Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 17:57   #1

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
C120 classic stuck in loop (startup)

Good Evening folks

Ok, one more - I have a Raymarine C120 MFD
I've upgraded to the latest firmware and it's working just fine with my old Navionics Gold cards... but!

I purchased the new Navionics+? and I've downloaded the latest Navionics charts, but when I try to use that card, the system simply cycles between the startup screeen, an empty page & black over and over again until I power it off.

I'm getting on the phone with Raymarine tech support tomorrow, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has gonethrough the upgrade process successfully and might know what the heck is going on.

BTW, I also went in and deleted a subset of the files as suggested on the Raymarine support forum, but that didn't help.

Thanks again,
Old 12-06-2017, 05:08   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: C120 classic stuck in loop (startup)

Keep me posted, I sometimes work on a boat with a C120. I've done the exact same thing, bought the update CF card and downloaded the charts, then deleted that one file type they say will improve performance.

Raymarine has live techs who actually answer the phone. So far they haven't helped me much, except to confirm that I'd need to pay $50-$150 US for an app that will allow me to convert waypoints and routes to their ".fsh" format. But they DID answer the phone.

My suspicion is with the CF card. Maybe the data or file system got corrupted during the download and copy to the card. You might be able to format the card and start over.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55   #3

Problem Solved!

Ok, solved enough...

Raymarine was able to help, so kudos to them for continuing to at least somewhat support a now 11yr old piece of electronic equipment!

The issue is with the amount of data we're trying to load up.
Seems the limit is some where around 2GB of chart data (nothing to do with the size of the CF card)

I've now limited my chart selection to include from my current location (Deale MD) to the southern most tip of New Brunswick, Canada which came out to be 614MB (the chart installer software tells you how much storage it needs as you alter your chart area)

I did leave out the SonarChart data which would have added an additional 1.2 GB (theoretically ok) but I'll play with that later!

Anyway, while not the "USA & Canada" it's more data on one card than I had originally on each of my Navionics Gold regional cards, so more than good enough for me.

Hope this helps someone and as always, if anyone has additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Old 13-06-2017, 04:42   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Nice! Good to hear Raymarine helped you out. When I tried to download too much data the software complained. I ended up doing the same as you, pick just what I'm likely to need and not try to grab it all.

I suspect going even smaller would help the performance of that old C120 workhorse, too. Not sure how many updates you get before you have to pay again, but maybe I'll give it a try.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 06:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Nice! ... Not sure how many updates you get before you have to pay again, but maybe I'll give it a try.
Good day CaptTom - the subscription is good for 1 years worth of updates. At the moment, the subscription renewal is $99 and they honor the old Navionics Gold cards as being eligible for an update.

It's a pretty good deal in my book... I still remember paying close to $200/region!

regards,