Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57   #16

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
As a suggestion, approach this with an eye towards your overall plan for redundancy. If you have a main chart plotter that uses a Navionics chip and a hand-held that uses different cartography then you increase the overall cost.

I chose the Garmin route and bought a GPSMAP 76c. Turns out that the new to us boat came with a Garmin 2010c unit. So under their license agreement I can legally load both devices with a single map area purchase. I'm sure other vendors have similar arrangements.

For less than $250 the little 76c unit provides enough chart detail to use as a primary chart plotter IMHO. Take it anywhere, hard-mount it at the helm with the external power cord, and then use your laptop for voyage planning on a bigger screen. And oh yes - the laptop is actually a 3rd chart plotter aboard. Costs only the BlueChart software license and a USB GPS receiver (dongle). I bought the USB data card programmer from Garmin and can load any memory cards for the 2010.

Tags
chartplotter