Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 10:34   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Buying used advise (ST60 wind)

Hi Folks,

Putting out a feeler here, to what is undoubtedly a dumb question.

I came across a local Craigslist ad for a used full set up for a Raymarine ST60 wind instrument. I am interested, but Leary. The fellow says the unit is basically new, and has had little use. He said he bought it as a back up for his boat, and has since sold his boat.

The instruments on my boat are antiquated and do work, but an ST60 would be a nice upgrade and the price seems very good. The fellow is asking $575 cdn, BUT I am getting a niggling gut feeling, and have become less sure about buying used off craigslist.

I know it's always a risk buying used, and was wondering what other people's experience is? I typically trust my gut feeling, but the fellow says he will guarantee that it works like new. I'm conflicted.

Is it worth the risk? It would save me a grand if it works, but could cost that much if it doesn't.

What says the group?

Steve
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 10:40   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Buying used advise (ST60 wind)

Take a spare car battery with you. Connect the sensors. Power up the instrument(s). Spin the anemometer cups and the direction vane. Do they feel free and easy? Do the changes show up on the instrument?

After that you are trusting that there isn't something hidden, but a basic check is really easy.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 02:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you do purchase them, you may find this useful:
Raytheon ST-60 Digital Instruments SERVICE Manual
http://www.olajedatos.com/documentos...e%20Manual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 03:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That has to be worth an offer given the time of year and Xmas coming up.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:22   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Take a spare car battery with you. Connect the sensors. Power up the instrument(s). Spin the anemometer cups and the direction vane. Do they feel free and easy? Do the changes show up on the instrument?

After that you are trusting that there isn't something hidden, but a basic check is really easy.
Whoa!

Take a 12 Vdc power supply with current limiting or over-current protection (1A is sufficient) so if anything is wrong with the system or your wiring to it, you do not create sparks and fire or explosion.

While not specifically stated, it could certainly be assumed a 12 Vdc marine battery is implied. It would be significant over-kill and expose you and the seller to all kinds of unnecessary risk.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 09:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're kidding right

Surely he can manage to wire up a ST60 power cable to a 12v battery. With an in line fuse if you want, but it really isn't that difficult.

Pete
Old 23-11-2019, 10:39   #7

Boat: Aloha 34

Thanks for the feed back gentlemen.

I went and saw the unit today, and took a pass. There were just too many inconsistencies in the sellers story. He stated that he had bought this unit as a spare back up when he refit his boat a few years back (who does that?), but it had most obviously been mounted and used. He didn't have the rear case connectors on hand so I could not test it, no backing plate, no seal, condensation under the screen in a warm house, wear on the masthead line, etc...
Caveat emptor kicked in and I thanked him for his time, but decided not to chance it.

Now to explore the wonderful world of new and potentially wireless!

Cheers
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 11:09   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You're kidding right

Surely he can manage to wire up a ST60 power cable to a 12v battery. With an in line fuse if you want, but it really isn't that difficult.

Pete
No, I am not kidding.

This is not a laughing matter.

IMHO many are way too lax when handling hazardous, dangerous materials, and a 12 Vdc marine battery certainly fits this classification.

Marine 12 Vdc marine batteries contain hazardous materials, are very heavy, and could cause property damage or personal injury by their weight alone, and store a huge amount of energy just waiting to be released by some foolish handling.

It is a “Tim the Toolman” approach to powering a lower energy device, just like mounting a jet engine on a lawnmower.

Totally unnecessary, way overkill, and patently unsafe.

If some bloke brought a 12 Vdc marine battery to test a low energy instrument
I had for sale, I would think to myself, “What an idiot, he doesn’t even realize all of the potential hazards he is trying to expose us to”. Out loud, I would say, “leave that in your trunk, don’t hurt yourself or your property taking it back, and I will power it up with a proper device far better suited, and much safer for this test.”

There is a reason there are so many marine electrical standards associated with storage batteries. They can be extremely dangerous if mishandled. Disregarding this completely to pull a stunt like this is extremely foolish in my opinion.

