Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2010, 02:35   #1

Boat: beneteau 423
Bullet 2HP Connection Puzzle

Hi I hope somebody can help me- i have installed a bullet 2HP, I used the 'beginners guide to setting up' and the device worked fine at home, but on bringing it to the boat, and trying it again before fitting the antenna etc (so no system changes, damage etc)the following happens:
the unit can 'see' wi fi sources during the seek function
the power level LEDs do not illuminate
The unit will not communicate with any chosen wi fi point.
The PC Wi fi works OK standalone
Ive reset the unit, and been through the beginners guide again, but no difference
has anybody experienced this, any pointers to put it right would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bryan
bryan and wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 03:59   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
The bullet wifi can connect to only one source at a time, so you must be cabled up to the unit for it to connect to other routers IMO. Take a good look at the (proper) manual as well and really dig into it, you are using the bullet as a client in this case.
Old 31-03-2010, 09:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
When you had it working at home were you connecting to an AP outside your home or were you using your home AP to test? I ask this because there was a batch of 2HP's produced in October 09 that would not associate unless the AP was in the same room with them. If you have one of these it will have a 4 digit batch number of 0942 that appears just to the left of the MAC address on the base of the Bullet.

When you say that "the PC wifi works ok" does this mean you can connect to an AP that the Bullet won't connect with? I just want to be sure that the available AP's aren't using MAC filtering.

To check if your configuration changes are causing the problem do a factory reset and see if you can connect to one of the AP's in the factory default mode.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38   #4

Thanks for the info, fortunately my bullet is not from the affected batch. Ive now fixed the issue, it seems that using windows 7 and letting the system find the device itself results in some of the settings not being as suggested- that allowed me to contact only my own IP. The clue was in your message!
thanks
bryan
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
If there is a good wifi service you must bring the output power level of the bullet2hp down. Set it as low as possible or until link-speed reduces. At high output level you can over-power the receiver on the other end.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58   #6

I'm sat in a marina in Turkey, the antenna is halfway up the mast and it's managing to get a signal through a forest of masts to a cafe pehaps 0.5 miles away. The signal is -89 so it's a bit marginal-but it's working! thanks to all who have helped over the past few months, Ive just had a skype conversation with my daughter in the UK! Marvellous!
Bryan