Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 06:20   #1

C120 Is the display dead or the entire system

I have a Raymarine C120 chart plotter which appears to have shuffled off the mortal coil. ( it appears to have died.)

Is there a relatively simple way to determine if the problem is with the display or with the entire system. I have a multitester but that is the limit of my electronic armamentarium.

I plan on replacing all the electronics but I don't want to do it on the dock in the back of beyond. If it is just the display I can get a used one and hopefully that will get me home.

Thx
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: C120 Is the display dead or the entire system

Have you established that there is power going into the back, and that the connections are good? Complete failure at once suggests a simple power problem.

Does it have any switches that return a beep?

Has there been a lightning strike or other frying event?

Substitution may be your only avenue. Buy a used one off ebay, and at worst, you've got a spare.

Consider when you get to replacing your instrumentation whether an integrated system is right for you. OpenCPN on a cheap laptop lets you know whether the problem is software or the computer. Separate depth, AIS, radar, etc. gives you redundancy if one item goes down. On the other hand, it takes up more space and requires integration of information (integrate AIS screen and radar screen, etc.) in your mind. Your call.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:14   #3

tkeithlu,
No lightning strike. In line fuse is good. Unit worked okay last time we were out, about a month ago. Other instruments on the same circuit are good. I think SeaTalk is working because autopilot and wind indicator are working. I can't find anything in the owners manual or online to indicate what pin(s) are power to the unit. I also don't know what kind of voltage I could expect to see.
All the switches on the display are non-responsive.

I tried to put a picture of the connector here but the website want a url.

I like CPN. I particularly like the fact that no one has a vested interest in making it obsolete. I am somewhere around page 700 in the manual. It is heavy going.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:27   #4

ON my Raymarine c80 I thought it was dead and then read how to fix it on the SeaRay forum:

Gently pry off the plastic bezel that surrounds the system (see the owner's manual- this is the trickiest part of the project).
Then you will see about 20 little screws around the outside that surround the display.
Gently start tightening these screws in a roundabout pattern, mine were all looses about 1/2 to 1 turn.
Turn the display back on, mine fired right up. Seems the vibration going up the steering pedestal over time makes these screws back out over time. I did this about 3 years ago and had to do it again this spring March 2021.
I hope this helps.
gleason99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:17   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
tkeithlu,
No lightning strike. In line fuse is good. Unit worked okay last time we were out, about a month ago. Other instruments on the same circuit are good. I think SeaTalk is working because autopilot and wind indicator are working. I can't find anything in the owners manual or online to indicate what pin(s) are power to the unit. I also don't know what kind of voltage I could expect to see.
All the switches on the display are non-responsive.

I tried to put a picture of the connector here but the website want a url.

I like CPN. I particularly like the fact that no one has a vested interest in making it obsolete. I am somewhere around page 700 in the manual. It is heavy going.
As mentioned by Gleason.
Displays are replaceable on those units.

Raymarine C120 | Raymarine C120 Manuals
http://www.uchimata.fr/wp-content/up...n-Series-C.pdf
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:18   #6

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleason99 View Post
ON my Raymarine c80 I thought it was dead and then read how to fix it on the SeaRay forum:

Gently pry off the plastic bezel that surrounds the system (see the owner's manual- this is the trickiest part of the project).
Then you will see about 20 little screws around the outside that surround the display.
Gently start tightening these screws in a roundabout pattern, mine were all looses about 1/2 to 1 turn.
Turn the display back on, mine fired right up. Seems the vibration going up the steering pedestal over time makes these screws back out over time. I did this about 3 years ago and had to do it again this spring March 2021.
I hope this helps.
That, and that you can get the manuals online from Raymarine; those show the pinouts for each available socket on the rear.
C-Series_Installation_Manual
C-Series_Operating_Guide
C-Series_Reference_Manual_2007-Update

Installation chapter 3 covers cables and pinouts.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:11   #7

Another clue would be does it take any power showing on your ammeter?
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:39   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have fixed a few C80 plotters for fellow cruisers. This was several years ago (most seem to have been replaced by now) and all (from memory) were the smaller C80 model. I don't know if the same fault is common in the C120, but I expect the construction is similar.

