Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 11:12   #1

Can I outfit my boat with EDR/black box??

Essentially I am looking for a black box/edr similar to those found in automobiles and would be practical for recreational watercrafts (boats, jet skis, etc.). I was wondering if there are any systems commercially available to record data in the event of a boating accident?? And if so, how do you download/analyze the data??

I am only familiar with AIS receivers as a form of data retrieval, but are there any systems which record such data as:
  • vehicle speed
  • steering input
  • vehicle position history
  • vehicle usage (driving/idle/engine off)
  • diagnostic codes
cg354733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 12:49   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Can I outfit my boat with EDR/black box??

The vast majority of vessels do not have the data you are asking about....much less have it recorded and available to a database.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 13:14   #3

I'm curious, is it that vessels are just not equipped with these devices? Are they available for aftermarket; perhaps for performance logging?

I am surprised that the maritime standards are so far behind automobiles in that regard - EDRs have been in vehicles for decades!
Old 28-04-2021, 13:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I do believe there are devices like this for megayachts and could probably be adapted for smaller boats but have not seen anything off the shelf targeted for the recreational boater market.

It wouldn't be that difficult to put one together out of off the shelf parts. There are several companies that make interfaces to an NMEA2000 net work and a variety of sensors that will detect engine temp. water. and more. GPS data should already be on the network.

With all that in place should not be too difficult to add a data logger to save target information from the network.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 13:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg354733 View Post
I am surprised that the maritime standards are so far behind automobiles in that regard - EDRs have been in vehicles for decades!
Totally a matter of scale. How many millions of cars vs thousands of boats? Also with boats they only make 5-10-20 of a certain model. Some of the bigger production boats might have dozens of one model. Cars most models are made in the tens of thousands.
Old 28-04-2021, 14:03   #6

I have seen the Maretron VDR100 as a viable option as its interconnected with NMEA2000 network - that is to say that the vessel is even equipped with such a network.

It looks like unless you have all of the necessary electronics with useful data being recorded and connected to a network, there's not much else available as far as an "event data recorder" goes.

And even then the data is volatile and recording is not being triggered by a single "crash-like" event, just being looped constantly until overwritten.
Old 28-04-2021, 14:24   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm curious as to why one would want such a device on board a private vessel? I know that I have no such desire.

Jim
Old 28-04-2021, 16:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have seen the Maretron VDR100 as a viable option as its interconnected with NMEA2000 network - that is to say that the vessel is even equipped with such a network.

It looks like unless you have all of the necessary electronics with useful data being recorded and connected to a network, there's not much else available as far as an "event data recorder" goes.

And even then the data is volatile and recording is not being triggered by a single "crash-like" event, just being looped constantly until overwritten.
Well that looks like exactly what the OP requested. Just add a selection of sensors to the network and you're good.
Old 29-04-2021, 05:20   #9

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Essentially I am looking for a black box/edr similar to those found in automobiles and would be practical for recreational watercrafts (boats, jet skis, etc.). I was wondering if there are any systems commercially available to record data in the event of a boating accident?? And if so, how do you download/analyze the data??

I am only familiar with AIS receivers as a form of data retrieval, but are there any systems which record such data as:
  • vehicle speed
  • steering input
  • vehicle position history
  • vehicle usage (driving/idle/engine off)
  • diagnostic codes
As long as the stuff gets reported on the NMEA2000 network, there are several solutions. For engine data, some engines can be connected to the N2K without much mystery, others need interface boxes.

A simple way of recording everything:
https://www.yachtd.com/products/recorder.html

As a hobby project, I'm working on a Raspberry PI version that not only records the data, but tries to upload it constantly to the cloud as well:
https://charlotte.lc

And if you go down the Raspberry route there is Canboat, SignalK and other mature projects that will probably do want you want.
Old 29-04-2021, 07:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm curious as to why one would want such a device on board a private vessel? I know that I have no such desire.

Jim
Firstly, I work in accident reconstruction so the possibility of EDR data in boats/personal watercrafts is of great interest to me. Seeing as boating accidents occur quite a bit in Florida, I'm looking for ways to interpret and analyze any data that I can find.

Secondly, I would think the owner may not have a desire for one, but why aren't the manufacturers or insurance companies (or even maritime orgs) looking into this data retrieval for safety standards, regulations, etc.?? This is how airbags/EDRs came to be in vehicles, after all.

Another reason may be for insurance defense in case of an accident you are able to clearly show "I gave way, here is the steering input" or "I was not going as fast as they claim". I guess you don't know you need it until it's too late.
Old 29-04-2021, 08:45   #11

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

There are a few DigitalYacht AIS transponders with on board SD card memory. They can log in any information available, such as GPS position, calculated speed and bearing and more.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 08:54   #12

Then regulation would probably follow and the freedom of the seas would be lost forever.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 08:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Then regulation would probably follow and the freedom of the seas would be lost forever.
LOL seems a bit dramatic, Stewie
Old 29-04-2021, 09:44   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I'm not so sure it is a good idea to allow technology to interfere with natural selection...
Old 29-04-2021, 09:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I'm not so sure it is a good idea to allow technology to interfere with natural selection...

Tags
Black Box, boat, electronic data, event data recorder