Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 23:17   #16

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Best location for Autopilot controller?

G'day, mate. Here's our autopilot (COMNAV) control head on our center cockpit Mason 53. Inherited the location from the previous owner. Like stated above, accessible from both the helm for day sailing and dodger for offshore work. I added the additional weather protection. Despite the claims, the displays don't last forever in this environment.

A tip, where ever you decide to mount it, make sure it doesn't interfere with your favorite place to sit and have a rum, I know ;-) Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autopilot.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	36597  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 05:26   #17

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Best location for Autopilot controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
A tip, where ever you decide to mount it, make sure it doesn't interfere with your favorite place to sit and have a rum, I know ;-) Cheers.
Thanks for that one! I have been considering how it will be effected by lounging kids or a sleeping dog so I might as well add that one for me.
I have my Speed and Depth displays next to the companionway and often find a teenager covering them just as the water gets a bit thin. I'll have to try taping a list of chores next to the S&D to clear them out!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 06:19   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Best Location for Autopilot Controller?

Unlike a poster above, my experience with Ray has been good to very good. Pity they had that SeaTalk thing rather than regular NMEA back then but today (so they say) the new SeaTalk is in fact N2K so I assume the interfacing issues should be a thing of the past. On the other hand, when connections were Ray to Ray, they were always plug-in and play.

Our depth control unit is still the 30 (Autohelm) series - gotten at the sale (2003), sailed RTW and still here in the cockpit looking brand new and working (touch wood;-) flawlessly. What can I say.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 06:26   #19

Mark,
I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from reference the comm. problems with the RM gear. I have a pretty basic list of electronics now (Seatalk ST60 S&D, CP plotter with NMEA0183, furuno gps and old RM radar). The AP will use up all the boat toy budget for this year so future compatability is a must. I had thought of using the Seatalkng-Seatalk converter for now but hoped to switch over to all NMEA2000 or Seatalkng in the next few years. The Seatalk remote may upset that applecart according to the RM manual I have since a Seatalk-Seatalkng network precludes a NMEA2000 backbone. I feel a bit like a dog chasing my own tail but am sure that I will sort this out to my satisfaction before too long. My choices right now appear to be stay all ST-STng (provided the remote will work like that), forego the remote until RM catches up or maybe forego RM altogether!
I'm enjoying the learning process and all your help.
Best regards,
David
Old 29-01-2012, 06:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Unlike a poster above, my experience with Ray has been good to very good. Pity they had that SeaTalk thing rather than regular NMEA back then but today (so they say) the new SeaTalk is in fact N2K so I assume the interfacing issues should be a thing of the past. On the other hand, when connections were Ray to Ray, they were always plug-in and play.

Our depth control unit is still the 30 (Autohelm) series - gotten at the sale (2003), sailed RTW and still here in the cockpit looking brand new and working (touch wood;-) flawlessly. What can I say.

b.
I've had good luck with my ST60's as well although they are considerably less travelled! Maybe more freeze/thaw cycles though...
I really like the look of the new i70, p70 and plotters that they are making now. I'm sure that I'm overthinking some of this considering that I coastal cruise and am quite unlikely to find myself going RTW but I enjoy the mental exercise.
I'm sure I can interact NMEA2000 with ST-STng as long as I use RM cabling and adapters so that is probably not a big issue in reality. I do like to sort these things out before I spend the kids tuition and really appreciate the real world experience that you and others share!
Thanks
Old 29-01-2012, 11:40   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my cockpit is dry dry dry and is an open platform way above sea level. waters breaking over boat do so at waist of boat.
all electronix in cockpit are relatively protected from seas.
also i have doors,as do most cruising ketches i have ever met.
drop boards are found in converted sloops functioning on design as day sailors/weekenders and inland cruising boats. (oops. did i step on toesies??)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 15:23   #22

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
also i have doors,as do most cruising ketches i have ever met. drop boards are found in converted sloops functioning on design as day sailors/weekenders and inland cruising boats. (oops. did i step on toesies??)
What do you like about doors?
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
What do you like about doors?
they are actually practical for cruising boats. have ventilation and security, when installed correctly, and look good. what is NOT to like about them. easier to close in a sea also than are drop boards, i find. btdt with both. i will keep using a cruiser with doors--
Old 30-01-2012, 10:47   #24

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Best Location for Autopilot Controller ?

Thanks Zeehag, I've had both and was curious if there was a reason to prefer one or the other. The previous owner of my current boat switched it from hatchboards to doors and I was wondering why...
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 14:06   #25

i dont have to try to remember where i placed my boards when i need to close door, and i can keep water out nicely, as my cockpit and back deck area are dry. i dont kno wwhat i woul d keep if i still sailed my ericson--- she has drop boards....hard to pick up in my paws....
Old 30-01-2012, 14:11   #26

In the FWIW Dept.... I recieved a prompt response from Raymarine today telling me that the Smartcontroller will work with the X-30 AP and the P-70 control head via a Seatalk/Seatalkng interface. Also it would be fine to add Maretron NMEA2000 backbone cable onto STng backbone. I'm planning on going NMEA2000 to allow more options for the future. I've read of several folks here using the Simrad AP on a NMEA200 network, anyone mixing and matching on the Raymarine?
Old 30-01-2012, 14:53   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Good news on the remote. I think the ST/STng interface has an N2K output (I just installed one on another boat, but can't remember exactly), so mixing and matching in the future should be no problem. Just connect the interface to the N2K network and everything on the inquisition side of it should show up on the enlightenment side. All new RM gear is N2k.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 16:28   #28

Thanks Mark! You've been a lot of help!
Best regards,
David

Tags
autopilot