The fault in each case was a circuit board that pops out of a retaining clip and therefore does not mate correctly with the socket. The fix is simply accomplished by pushing the circuit board back in place. The only difficulty is you have to dismantle most of the chart plotter to gain access to the offending board.

I think this was the problem area. The plastic clip holding down the circuit board can been seen in foreground. Of course your problem may be completely different, but it is worth a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	244672  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Skip the expensive scrap. Get an NMEA to WLAN Gateway and a cheap tablet or Notebook. You may get away with 6-700 USD. That's it

And if the tablet dies.. 100 USD for a new one.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03   #10

Thanks everyone. I have the installation manual and while it lists the wire function by color it does not list it by pin placement. When I test it I have 12 volts on two different leads but I don't know if there is a numbering convention. I took the whole thing down to component parts cleaned all the contacts and screwed everything back in securely. I was suspicious of that circuit board Noelex 77 so I gave those connectors a good dose of contact cleaner and made very sure they were pushed in. Regretfully it didn't work.

I put the ammeter in line and there was no flow when the power on button was pushed. So I think the display is deceased. Hopefully the rest of the system has not followed suite. I was suspicious of the power on button but to visual inspection it is fine and it is integrated into a circuit board so it is not readily amenable to testing.
I think the problem is with the display unit but the problem with an integrated system like this I am just not sure. I would hate to drop $400 for an ebay display unit and find that didn't solve the problem.
I have navionics on two phones and a tablet so I can get by. I am trying to get a handle on Open CPN but as I mentioned previously it is heavy going.
Unfortunately another problem has cropped up which is a bit more mission critical, that is the depth sounder has quit. I am going to post this separately.
thanks everyone

stay safe
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

The 4 big pins on the radar are the two-pair supply lines. The others are data.

There's a guy who's taken over the repairs on obsolete Raymarine gear; he will replace the screen for a flat charge and make sure everything else is well seated. Loose screen (advice above about tightening the screws) is a common complaint.

Javier Mederos, Seawire Marine in Ft. Lauderdale...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57   #12

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have fixed a few C80 plotters for fellow cruisers. This was several years ago (most seem to have been replaced by now) and all (from memory) were the smaller C80 model. I don't know if the same fault is common in the C120, but I expect the construction is similar.

The fault in each case was a circuit board that pops out of a retaining clip and therefore does not mate correctly with the socket. The fix is simply accomplished by pushing the circuit board back in place. The only difficulty is you have to dismantle most of the chart plotter to gain access to the offending board.

I think this was the problem area. The plastic clip holding down the circuit board can been seen in foreground. Of course your problem may be completely different, but it is worth a look.
I repaired a Raymarine plotter for my neighbour several years ago. His display was only horizontal green lines. We took the display out and disassembled everything. Thoroughly cleaned all flat cable connectors and assembled everything. Switched on and all was OK. Took us an afternoon on a mooring south of Ischia in the bay of Naples. There were videos on youtube about this repair at that time.
Take it apart, you have nothing to loose!!!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 20:48   #13

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgarrett View Post
Another clue would be does it take any power showing on your ammeter?
If you are completely sure that the cables and connectors carry power to the C120, this is a good idea to see if the problem is with the display or elsewhere (probably the internal power supply).

If the ammeter (multitester) reads around 0, the problem is not with the screen, do not think about changing it.
Remember to connect the ammeter in series with the power cord.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:48   #14

I hooked up the ammeter on either side of the in-line fuse. ie in series and there was no current flow when it tried to power up. There was voltage at the fuse when tested to ground.
Is there a webpage somewhere that lists what replacement displays are plug and play with the C120? Or does anyone know offhand?
thx
Old 10-09-2021, 10:18   #15

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
I hooked up the ammeter on either side of the in-line fuse. ie in series and there was no current flow when it tried to power up. There was voltage at the fuse when tested to ground.
Is there a webpage somewhere that lists what replacement displays are plug and play with the C120? Or does anyone know offhand?
thx
Have you tried support yet? Thru Raymarine?
Try this, https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=6321.html
Or.

https://www.raymarine.com/service-and-support/
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote