the central pin.
Old 15-07-2020, 21:25   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
thanks for posting that report. It is kinda confusing, but it appears that the author set out to prove that the UHF connector is inferior to the other types, and he succeeded. But, I don't think he showed that using them at 150 MHz would result in significant losses, ie noticeable performance degradation in our marine applications.

I believe the bottom line for the OP is that he will not suffer if he uses a UHF barrel and two males to allow disonnection at the base of his mast or where the cable penetrates the deck... if he uses quality connectors and does a good job of installing the connectors to the cables.

Jim
If losing 10% to 20% of your signal power through a single UHF connector is not noticeable (which it probably isn't unless you instrument the transmission path) then fine! Go ahead! <g>
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hf radio, mast, radio, vhf