Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 12:59   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Boat Alarm system

My boat has been in storage, have had concerns of high bilge level and low batterey volts, I did have someone checking it, but not now, In the future I would prefer to have a alarm system so I could be alerted and incorporate that in a monitoring system.
While I am on the boat, I can see the need for some alarms. Have thought of:
High bilge, low battery volts, Fridge temp high, Exhaust temp high. Engine is already protected.
Off the boat have thought of High High bilge, low low battery volts, and intrusion as criticals. Vessel location would be nice.
Looking for a off the shelf solution that is economical, less than a boat buck. (I could build it myself, but I'm too slow and there are horizons to look over).
Haven't found any alarm system as such for say 10 Analogue, 10 Digital inputs. A PLC could do it (Model?), Then connect it to a GSM security alarm system that sends sms.

Anybody been down this path, can you recommend further reading or a supplier. Your thoughts are welcome.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:12   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Boat Alarm system

These guys have a fair amount of flexible gear Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms
Old 11-03-2017, 13:18   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

You sound a bit paranoid. Electronics get really complicated and high maintenance. You need to have confidence in your boat. Make sure everything is in its best condition and you will not need alarms, except on the motor.

Fuel level gauges & bilge on light are the only things I have besides the motor gauges. I have 3 water tanks w/ switching valves and a black tank that gets little use. If all you gear is in good shape alarms are a waste.
Old 11-03-2017, 13:27   #4

Another option:
http://sirenmarine.com
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:07   #5

Boat: Maxi 999

Openplotter (Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog) can do all of this but requires various 3rd party components and some setting up of course.

I personally have used this device on my previous boat, with great success:
GSM Remote Control Switch Garage Gate Door Opener SMS iButton Access Controller | eBay

In my new boat I have upgraded to a improved model that can do geofencing/tracking in addtion to all the other functions:
GSM-GPS SMS AVL Vehicle Alarm Immobilizer Car Tracker GTGPS | eBay

/Otto
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:43   #6

Boat: Carver Voyager 570, 57'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
My boat has been in storage, have had concerns of high bilge level and low batterey volts, I did have someone checking it, but not now, In the future I would prefer to have a alarm system so I could be alerted and incorporate that in a monitoring system.
High bilge, low battery volts, Fridge temp high, Exhaust temp high. Engine is already protected.
Off the boat have thought of High High bilge, low low battery volts, and intrusion as criticals. Vessel location would be nice.
Looking for a off the shelf solution that is economical, less than a boat buck. (I could build it myself, but I'm too slow and there are horizons to look over).
Haven't found any alarm system as such for say 10 Analogue, 10 Digital inputs. A PLC could do it (Model?), Then connect it to a GSM security alarm system that sends sms.

Anybody been down this path, can you recommend further reading or a supplier. Your thoughts are welcome.
Take a look at boatcommand.com. I have had one for a little over a year and been very happy with it.

Ben
haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 21:34   #7

Also take a look at SignalK (signalK.org) and the node server. Takes some DIY stuff, but with a raspberrypi and some other hardware and software (like my app www.wilhelmsk.com), you can get full visibility into your boats systems. And the cost is not to bad. I have alarms setup for things like low battery, hi wind, gps location (theft), cabin temperature, etc. I get IOS notifications on my devices when anything goes wrong.
sbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 21:35   #8

Boat Alarm system

I have a setup using SignalK (signalk.org), a raspberrypi and some other software and hardware. I have full visibility into the boats systems remotely. I have alarms setup for things like low battery voltage, high winds and gps location (theft). I have an iOS application that gives me notifications when alarms go off. Check out SignalK and my app WilhelmSK.
sbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 21:40   #9

Boat: Leopard 48

Try Gost systems. Get great reviews.
https://www.gostglobal.com/
Old 14-03-2017, 21:46   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post

Trek transponder will do what you want. I have installed one on my boat and it just works, really well.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, boat