Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: BTC Internet in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Thanks. So you like Marathon better than Key West. I may go that route. West Coast of Florida is a problem due to the winds (allergies -- I am looking for an Island or where the winds blow from the sea).

I have a system kind of like that but it should be 3x stronger. I have a 15 DBI ommi antenna with a bridge.
The bridge can be a problem. You should replace it with a Ubiquity based system which acts like a station (ie single PC) towards the AP but as a router towards you. This way you get full access for multiple devices but the AP just sees just another simple client.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42   #17

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The bridge can be a problem...
What kind of problems?
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS

Having given up on BTC internet just last year, I was intriqued by this post, so did some digging.

Just so that everyone is aware the new BTC service sounds great, but it is NOT 4G (at least not yet), it's the so called 3.5G or HSDPA as it says on their website :

For the techies out there, BTC's initial deployment of 4G wireless is based on HSPA (Evolved High Speed Packet Access) and will offer you a not only faster, but much more fun mobile internet experience.

This is quite clear from their FAQs :

On the top of the screen, your device will display "3G" or "HSPA" or "HSDPA," or in some instances, it may simply show a "3" or an "H".

You would think then that since it's a 4G service you phone would say "4"

Just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that you don't need to rush out and source an expensive 4G device to use this service, some 3G phones already support HSPA and even those that only support 3G should still be able to get 2Mb/s speeds which is probably good enough for most boaties to get emails, weather etc.

Having said all that, the fact that they intend to roll this out to the Exumas in 2012 also is great news.

Duncan
S/V TALISA
Currently off the water earning more B.O.A.T. units
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What kind of problems?
Both the bridge and your PC behind it will register their MAC address in the layer 2 ARP tables. Many APs do not allow this because they want you to pay a fee for each PC or other Wifi client you connect. Even when you have just the bridge with one client behind it they can reject that.

A router that does client mode is indistinguishable from a regular client. It works as router on layer 3.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53   #20

Quote:
You should replace it with a Ubiquity based system...
You mean this?

Bullet | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13   #21

Quote:
A router that does client mode is indistinguishable from a regular client. It works as router on layer 3...
So because my "bridge" can do client mode it will be ok if I have it set to that? I believe I have it set at Client Bridge but I should set it to Client Router?

Operation mode: Client Bridge/Access Point/WDS bridge/Client Router
ENH200EXT
Old 03-01-2012, 12:54   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So because my "bridge" can do client mode it will be ok if I have it set to that? I believe I have it set at Client Bridge but I should set it to Client Router?

Operation mode: Client Bridge/Access Point/WDS bridge/Client Router
ENH200EXT
Yes, client router is the correct mode. However, the Ubiquity Bullet M2 with an omni-directional antenna or the NanoStation M2 with it's internal directional antenna array, are very hard to beat and only if you spend a bunch more money.

Check out the long range Wifi thread here on CF.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 03-01-2012, 13:01   #23

That may be true, but I already have that other stuff (the bridge and 15 DBI ommi antenna). I just can't use it here because everything is secure here and I'm also a AP using a different system for the WIFI guy in our marina which I pay $35 a month. I do need to get out and test what I have before I go though.

I read somewhere that the 9 dbi should get 6-8 miles over water. I find that hard to believe but if so, then I should at least be able to get a good signal 2 miles offshore like in Key West anchorages with my 15 dbi.
Old 03-01-2012, 13:02   #24

Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2012, 13:34   #25

Boat: Tayana 42

There is a daily data limit on the BTC in the bahamas when you pay day by day but I don't know what it is. I could not see working with the signal anywhere in the places we have been. We are Georgetown using it now, we can check emails and browse most sites, but trying to upload pictures is really tough. Nassau seemed to have some pay sites we could connect to through with our bullet, but I don't think that was fast like it is in the US either.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 15:00   #26

[QUOTE=s/v Jedi;851978]
Check out the long range Wifi thread here on CF.
QUOTE]

I am reading it now and have to say I believe some of the numbers thrown out there are wrong. The Hawking 15 DBI antenna has an EPlan of 30 degrees, which gives it a 15 up and 15 down. They said you can only get that with a 9 dbi antenna. Sounds like they are wrong. Also a lot of people not understanding the benifits of the bridge.
Old 22-11-2012, 11:31   #27

So what's the latest and greatest on this? We would like to have cellular broadband with a hotspot in the boat. BTC web site isn't all that helpful on this question.
Old 22-11-2012, 19:21   #28

I'm in the Bahamas now (Abacos) and I can tell you that you are best off ordering a Bullet and an antenna. You can get a 9 dbi antenna and mount up high like at the top of the mast and get signals 6 miles away, or you can get a 15 dbi and mount on deck and have almost as good quality and range. Cell service isn't that good in the Bahamas and where you can get it, you can also get WIFI which will have much better speeds. Note though, you need to get a Bullet and an antena. Total would cost about $200. Just make sure you get an Omni-directional antenna.

15 dbi
Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 15dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 4.8-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

9 dbi
ANT2409#

Bullet
Bullet | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:40   #29

Quote:
when we worked out a deal where I can remote into my work computer and work from the Islands. .
Not sure if anyone else mentioned, but remoting in from the islands is pretty much a mute point unless you're going one of two most expensive Inmarsat routes (sat comm - $1000s each month).

I tried continuing work from the boat (I had to remote in as well due to security) and found it impossible except for more populated spots in US. Anywhere down Bahamas, even Nassau, or Caribbean? From my experience you'll spend half the work day just getting to your desktop. Imagine moving a mouse.

Work out another deal or cruise in areas with high-speed/4G.

Just my 0.02 cents
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 04:43   #30

Thanks for the input but if you look at the long range wifi thread here you will find that I've been a contributor for years. I've got that down. For general use I have found good wifi solutions. What I'm asking for here is cellular solutions.

Thanks

George

Tags
Bahamas, internet