Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2022, 07:41   #16

Re: Best drones for boats

I have an DJI Air2S, it’s great!

Had a Mavic2 Zoom, it “was” great but had an issue with compass calibration and taking off in 20kts of wind.,.now is in the bottom of the Sir Francis Drake Channel. My new rule is not to fly unless it’s under 10 knots of breeze if we are sailing.

Also just a side note, if you purchase a bunch of this type of electronic gear, buying through Best Buy and getting their Total Tech package gives you the same insurance as going through DJI, and costs about the same, only difference is it also covers all your other gear too.

Another tip I would say is get an Insta360 camera, they are awesome and like the stuff you can do with it better than the drone. It can even give you Drone like shots.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:30   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygodactyl View Post
Thanks to all for the informative replies. I’m focusing on the Dji mini pro 3 for multiple reasons and the tip about setting it to return to controller is huge. I assume crew could that way catch it on approach, with gloves of course. I’m wondering if you can pre-program a landing GPS coordinate so it could just return to some nearby land spot for later retrieval?
I use RTH most of the time (ashore) where I often send it out some way. You have to be sure that you have set a suitable minimum altitude so it clears any terrain along the way. That is the height it arrives at base at, it then comes straight on down.
So - handy to bring it home - not so good for landing on a yacht even if the yacht is in *exactly* the same spot.

Also as they have obstacle sensors it is best to fly them in backwards, this also means that its movements are intuitive - you move joystick left drone goes left, you pull joystick towards you drone comes towards you.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:48   #18

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I put my go pro on a kite string using a picavet rig.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 13:03   #19

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I would like to employ an experienced drone flyer to take shots of my schooner under full sail. The boat is in New Bern, NC and anyone interested please PM me.
Old 03-12-2022, 16:23   #20

Boat: McIntosh 47

Unfortunately bensolomon, most drone operators cannot operate for pay. Operator must be Part 107 certified as a remote operator for commercial operation. Best you make these arrangements ‘offline’. Perhaps
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 16:52   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I would like to employ an experienced drone flyer to take shots of my schooner under full sail. The boat is in New Bern, NC and anyone interested please PM me.
Based on SJ2581's post the most cost effective solution - rather than employing a proffessional - is probably to buy a sibling or child a drone for Christmas and get them to film your boat.

Kills two birds with one stone.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:37   #22

Boat: Norman Cross, Ray Pond Trimaran, 50

We used different drones. Technology wise - DJI has had the lead for many years. I

n theory, their lighter mini drones can shoot as good as the bigger ones - which is of course a big advantage

yet on a moving boat matters much more how to handle a drone during take off and landing (main challenges during a flight).

Main advantage of a bigger and not so beautiful Phantom 4Pro+ has already been mentioned: it has landing gear!. Everybody can easily catch it by slowly grabbing the landing gear during landing. This is also feasible in moving waters.

To land a mini or mavics during swells? Much more tricky and risky! Both have nothing to grab, when trying to catch them back on board.

Even they are not as beautiful and small - highly recommend to go for a 2nd hand Phantom 4Pro+
volksbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:10   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Some drones have 'auto follow' and 'auto return' features. Auto Follow lets the drone automatously follow you without needing to be flown, Auto Return lets the drone return to the user when the battery level falls to a certain point. Most Auto Return will return to where the user is now, not just where they were when launched. If I were to try it on a moving boat, I think I'd rig a fine net 'trampoline' to (crash) land on rather than reach up from a heaving deck close to spinning blades... For use from a boat, a model that floats and is water resistant should be a no-brainer. (Don't forget the camera needs to be water resistant as well.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:31   #24

The drone you pick must be something you will not be terribly upset if it sinks..
I recommend my SG907-MAX drone..
It has all the features, and great video recording onto its SD CARD and to your phone at the same time.

Got it off Aliexpress and wasn't very expensive..
-t
tkalfaoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:38   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I've only (so far) flown my DJI Mini 2 from the boat while at anchor. I slack the genoa sheets and lay them down on the deck to clear a "launch pad" up forward. For landing I fly the drone back to me then take hold of one of the antenna/legs then throttle down to zero. Haven't actually 'landed' on the deck yet, nor tried with the boat in motion. As Redline is now hauled out and covered for the winter, that will have to wait until next year.

Not to hijack the thread, but a question for the group: Raymarine Axiom has "UAV integration" for DJI Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 and a vague mention of ongoing support. Has anyone had luck with the Mini 2? Nothing happened when I tried it.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:44   #26

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksbar View Post
We used different drones. Technology wise - DJI has had the lead for many years. I

n theory, their lighter mini drones can shoot as good as the bigger ones - which is of course a big advantage

yet on a moving boat matters much more how to handle a drone during take off and landing (main challenges during a flight).

Main advantage of a bigger and not so beautiful Phantom 4Pro+ has already been mentioned: it has landing gear!. Everybody can easily catch it by slowly grabbing the landing gear during landing. This is also feasible in moving waters.

To land a mini or mavics during swells? Much more tricky and risky! Both have nothing to grab, when trying to catch them back on board.

Even they are not as beautiful and small - highly recommend to go for a 2nd hand Phantom 4Pro+
Just add a large Ziptie to grab. 10ct solution.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:02   #27

Boat: Trimarans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Just add a large Ziptie to grab. 10ct solution.

I was thinking of tying a string with a small weight to grab. Might interfere with downward proximity sensors.

A zip tie might be better, but it would need to be cut each time you want to fold it. And on Mini 2 it would slide aft to the proximity sensors
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:34   #28

Take a look at what Intrepid Bear is using. Ian uses drone in his video footage all the time.
jim ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35   #29

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygodactyl View Post
Anyone have experience flying drones off a sailboat? What are the best models and what features should you look for or seek to avoid?
the dji mini is the best to catch it after use I use a 2 feet dipnet on a pole and its great and save splashes....
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:38   #30

Boat: Sabre 426

Here is an alternative that we have used with some success in the Chesapeake.

Put the drone operator, drone, and visual observer/drone catcher into your dinghy. Anchor the dinghy and film the big boat as it passes by. The semi-stationary dinghy is much easier to land on than the moving deck despite the smaller surface area. It won't get you the big blue water shots that you might have hoped for, but your drone has a higher chance of staying dry.

I fly a DJI Mavic 2S which has replaced a Spark (tree victim) and Mavic Mini (watery grave), so I recommend that you go in knowing that drones, like boats, can come up with creative ways to thwart even the most diligent planner.
NautiDog426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat