Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35   #46

Boat: Bristol 34
Re: Butt Connector vs Solder

One afternoon I watched a novice sailor friend go back and forth to West Marine three times cursing "a bad lot of bilge pumps". Finally I went to help him to find out why brand new pumps would not work. The previous owner had wired the pump with that cheap brown 110V extension cord you use for Christmas tree lights and household wire nuts.

Kinda puts the "solder vs. crimp" argument in perspective.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36   #47

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Solder is great but on a boat corrosion is a problem as most solder has flux which is acid! It will corode over time so use crimps.
I would hope that most beginners trying to solder know the difference between rosin/acid core solder....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Gee I don't know what your Grandfather smoking has to do with wire conections?? Im sorry for his problems !! but he lasted longer then most and my conections last longer then most also !! LOL just my 2 cents ! and we don't smoke !!
It's an example of the ignorance that abounds. Claiming your inferior connections work for a while, is like the old smokers who claim it's safe to smoke because they live for awhile. But failure is inevitably sooner than you want it.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

Where can I buy a heat shrink, adhesive lined connector for cheap? I'm having trouble finding them at all, and they're well over a buck each!
Check eBay. I buy 3M connectors for around $30 for 200. They're at least as good as the Ancors. Or try Genuine Dealz.com if you want to pay a little more. West Marine has a set for about $40, but they skimp on the copper in the sleeves and ring terminals--stay away from those.
Old 01-07-2012, 14:50   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
It's an example of the ignorance that abounds. Claiming your inferior connections work for a while, is like the old smokers who claim it's safe to smoke because they live for awhile. But failure is inevitably sooner than you want it.
The real point is they DO work for awile...even as long as some of the fancy stuff you pay top dollar for...

A lot of boating stuff doen'y have to be to "yachting" or "space shuttle" standards to work just fine.

People that get "uppity" anout it show their true lack of experience on the water....
Old 01-07-2012, 15:35   #51

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh is 25 yrs + a pretty long time ?? the boats still sailing with a new owner and he's had no problems yet ! And I still don't get the smoker thing ?? what are ya saying ? Im mearly stateing what my experince has show me ! whats your EXPERINCE tell you? Im not trying to do or say anything to you ! so why all the Hate ?? O well I will wire my way and you do it your way !! I could care less !! Just sayin
Old 01-07-2012, 15:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The real point is they DO work for awile...even as long as some of the fancy stuff you pay top dollar for...

A lot of boating stuff doen'y have to be to "yachting" or "space shuttle" standards to work just fine.

People that get "uppity" anout it show their true lack of experience on the water....
Yeah, right. As I said, I pay $30 for 200 connectors.

Things fail when you need them the most.

Inexperience on the water??? Hah! I've spent my life on the water, and many years at sea on the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska. Solid years doing hard work in extreme conditions. You? Dock condo?
Old 01-07-2012, 15:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ahh is 25 yrs + a pretty long time ?? the boats still sailing with a new owner and he's had no problems yet ! And I still don't get the smoker thing ?? what are ya saying ? Im mearly stateing what my experince has show me ! whats your EXPERINCE tell you? Im not trying to do or say anything to you ! so why all the Hate ?? O well I will wire my way and you do it your way !! I could care less !! Just sayin
The smoking thing is an old cliche. Get around more.
Old 01-07-2012, 15:59   #54

Boat: Seawind 1160

I have worked many years as an industrial electronics tech and have worked in numerous very wet and vibrating type machines and have never soldered a joint in my life.
Have look at your outboard motor and see how many soldered joints are in there?
Once you get above about 40 amps you goto crimped lugs or throught lugs and good quality shrink tube.
I am sure back in the 1920 s 1930's it was the only way but when you have a choice now
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 16:16   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
Yeah, right. As I said, I pay $30 for 200 connectors.

Things fail when you need them the most.

Inexperience on the water??? Hah! I've spent my life on the water, and many years at sea on the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska. Solid years doing hard work in extreme conditions. You? Dock condo?
No...3rd liveaboard...tens of thousands of miles pole to pole on USCG cutters, factory trained installer (Furuno, Raymarine, Simrad), delivery capt...and another whole page or so including 2 yeard living/boating on Kodiak iIsland...so yeah..I know the difference between commecial repairs and YACHTTIE repairs....both work but one costs a heck of as lot more too sometimes...

Yes your way and materials are superior...but you post as if the others don't count like YOU are superior...which you are not.
Old 01-07-2012, 16:17   #56

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Me 74 yrs old started fishing comm at age 9 with my father a comm fisherman all his life !! fished all the places your talking about starting in the early 50s !! and my dad solderd his conections to LOL So what, I do it my way you do it yours! your never gonna change me and Im not even tryin to change you ! never said you must do it my way !! Give it up im to old to change now LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 16:41   #57

Boat: Seawind 1160

Sorry if I offended most of the the yachting and boating world, my option was only meant if you had the choice and materials available I would prefer the non soldered method.
Re water experience not much, logged over 9500 hours in command on commercial shipping and sailed and raced since I could walk but can always willing to learn something new every day from someone.
And ouch re:
so yeah..I know the difference between commecial repairs and YACHTTIE repairs....both work but one costs a heck of as lot more too sometimes...
Yes your way and materials are superior...but you post as if the others don't count like YOU are superior...which you are not.
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 17:08   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I don't think any of those comments were aimed at you poppyduc. Your experience speaks for itself, IMHO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 17:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyduc View Post
Sorry if I offended most of the the yachting and boating world, my option was only meant if you had the choice and materials available I would prefer the non soldered method.
Re water experience not much, logged over 9500 hours in command on commercial shipping and sailed and raced since I could walk but can always willing to learn something new every day from someone.
And ouch re:
so yeah..I know the difference between commecial repairs and YACHTTIE repairs....both work but one costs a heck of as lot more too sometimes...
No...sorry I didn't direct towards you as my comments were for the person quoted...superior materials and workmasnship is one thing...superior attitude speaks of another.

We have all seen what woks, is supposed to work, works sometime and some things that just plain amaze us...to say one way is the only way in boating says to me internet bravado without much real experience....or just an attitude problem
Old 01-07-2012, 18:23   #60

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I once went to a class put on by ancor about their crimp connectors. There is one thing that stuck with me all these years. What is the first thing we all do once we strip a wire? We take our dirty fingers and twist the nice bright shiny wires. That puts a lot of oils and other nastiness on the copper wire. So the wire immediately starts to corrode. There is no need for it. Strip the wires and stick it in the crimp connector without touching it.

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle