Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 17:41   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Burglary Alarm Systems - Any Ideas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You have to realize that all most alarm systems do is make people upset about the noise. You might want to rig up a system that calls your cell phone so at least you can go out to your boat when sounds so your poor neighbors do not have to listen to it for a long time. Sorry if I sound cynical but that's how I see it.
Have to agree. There are so many false alarms, mostly from cars, that no one even looks (except to get annoyed) when another goes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Getting on my soapbox here, I would like to see a 3 minute law that requires audible alarms to go silent after three minutes. If a crook has not ran off by then, they are not going to.
Don't know if it's a law or manditory required by industry standards but I think new alarms have this feature, at least our new home alarm does.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 20:59   #17

Hey there, just to feed the thread with a solution
I found the perfect burglary alarm system
- affordable
- quality
- often used, so there will be support for a while

google for Rhino Watchguard
I got myself the SMS2010 which works on wireless, sends out SMS and has advanced non infrared motion sensors

Several online dealers and even on eBay
Cheers
camperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:55   #18

Not sure if you can add a horn to this but I work on a 48 ft hatt that is owned by the owner of this company and it works great keeps you informed via text messages, monitors bilgs' and you can even call it to hear what is being said on board..... Boat Alarms - The BoatNanny - Boat Security System

Mark is who you will talk to if you contact him, he's a great guy and very knowledgable
Sail1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 20:36   #19

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft

Hi Chris - like almost everything else in life, it seems like a tradeoff of functionality and budget. Also, are you trying to protect the boat in Japan, or where will it be?

On the lower end of the spectrum, I've used this motion detector to just make sound and noise. It worked for me once (and paid for itself) just by blasting some noise and flashing a light.

On the higher end of the spectrum, I've also used alarm.com, which has a cell-based system that doesn't depend on land lines or power. They have a call center that follows up and it also does email/SMS, much like the Boat Nanny system that Sail1985 mentioned.

I'm going to the Caribbean in a few weeks for 2 weeks on a charter boat (Martinique & south) and have been reading about boats/dinks getting sacked at night or when people are off for dinner. I was thinking that down there I will also rig up a system similar to what Rebel Heart mentioned: lightweight fishing line that makes a big clatter or fires a flare or something like that. Funny thing is that it's most likely to catch one of my crew who goes out for a late night pee over the transom.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:54   #20

I found a good alarm system
Rhinoo Watchguard SMS2010

- wireless
- false alarm safe
- sends SMS and can be controlled by SMS
- long reach remote control
- excellent service, I had some probs configuring, or maybe it was confused, their response was excellent
- pretty noisy in and out
comes in sets, you can add other things
camperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19   #21

The best anti-burglary plan has two main components:
1 - the boat must be hard to break into
2 - it must be apparent to all that the boat is hard to break into

For #1 - I'm shocked how many people haven't upgraded the factory-supplied itty-bitty lock on often-flimsy companionway hatchboards. This is OK for when you're always within a patrolled marina or club... but hardly enough for anchoring anywhere in the world. You need a companionway door that can't easily be picked, jimmied or kicked in. And it should look impregnable. Bonus points if you can lock it from inside.

#2 - One of the most important components of a home alarm system is the little sign on your lawn Anything you can do to make it look like the boat is better protected will help. Stickers or signs are not as helpful on a boat; a real or fake video camera with a blinky red LED is better. I would put IR motion-detectors covering the cockpit and front deck, that light some serious lights whenever motion is detected on deck. That alerts the intruder that you're not just whistling Dixie, and they get to see your serious locks more clearly. Also, the light going on/off at night will draw attention.

Finally, if someone manages to enter the cabin, a dependable trigger like a doorswitch or pressure-mat switch would fire off the alarm, and the most disturbing, disorienting soundmaker should be inside the cabin. A strobe light is nice too.

Beyond this... not much else possible besides providing an alert via cell-phone that a break-in is in progress. Cameras will record the event and will be decisive in identifying the thief/thieves.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm