Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2021, 07:57   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Best Way to Get Weather While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
Me Too. I plan to cruise south from Ventura Ca to La Paz Mexico. Is there a broadcast on Vhf in English. I don't want to buy a bunch of components like Black Box. SSB, fax. and SW radio etc. I think I will get a SW radio but the Sony 7600 GR that I wanted is about $800. I saw some used $400. Thanks for any response.
NO.

Some Mexican Port Captains broadcast forecast IN SPANISH, but this cannot be depended upon.

Indeed, you will learn that there are few official marine weather forecasts for Baja and the West Coast of Mexico. VHF will not provide forecasts as you go down Baja coast.

Strongly suggest you get something from your list above. We used SSB, HAM and Pactor modem. The SSB radio had extra benefit of getting reports from other boats and from NETS.

But you could seriously consider options such Iridium or InReach or Satphone.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 08:36   #32

Boat: Patagonie 39
Re: Best Way to Get Weather While Cruising?

Hi everybody, for those who are interested, I recently created a few apps allowing to get weather forecast using the SMS facilities of the InReach, see please description at Mikeno - Weather forecast via SMS - v2
Mikeno is offline   Reply With Quote