Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 07:53   #1

Bullet On-Board Wifi Weirdness

Hello all,

I am having an issue currently with my on-board wifi that I have installed, and it's been driving me crazy for the past week or so. The issue is that the download speeds on my network seem to be very slow over wifi, but very fast over ethernet. I am in a marina with very fast wifi (50mbps down, 10mbps up), but unfortunately I can't get signal from my slip. So I set up my bullet, and connected to the wifi, getting roughly 30 down and 8 up. Not bad, certainly nothing I would notice. However, when I connect the bullet into my router, and then connect via wifi, the speeds plummet to 0.5 down. Here's where it gets interesting. I still get 8 up over wifi, despite the exponential decrease in download speed.

Also, when I connect my computer via ethernet to the router, I get the 30 down and 8 up speeds, no slowdown at all from bullet. I was using a MikroTik RouterBoard 751u-2HnD, but when I noticed these speeds and couldn't fix them with the settings, I gave in and bought a Linksys E900. This worked (semi) for a little, but now it's slow again. After first setting the new router up, I was getting 10 down and 8 up. Now, less than 24 hours later, I am getting 0.5 down and 8 up.

As far as my current configuration goes, I have the bullet set up in router mode, and the router set up as a simple bridge. The bullet has the ip address of 192.168.10.1, and has DHCP server and NAT on. It assigns devices ips from the range of 192.168.10.50-192.168.10.99. The router is setup with a static ip of 192.168.10.2. My initial thought was interference, but changing the channel that the router is broadcasting on doesn't seem to be making a difference. I have tried 1, 6, and 11, all of which making little to no difference.

Could someone out there with a little more knowledge on this stuff help me out? Thanks in advance,

- ThatSailorDude
ThatSailorDude is offline   Reply With Quote