Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 17:52   #31

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Best marine WiFi antenna?

Waterwayguy:

Thanks for reply.
So the AirOS software talks through the router to the Bullet? Or the AirOS software controls the Belkin router? Do you need to connect computer to the Bullet first then switch to the router?

Sorry for dumb questions, but I don't get how this works.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:05   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Waterwayguy:

Thanks for reply.
So the AirOS software talks through the router to the Bullet? Or the AirOS software controls the Belkin router? Do you need to connect computer to the Bullet first then switch to the router?

Sorry for dumb questions, but I don't get how this works.
The Ubiquity should be router and your local hotspot should be bridge, making it an extention of the router.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 18:20   #33

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Dennis, It's all in the blog post. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01   #34

I never could decide on a wifi antenna, so many difference choices. I do have a netgear router though.
SailorSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:14   #35

Boat: Catalina 34

Well, after what seemed like an eternity waiting for my boat to be launched it finally splashed this past week. I got on yesterday (Friday) tried to get things as organized as possible, and got my Nanostation working like a charm. I've got an Airport Express at the nav station and I've now got a wireless network here on the boat. Awesome.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:56   #36

Boat: Fortune 30

We are looking at WIFI boosters and wondering if anybody has used Wirie ? We've heard good things about it in the Med.

Also a tech question: What does 2/3/4G internet access mean? When would you use it?

Thanks
Robyn
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51   #37

Boat: Valiant 42

2/3/4G are standards for cellular (i.e. mobile networks). Each higher number standard can send and receive data faster. They are not WiFi standards. Many cruisers use mobile networks for Internet access because the newer standards are nearly as fast as WiFi. And in many areas mobile networks have better coverage than WiFi. You can use mobile networks with either a tethered smart phone, USB stick or an adapter that converts mobile data networks to WiFi (so-called mobile hot spots). Rates vary widely depending on the carrier and location.

I have not used Wirie. I made my own long range WiFi from parts bought on Amazon. Cost was about $75.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 14:46   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

As with other "marine" wifi solutions, no doubt the Wirie works well, is an integrated package, has good support, and has user-friendly firmware. If that is what you seek, and you are willing to pay for it, then go for it.

That said, you will be paying a lot more than a system you put together, that should be of the same quality (and in fact made of some of the same components). However you won't get the somewhat easier to use interface and customer support. So if you are willing to do a little learning and take the responsibility on yourself you can save some money. Your choice.

The Wirie uses, and I recommend, the Ubiquiti Bullet Titanium M2 as the main wifi client. There are many 8db-12db antennas available. I use a Ubiquiti airGateway LR down below, which attaches to the Bullet's power supply and is a very compact and tidy access point for onboard access. Add the required ethernet cable between the Bullet and the power supply/airGateway package and you have the functional equivalent of the Wirie at half the price. This solution does require a single mains outlet, which can be a small inverter. It would not be difficult to get this to run on 12VDC, but is a project of its own.

The Wirie does have a nice physical package. Personally I prefer to have everything except the Bullet down below instead of in the rigging.

The newer Wirie systems appear to add a cellular modem to the network. This is an easy thing to do. The airGateway LR has an ethernet socket which could take such a modem. Personally I attach my NAS file server to that port, and when I need to move a lot of data I insert a small ethernet switch. This is all possible because the ethernet connection is carried into the boat, instead of relying on wifi to do the job.

Just some things to think about.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:02   #39

Thank you both.
So, 2/3/4G internet access would allow me to use a cell modem like a netstick correct?

OK. Then, that wouldn't be important for us just now.

And I totally agree with everybody who is building their own WIFI boosters. At this stage though, we are simply overloaded with projects onboard and to be honest, this is one thing we'll buy.

Robyn
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38   #40

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
So, 2/3/4G internet access would allow me to use a cell modem like a netstick ?
I'm not familiar with that term, but yes that is about adding a cell phone modem to the wifi system. So within range of a cell phone network (but not shoreside wifi) it will connect to the internet, and all users aboard can connect through the local wifi to the internet. It should be easy to add later should you choose. It is one step up from a stick as it would use ethernet instead of USB.

