Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 01:43   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Blowing fuses in my Auto pilot.

Well. I am pretty hopeless at electronics.
I am trying to find out why the fuse inside my Auto pilot control Box
Currently the unit gets 12 Volt power directly from a buss and it the returns directly to the earth buss. The fuse in the unit is 1.5 amp but I and using 2 amp.
There is an additional breaker switch that I can run it through (5amp). But it blows every time it's used.
Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	1575279454344.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	204201Click image for larger version

Name:	1575279490459.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	204202
Old 02-12-2019, 01:46   #2

Re: Blowing fuses in my Auto pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Well. I am pretty hopeless at electronics.
I am trying to find out why the fuse inside my Auto pilot control Box
Currently the unit gets 12 Volt power directly from a buss and it the returns directly to the earth buss. The fuse in the unit is 1.5 amp but I and using 2 amp.
There is an additional breaker switch that I can run it through (5amp). But it blows every time it's used.
Any ideas?Attachment 204201Attachment 204202
Fuse in the unit blows whenever power is hooked up.
I have disconnected all of the systems that run off the control Box. motor, compass,remote, ECT. So it's not them.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:06   #3

This is a really crude sketch of the circuit.
I am not even shore that the switch and breaker do anything.
I can unplug the control unit, effectively taking it out of the system and the fuse at the switch continues to blow the instant the power is connected?Click image for larger version

Name:	1575281184973.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	204203
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
This is a really crude sketch of the circuit.
I am not even shore that the switch and breaker do anything.
I can unplug the control unit, effectively taking it out of the system and the fuse at the switch continues to blow the instant the power is connected?Attachment 204203
If that circuit is drawn as it really is, then, yes the fuse will blow every time the switch is on.

As drawn, the switch is putting a short circuit via the fuse directly across the battery.

Either you have drawn it incorrectly or the person who wired it was a complete idiot!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:15   #5

Quote:
Fuse in the unit blows whenever power is hooked up.
I have disconnected all of the systems that run off the control Box. motor, compass,remote, ECT. So it's not them.
Your control box is faulty.
Can you see any burnt areas inside it or any smell of burnt components?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Your control box is faulty.
Can you see any burnt areas inside it or any smell of burnt components?
I can only assume that I am the complete idiot.
But you have already explained why the switch is blowing.
I will take it out of the system and see if the fuse within the unit blows. Pretty shore I have tried that already. Report back soon.
Can't smell anything burnt out in the unit.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24   #7

Blew the internal fuse instantly. With the external switch completely disconnected
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24   #8

Opps, didn't think that you might have wired the switch like that - sorry to be so blunt!

But it is what it is
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26   #9

Quote:
Blew the internal fuse instantly. With the external switch completely disconnected
Here is a pic of the unit. Looks good to my untrained eye. Click image for larger version

Name:	1575282294515.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	204204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20191202203156.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	204205
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27   #10

Quote:
Yep, the control box is faulty ASSUMING you have the polarity correct!

And assuming you have put the +ve and -ve wires on the correct terminals.

Have you got some better photos showing how you have connected the wires on the control box end.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:37   #11

Quote:
Here is a pic of the unit. Looks good to my untrained eye. Attachment 204204Attachment 204205
This is the only thing that looks like it may have some damage. It's the sensitivity nob.
Is it possible to check these board's?Click image for larger version

Name:	1575282826557.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	204207
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40   #12

Quote:
Opps, didn't think that you might have wired the switch like that - sorry to be so blunt!

But it is what it is
Be as Blunt as you want.
It's hasn't worked since we put in the new engine and it's probably a casualty of the effort to rewire the engine controls.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:55   #13

I have just downloaded an installation / operational manual for the unit and the wiring is pretty simple but going from what is written in the manual, it is ESSENTIAL to get the polarity right when connecting the power wires.

At this stage, if you connect only the two power wires direct to the +ve and -ve buss and the internal fuse blows, then you do have a faulty component in the control box.

You could try measuring the resistance between the two pins of the power connector while it is DISCONNECTED from the battery (with a new fuse fitted). If is a short circuit (zero or 1 or 2 ohms), then that confirms what we already know - it is stuffed

I will now look online for a schematic of the control box to see what potentially might have burnt out if the polarity was reversed.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:02   #14

Quote:
Yep, the control box is faulty ASSUMING you have the polarity correct!

And assuming you have put the +ve and -ve wires on the correct terminals.

Have you got some better photos showing how you have connected the wires on the control box end.
I can confirm that the polarity is correct. I can see the positive on the board and have worked back with the ohms Meyer yo check the wiring.
So it's looking like the board. Need to do some research.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05   #15

Quote:
I have just downloaded an installation / operational manual for the unit and the wiring is pretty simple but going from what is written in the manual, it is ESSENTIAL to get the polarity right when connecting the power wires.

At this stage, if you connect only the two power wires direct to the +ve and -ve buss and the internal fuse blows, then you do have a faulty component in the control box.

You could try measuring the resistance between the two pins of the power connector while it is DISCONNECTED from the battery (with a new fuse fitted). If is a short circuit (zero or 1 or 2 ohms), then that confirms what we already know - it is stuffed

I will now look online for a schematic of the control box to see what potentially might have burnt out if the polarity was reversed.
Measuring the ohm's is my way of measuring the resistance. So having done that I am shore I haven't reversed the polarity.

Tags
fuses