Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2009, 14:21   #1

Broken SSB Rail Mount - Help!

Hello, I need everyone's help! I have a unique SSB antenna set up on my catamaran and am having a hard time finding repair parts for what I need. I need your expert advice...

The problem is with the PL 259 Coaxial connection that comes to the bottom of my rail mount. I cannot find the male connector that screws into that PL 259 connection with a 3/8" screw on the outer end. I need this because that end with the screw is what goes into the hole in the rail mount, and the antenna (an outbacker antenna) screws onto that 3/8" screw - thereby securing the antenna to the boat.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can buy these replacement parts? Or can you suggest a better way for me to mount this, maybe even using all new parts? I am in Tahiti and need my SSB working!!!

Many thanks, I'm out of options here.
Seth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSB Antenna Broken.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	8171  
3Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 14:53   #2
Eternal Member

Seth,

My guess is that it's a UHF barrel connector. They come in different lengths. You won't know until you try to unscrew it from the antenna. Hopefully, there's a contact inside which fits into the center conductor of the barrel connector, then the barrel connector passes thru the fiber washer, the mount, and is secured by a nut underneath. The PL-259 male connector then screws into the bottom of the barrel connector.

By the way, FEMALE UHF connectors are called SO-239. The MALE UHF connector is the PL-259.

Good luck.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 14:59   #3

is that like a hollow threaded rod... cant tell....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 19:07   #4

Hi Bill, thanks for the great reply. I have attached a few more pictures which show the two pieces that have broken in greater detail. Can you confirm that I have everything correct in my description below? Here is how I see it working from the bottom of the main picture toward the top...

1) Going from the SSB and Coax cable is the PL-259 Male UHF connector, which in this case has a thin shaft inside that appears broken (see picture taken outside).
2) The Female UHF Connector (SO-239) then screws into and around the shaft. The end of this part has a screw like segment to it that goes through the mount (and this part is also broken, see other picture).
3) The plastic washer goes between the screw and the antenna
4) The Antenna screws onto the SO-239.

Assuming the above is how you see it, I must need a SO-239 part to go with my new PL-259 part that I already ordered. Is that correct, and would you know what size based on the picture (as I lost the piece of the broken shaft and cannot measure it)?

Once again, I greatly appreciate your help.
Seth
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0567.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	8249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0569.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	8250  

Name:	IMG_0570.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	8251  
3Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:23   #5

Boat: Catalina 470
3/8" x 24 to SO-239 Antenna Mount

Seth,
You have what appears to be a standard 3/8" x 24 antenna stud base, with an standard SO-239 connector, mount....

The entire mount (antenna base, connector, and mounting plate) is sold by many manufacturers / suppliers......
And, you can also find just the antenna base/connector assembly sold by a few companies.....

I cannot speak of the quality/reliability of any of these......but here's the info....

1) If you want the entire mount, you can get either an MFJ-342T or MFJ-344....(www,mfjenterprizes.com)
Cost about $10 USD
Or, you can find one of these generic antenna mounts in most ham radio (or even CB radio) shops across the world.....

2) If you want what seems to be a VERY heavy duty 3/8" x 24 to SO-239 antenna base, have a look at the tower electronics......
About 3/4 of the way down the page, at Tower Electronics Online Wholesale Catalog - Page Five
Look for "Heavy duty stud with SO-239 all stainless steel, 3/8" x 24 thread 2 kw rated, for Texas bug catcher, outbacker or screwdriver"
Cost $20 USD

3) You can also find these generic 3/8" x 24 to SO-239 bases at many outlets......(see https://www.scannerworld.com/content...odel/SO239STUD )

4) If you cannot find one of these localy to you, and cannot wait for int'l shipping to you from USA, perhaps contacting Outbacker Antennas, and see if they can locate one for you????
Outbacker Antennas NA

I hope this helps....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:51   #6
Eternal Member

John,

Thanks so much. I haven't had time yet to do the research for Seth. I believe you gave him all he needs.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, mount, outbacker, ssb