Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 19:44   #16

Boat: Endurance 44
Re: Best plan for Iridium Go!

Thanks all for your help. Now we are using the isatphone and also the Inreach... We expected to found the device in amazon but the price is not preety good so probably we will buy it to predictwind. Not sure about the monthly plan, but all your comments will help alot in the decision.

Fair Winds!
gainza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Where to buy? Check on three or four sites that provide. I found BlueCosmo the best price for the unlimited data. The other issue is whether they charge for sim activation. At the cost of the unlimited plan I unsubscribe each year for a number of months and simply buy another sim card. You lose your phone number with a new sim card, but "reactivation" of a suspended sim is expensive. (predictwind site talks about that)
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 20:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Where to buy? Check on three or four sites that provide. I found BlueCosmo the best price for the unlimited data. The other issue is whether they charge for sim activation. At the cost of the unlimited plan I unsubscribe each year for a number of months and simply buy another sim card. You lose your phone number with a new sim card, but "reactivation" of a suspended sim is expensive. (predictwind site talks about that)
I can help you with Iridium airtime as well. https://www.sea-tech.com/product/iridium-go-satellite-airtime/

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 06-02-2019, 02:18   #19

Boat: Nautor Swan, Swan 47#54

I fully agree with AndyinAbuDhabi, same experience, used it for 3 years now, choose the plan that you want via Predict wind. Predict wind is very easy to use when you have an internet connection, via Iridium Go it is very very slow. Do not forget to buy and external antennae with the Iridium Go unit. Emails work fine for just text. I bought my Iridium Go phone via the SatPhoneStore.com
They are a kind of OK, a little arrogant though.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:36   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

What is the catch buying the plan from PredictWind and the hardware somewhere else. AFAIK the highest discount is when buying the hardware from PredictWind, I don't see any advantage on the data plan here (yet).
Old 06-02-2019, 05:08   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I fully agree with AndyinAbuDhabi, same experience, used it for 3 years now, choose the plan that you want via Predict wind. Predict wind is very easy to use when you have an internet connection, via Iridium Go it is very very slow. Do not forget to buy and external antennae with the Iridium Go unit. Emails work fine for just text. I bought my Iridium Go phone via the SatPhoneStore.com
They are a kind of OK, a little arrogant though.
I had zero problems using a Go without the antennae. It's quite expensive and my suggestion is to try it first.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:57   #22

Boat: Amel 50

I have a brand new, never installed, iridium GO external antenna setup. I got it for my new boat but the installer wanted to install his for warranty...
I can sell it for a better price than online. Let me know.

The external antenna improves the signal quality and reception. In my opinion, it is worth the expense.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:15   #23

Boat: Leopard 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Not at all. There is an SOS button on the Iridium Go that when activated will send your location to either a friend/family member or GEOS. I had a 9555 for my first ocean crossing - it worked but was MUCH more difficult to configure. You should try reading up on the unit - it's pretty kick butt.

As an FYI, you do not need an external antenna. Just try it - no problems.
I'm curious if most sailors doig major crossings are registering the SOS to call family or the GEOS service. I just received mine from predict wind and plan on starting with their basic service but hadn't thought about registration of the SOS service. Any input is greatly appreciated.

-KK
kingster68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:20   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingster68 View Post
I'm curious if most sailors doig major crossings are registering the SOS to call family or the GEOS service. I just received mine from predict wind and plan on starting with their basic service but hadn't thought about registration of the SOS service. Any input is greatly appreciated.

-KK
Personally, I don't see ANY reason to configure it to anything other than GEOS. Why would you want to hamstring your SOS efforts by relying on family and/or friends to appropriately respond to an automated SOS message when GEOS is specifically designed to do exactly that and has been doing it for years for thousands of rescues.

Now, within GEOS you would give them contacts of family and friends that they can use to attempt to verify that you are actually in distress and not sitting at home in your underwear watching the Simpsons.. But that's just a part of the GEOS system.

Assuming you have all of your equipment functioning, you can call or text family and friends if you want to... but when the $%^@ hits the fan and all you have is your SOS button, it better damn work, so it should be properly configured for GEOS, and you should have your GEOS registration fully completed. It's free anyway..

Go to myGEOS site and register.. https://my-geos.com/registration

Just my $0.02 of course.
Old 19-02-2019, 18:18   #25

Boat: Leopard 50

Thanks for the response... but I'm not seeing how GEOS is FREE? It keeps asking me to pick a package or bundle. After looking closer, it looks like it's "Free to register" but offers "coverage plans"... whats the real difference? It kind of suggests that you don't really get any coverage without a "plan". I'm really not trying to be difficult, just want to understand the difference and expectations. Thx
kingster68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:30   #26
Marine Service Provider

The monitoring is free with your Iridium subscription. But you can add insurance for the actual rescue costs.

Tags
iridium