On a boat there is always a choice of what work to do oneself and what to outsource. If you are not a geek then buying a package sounds like a good decision.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:05   #41

Quote:
that is about adding a cell phone modem to the wifi system
Ahhhh... got it. Now I understand.

Quote:
On a boat there is always a choice of what work to do oneself and what to outsource. If you are not a geek then buying a package sounds like a good decision.
And yes that is just it. See we are definitely not Geeks. We can repair and build just about anything onboard.... but struggle with computer tech stuff. So, I think the Wirie will be good for us.

And thanks for all your input.
Robyn
Old 09-11-2014, 04:18   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I guess my follow up would be how available is public WiFi these days. About 8 years ago when WiFi was a bit new there were often unlocked networks around. These days it seems like most networks are locked and people coastal cruising at least are using some type of 4g wireless service?

For example, how useful is it to have antenna like this in the Bahamas and Caribbean at this stage?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:29   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

those of us cruising west coast mexico use either wifi in marinas(summer season) and restaurants and coffee shops or 3g service, with limited data service, or a combination of both.
i use a combination of both.
there is wifi available in mexico-- a key is required and not difficult to acquire.
friends in caribbe swear by their island time and other systems, and i see the use for this kind of system here in mexico
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:30   #44

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I guess my follow up would be how available is public WiFi these days. About 8 years ago when WiFi was a bit new there were often unlocked networks around. These days it seems like most networks are locked and people coastal cruising at least are using some type of 4g wireless service?

For example, how useful is it to have antenna like this in the Bahamas and Caribbean at this stage?
Open, free wifi is much less available than it once was. but still available. I am responding to this post on an open wifi while at anchor off the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. But our wifi system is in use daily, whether open wifi or not. While many others need to haul their computers to the marina office or lounge to get on line, we pick up the marina wifi in the comfort of the boat just as well as they do. Often while at anchor we pick up wifi from coffeeshops, and restaurants. In the Bahamas, it's a must. The wifi is over the air for the pay as you go, which most cruisers use in the Abacos and Georgetown. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:41   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
Open, free wifi is much less available than it once was. but still available. I am responding to this post on an open wifi while at anchor off the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. But our wifi system is in use daily, whether open wifi or not. While many others need to haul their computers to the marina office or lounge to get on line, we pick up the marina wifi in the comfort of the boat just as well as they do. Often while at anchor we pick up wifi from coffeeshops, and restaurants. In the Bahamas, it's a must. The wifi is over the air for the pay as you go, which most cruisers use in the Abacos and Georgetown. Chuck
The problem with paid WiFi is that you can only receive it in one spot. Or at best in selected marinas using the same system. Once you shove off, you're on your own and have to start all over again, and pay again.

Meanwhile, mobile telephone internet ("mobile broadband") gets better and better with almost every passing year. I have just implemented LTE on my boat and switched to EE as the provider (from TMobile, who block VOIP). I'm getting incredible bandwidth -- 14 mbs download and 5 mbs upload with latency of under 50ms. Only fairly recently did I have this much bandwidth at home; and I remember not so long ago when an E1 line (1.5 mbs in each direction) supported a whole office full of people and was considered to be a huge pipe.

2 gigabytes of data cost 10 pounds (about $16).

And I have a connection not only in every port, but offshore up to 10 miles or so.

In my opinion, WiFi is becoming ever more irrelevant for cruisers. I do have a Ubiquiti Bullet, but I haven't used it once in the last two years -- never finished connecting it after my refit. I used to use it when cruising briefly in a country where I didn't have a data SIM card -- like in Jersey a couple of years ago.

But now it has started to seem natural to buy a new data sim card every time I enter a new country. This last summer I cruised 3000 miles through 10 countries and always had a data connection. I have a small collection of SIM cards, and I spent some money, but $20 to $50 per country seems a small price to pay to have continuous connectivity, which is necessary for me since I am not retired and have to run my business while I'm cruising.

Mobile broadband data has gotten to be so good that I am using VOIP more and more. With this kind of bandwidth, a VOIP connection is often better than a normal telephone. And the cost for international calls is a fraction -- usually 1c or less per minute.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, marine