Sorry for being so blunt but when someone recommends something this foolish (in my opinion) I believe it warrants a direct, no nonsense or pussy footing warning against,

Every individual is free to expose themselves to whatever hazards they wish, but please don’t suggest or recommend others do same in a public forum where we don’t know the knowledge or understanding level of the audience, to the numerous hazards involved.
Old 23-11-2019, 12:13   #9

If you decide not to get the wind instrument please forward my info to the seller.
ken
sailor2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:28   #10

Boat: Stevens 47

These kind of deals come up pretty frequently on eBay. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used ST60 instrument. They are quite well made and reliable.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 13:42   #11

Boat: Hunter 49

I just upgraded all my Raymarine instruments to i70s and Axiom Pro MFDs. I still have my ST60s wind, Tridata etc if anyone interested send me private msg. All functioning perfectly well.
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 14:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
No, I am not kidding.

This is not a laughing matter.

IMHO many are way too lax when handling hazardous, dangerous materials, and a 12 Vdc marine battery certainly fits this classification.

Marine 12 Vdc marine batteries contain hazardous materials, are very heavy, and could cause property damage or personal injury by their weight alone, and store a huge amount of energy just waiting to be released by some foolish handling.
Well, that is certainly an interesting view point. I suppose you prefer all wiring to be done by professionals, for a fee of course.

I recently changed the stern light to LED, should I have paid a professional to do that as well?

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Pete
Old 23-11-2019, 14:29   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Well, that is certainly an interesting view point. I suppose you prefer all wiring to be done by professionals, for a fee of course.

I recently changed the stern light to LED, should I have paid a professional to do that as well?

Pete
Smug responses like this one quoted are quite unbecoming in my opinion.

No, I do not prefer all wiring to be done by a professional for a fee.

I prefer all boat wiring to be performed properly to marine electrical standards and sound practice so as to not jeopardize the safety of the vessel, crew, and neighbouring boats.

If any boater is not willing or capable of doing so, then I recommend they leave it to someone who is.

Do you have a problem with this?
Old 23-11-2019, 14:54   #14
cruiser

Quote:

Pete
PS, if you know how to change a light fixture properly, then there is no need to hire a professional to do it. If you don’t, or don’t have time, then hiring a professional would be a valid option.

Please provide photos of your installation, including the fixture make and model and the ratings of the branch circuit cable and over-current protection, as well as the connections you made, and the tests you performed, and I will advise if it was done in accordance with marine electrical standards and sound practice. No charge. (Pro bono in the hope that I can help others in the boating community understand the need for doing even what may appear to be the simplest of tasks, properly.)
Old 23-11-2019, 17:58   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Hi Folks,

Putting out a feeler here, to what is undoubtedly a dumb question.

I came across a local Craigslist ad for a used full set up for a Raymarine ST60 wind instrument. I am interested, but Leary. The fellow says the unit is basically new, and has had little use. He said he bought it as a back up for his boat, and has since sold his boat.

The instruments on my boat are antiquated and do work, but an ST60 would be a nice upgrade and the price seems very good. The fellow is asking $575 cdn, BUT I am getting a niggling gut feeling, and have become less sure about buying used off craigslist.

I know it's always a risk buying used, and was wondering what other people's experience is? I typically trust my gut feeling, but the fellow says he will guarantee that it works like new. I'm conflicted.

Is it worth the risk? It would save me a grand if it works, but could cost that much if it doesn't.

What says the group?

Steve
Hey Steve,

Not a dumb question at all. When it comes to purchasing something used from someone you don’t know, there are certainly risks. (This is why detailed inspections by highly knowledgeable persons and/or marine surveys are recommended when purchasing used boats; to be sure the item is in the condition advertised.

I agree with you that it would be rare that an individual would purchase a spare complete wind instrument and leave it in the box. However, in my travels I have seen some surprising spares on boats, so while rare, it could be true, but warrants skepticism in my humble opinion.

One of the issues that applies to marine electronics is the rapid depreciation in value. The instant one carries an electronic device out of the store (or received it online) it instantly depreciates about 25%, and then declines by about 5% every year, if it is new, unused and in the original packaging. If it is used, with normal wear and tear, about 10% devaluation per year. When the manufacture retires the product it takes a sudden hit in value. When they stop supporting it, then it pretty much loses all value, (often this stuff can be had for free, or a bottle of wine, if you know someone upgrading).

Raymarine still sells the anemometer, and replacement parts for it. They do not sell the ST60 wind display, and I don’t believe they support it with replacement parts anymore. (This is about 25 year old technology).

I certainly wouldn’t buy it (for more than maybe ten bucks) if I couldn’t test it and verify is functions properly.

PS, I am a certified Raymarine installer.

Tags
buying, grass, wind