Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 02:59   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Buying gear online

I believe it very handy for a cruising yachtsman to be able to buy gear online. But I wonder why some people seem reticent to use the service?

I know when I first started buying on line I worried that I would buy and pay for the gear but it would never turn up. But if that happens eBay/Paypal will refund you your money and they will sort it out with the seller.

But sellers are terrified you will give them a bad rating! They often email me to say the goods are in the mail and if there are any problems please let them know and they will sort it out. "Please don't give us a bad report...."

You have complete control over your purchase: identity of seller, your min/max price you will pay, brand of item, location of item, used/new etc etc.

Last week I bought an 18V battery for my Hitachi tools and when I got it I used it once and then it wouldn't hold a charge. So I contacted them saying

"I am having trouble with the 18V L ion battery I bought. It worked fine once but now it is not holding a charge. I am using the correct Hitachi Charger.

I've just had the battery on charge for an hour. When I inserted the battery and switched the charger on the fan motor immediately started whirring. Just now (an hour o so later) I checked the voltage with my multi-meter and the voltage recorded 19.91V and then immediately dropped back to 1V. I plugged the battery into several of my Hitachi tools and they were completely dead.

Can you tell me how to how to revive the battery? I'd be quite happy to put the battery in the mail and get you to have a look at it . Please advise"

They replied

"Hi, really sorry for that , I would like to resend you a new battery for free ,is that OK ? I will test the battery before I ship out , please tell me is the same address as the old,and the old battery you can keep it, you don't need to return the old battery to me,hope hear from you again,have a great day! Lisa"

They are an Australian seller with a 99.2% feedback.

I am not trying to get rid of bricks and mortar sellers but they will go the way of he dodo anyway. Being able to order a part while out at sea and have it waiting for you at the port when you arrive must be a real convenience.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Buying gear online

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I believe it very handy for a cruising yachtsman to be able to buy gear online...
It can be, if you know exactly what you want.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:58   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

This one is an conundrum for me.

I love going into the old-school shops, the ones that smell like canvas or polyester resin or whatever they sell and talk to people who are subject matter experts.

I do not so much love driving 50-60 miles one way (90+km) to end up at a store and pay 2x what I can get the same parts for online, often without tax, and with free shipping. But sometimes you just want to go, buy it, and walk out with that part in your hand..

My favorite interactions have been with the smaller online outfits, calling them on the phone and talking through an order, especially with lines and turnbuckles and other fittings. Valley Rope and Racelite hardware come to mind.

I also had a great experience at West Marine (a retail chandler in the US) ordering lifelines through one of their rigging shops halfway across the country, another educational phone call with people who knew and cared.

It is scary when you pay xx$ for something 'technical' like the battery or electronics and they tell you to just keep it and they send you another one. Or maybe it's good they know exactly where their margins are at and how to make people happy. So far I have gotten a replacement VHF/UHF radio and a solar charge controller replaced with no issues.
Old 03-11-2020, 14:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

It is scary when you pay xx$ for something 'technical' like the battery or electronics and they tell you to just keep it and they send you another one. Or maybe it's good they know exactly where their margins are at and how to make people happy. So far I have gotten a replacement VHF/UHF radio and a solar charge controller replaced with no issues.

The seller I bought from has sold 208 of these batteries so he no doubt knows what the minuscule failure rate is. There is a 10 year warranty on the battery so he probably went back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

I agree with you that driving for hours to buy some items doesn't make sense.
Old 03-11-2020, 23:34   #5

or it could be a counterfeit battery, which is why it's not working right and why it's a good deal?
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:47   #6

I buy the vast majority of my purchases online, regardless of if it is boating based or not. The only issues I have are:

When I "sort of" know what i want so prefer to see and touch something first. This also applies when I want "8 of these."

When I need expert advice although many trade stores (vs sell anything drop shippers) are now very good at this over email or phone.

A judgement call needs to be made on cheap copies vs name brands.

It constantly amazes me that I can buy a widget for $4 including frieght from China yet it costs me $25 just to post a similar item domestically
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I do not so much love driving 50-60 miles one way (90+km) to end up at a store and pay 2x what I can get the same parts for online, often without tax, and with free shipping. But sometimes you just want to go, buy it, and walk out with that part in your hand...
This also applies to "tourist tax" where I have just arrived, the only shop I know of is the chandlery just outside the marina and i buy a "marine fastener" for $8 while a 316 bolt is 59c online. 😁
Old 04-11-2020, 02:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
I buy the vast majority of my purchases online ...
... When I need expert advice although many trade stores (vs sell anything drop shippers) are now very good at this over email or phone ...
That's called "strip & shop", where you strip one vendor of his services, and shop (& buy) from another (no service) vendor, on price.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That's called "strip & shop", where you strip one vendor of his services, and shop (& buy) from another (no service) vendor, on price.
That's not quite what I was referring to and certainly not what I was promoting.

I was referring to when I need advice, it's unlikely to be provided by generic Ebay or Aliexpress drop shippers who sell any product that they can source cheaply without any knowledge of the items that they sell. However, there is a growing number of online stores who are operated or staffed by subject experts who can and do provide credible advice remotely on how their products can be used, often over the phone or email. I'm happy to pay these a margin for their expertise and advice. I still end up saving money over going it alone and buying the wrong product three times. 😁
Old 04-11-2020, 02:44   #10

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

As full time cruisers we buy pretty much everything online apart from fresh veg and diesel.
Have done for 5 years, very rarely an issue.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:51   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

It constantly amazes me that I can buy a widget for $4 including frieght from China yet it costs me $25 just to post a similar item domestically
It amazed me when I needed gaskets for the heat exchanger end caps on our Cummins diesel.

Major Cummins dealer in Australia wanted near $300 each plus delivery and would be a couple of weeks to get here.
I wanted 10 of them (lifetime supply) so around $3000 for 10 paper gaskets

Cummins China had 10 of them on a plane, tracking every step of the way and in my hands in under a week for wait for it.......under $100 in total.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
or it could be a counterfeit battery, which is why it's not working right and why it's a good deal?
If it is counterfeit it certainly is not obvious. All the markings are on the battery etc (That would be the first thing I'd look for)

They offer a 10 year warranty on the battery.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's not quite what I was referring to and certainly not what I was promoting...
... I'm happy to pay these a margin for their expertise and advice. I still end up saving money over going it alone and buying the wrong product three times. 😁
Good on ya.
And accordingly, those 'online (or brick & mortar) stores who are operated or staffed by subject experts who can and do provide credible advice remotely', might still be in business (& helping us), next year.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Good on ya.
And accordingly, those 'online (or brick & mortar) stores who are operated or staffed by subject experts who can and do provide credible advice remotely', might still be in business (& helping us), next year.
I think I'm like most people: if I need advise buying something like a compass, navigation equipment or communications equipment I'd buy from a brick and mortar (or online) expert (you could make an expensive mistake if you didn't)

But if it is nuts/bolts, hand tools, adhesives, electrics (switches/relays/fuses/circuit breakers) I'd buy online.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:33   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

Coopec 43 I ordered 5 items from Arnold's Boat Shop and only three items turned up in the box today. There is an invoice that has photos of every item that should be in the box so the packer should be able to check they are there. No idea why they are not so it will be interesting to see what Arnold's has to say to me when they reply to my email. I imagine this is the sort of thing that drives the head office nuts. You don't even have to read to be able to understand a picture and what goes in the box!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, gear