Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2022, 10:55   #16

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Best brand for instruments/plotter

Concerning the "need" for radar, I believe the OP, contemplating a circumnavigation would certainly find radar useful. To Jammer's list of benefits of radar I would add the ability to track and avoid squalls using MARPA. I also use it to more accurately place our boat in a crowded anchorage as the radar is better than I am at gauging distances.

I chose Navico products when outfitting our boat specifically for the availability of broadband radar. The 'instant on' feature and low electrical draw are particularly of benefit to a cruising boat. I have been disappointed with the reliability of Navico wind sensors and cables but do not know if other brands are any better.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 14:29   #17

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Given the Ray Doppler quantum can be got for about 2K euros and Ray chartplottdr start from about 700 euros ( yes the 12 inch is 2k

But I don’t see 8000 dollars
it's a big world and it depends where you are sitting

https://www.whitworths.com.au/raymar...-sonar-display

https://www.whitworths.com.au/raymar...nce-technology

cheers,
Old 19-09-2022, 04:47   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Furuno is highly regarded by commercial fishing operators but they don't care about true vs. apparent wind or chart availability for locations halfway around the world from them.

???

Without regard for whether suitable for sailing or not... or comparisons to offerings from the other big players...

I haven't noticed any issues with NOAA chart availability (both vector and raster) for here in the U.S. and for our Furuno MFDs. And they still offer C-Map and (I think) CMOR options... (Also offered Navionics, before, but Garmin apparently changed that relationship more recently when they acquired Navionics.

Anyway, seems to me lots of chart options for our areas. Am I missing something?

???

-Chris
Old 19-09-2022, 05:10   #19

I recently did a similar greenfield upgrade identical to OPs question and went with Simrad/Navico (B&G). If I were to do it again, I'd make the same choice. I mostly compared to Furuno. If I were to seek a higher end system with bigger budget, I'd go Furuno, at least on my trawler. With multiple MFDs for flybridge and some additional sensors (ForwardScan and an Airmar wind/weather sensor), I'm in around $11k. Navico has a serviceable app so phone or table could be a repeater if desired thus reducing cost via fewer MFDs, the expensive part of rhe system.

Choice is harder for powerboats- given B&Gs sail oriented features, tough to go with something else.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 07:38   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
With multiple MFDs for flybridge and some additional sensors (ForwardScan and an Airmar wind/weather sensor), I'm in around $11k.

Are you happy with the ForwardScan?
Old 19-09-2022, 11:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Are you happy with the ForwardScan?
Eh, it's okay. My trawler is a full displacement with full keel. I use the Forward scan for Braille approach into an anchorages. That was my expectation so good. If expectation is seeing far enough head when doing 8-kts to avoid something, would be disappointed.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 08:27   #22

I will tell you while I think B&G is great stuff and perhaps more advanced then any other electronics for sailboats I would not buy theirs. One reason. Their Customer Service is horrible. Garmin on the other hand has phenomenal customer service. I like Raymarine’s offerings. I have no idea how their customer service is after the sale.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 08:34   #23

Boat: 29 ft

Does any of the brands have a bright red or yellow button to get a MOB fix in a single button push? If yes - I would seriously consider to go with that brand.

Yes, the modern electronics have more features than you will probably ever need. But do they also all get the basics of useability in difficult situations right? From the past - MOB fix hidden somewhere in the menues, ... .
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 09:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

My previous catamaran had new B&G. My current larger catamaran has 14 year old Raymarine.

I like both very much, that said:

B&G: cutting edge technology and resolution, BUT very sensitive equipment and I lost wind and radar in a static electricity storm down island. (No strike). B&G said this happens as a result of the very fine connections used for radical performance.

RatMarine: unit is 14 years old and STILL works. It has the most important feature for me: “sail-steer”, though it is not labelled and you must read the manual to know the feature exists. BUT it has it. Equipment does not shut off randomly like my B&G (happened on other owners Inspoke to as well).

In the end: let budget decide. Both will need service at some point.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 09:43   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Best brand for instruments/plotter

In my experience nothing Furuno offers in its leisure line makes a compelling argument

Ray gear tends to be very long lived my st60 instruments were originals and were working perfectly up to get recent lightening strike.

Garmin make good MFDs but I’m not impressed by their autopilot and I had their latest the ray EVO1 is well ahead

All the big four have largely identical systems and capability the choice is down to reliability and servicing. I can walk into chandleries and raymarine dealers and get cables , spare parts etc. it’s like having a Volvo penta engine.

Furuno forget it.
Old 23-09-2022, 10:20   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I have had good service and reasonable pricing from Garmin for over 20 years with 2 vessels. Whatever you buy try to stay with one manufacturer. I do have a Raymarine autopilot.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 10:28   #27

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

I have raymarine everything except radar. My dad has the radar and it seems fine. The raymarine is very easy to install and the quality seems to be good. The autopilot seems to be the standard, but it does work better with all the sensors available. It hasn't really been cutting edge for a long time, but its very dependable.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 10:31   #28

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
???

Without regard for whether suitable for sailing or not... or comparisons to offerings from the other big players...

I haven't noticed any issues with NOAA chart availability (both vector and raster) for here in the U.S. and for our Furuno MFDs. And they still offer C-Map and (I think) CMOR options... (Also offered Navionics, before, but Garmin apparently changed that relationship more recently when they acquired Navionics.

Anyway, seems to me lots of chart options for our areas. Am I missing something?

???

-Chris
The chart options for Furuno are abysmal. I had just finished two and a half months in Canada, and they are virtually unusable. Due to various market reasons, they only offer C-Map, and they are dangerously inadequate. I know in some regions, such as the Bahamas, some people consider C-Map the gold standard. But in Canada, if you have a Furuno chartplotter, you better have Navionics on your smartphone or you will be lost.

Our last port in Canada was Yarmouth. Not a single buoy in the entire harbor showed on my chartplotter. About 30 of them showed on my smartphone.

In numerous places, an anchorage showed no spot depths and indicated the entire anchorage was under 6 ft. Navionics on my phone, and my depth sounder, showed us anchoring in 20 ft.

On the flip side, Furuno provides updated NOAA charts for the US at no cost, a huge benefit.

If you are going to spend your sailing career in US waters, I would recommend Furuno. If you think you might ever leave the country, I wouldn't dream of a Furuno chartplotter.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 10:38   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Best brand for instruments/plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I have raymarine everything except radar. My dad has the radar and it seems fine. The raymarine is very easy to install and the quality seems to be good. The autopilot seems to be the standard, but it does work better with all the sensors available. It hasn't really been cutting edge for a long time, but its very dependable.

I have recently sailed with garmins latest ap , rays Ev1 and b&g

I’d easily rate the Ev1 as the best, excellent in quartering seas and downwind. Watching the wheel correcting as she rolled in downwind was interesting
Old 23-09-2022, 13:18   #30

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Yeah, the downwind performance of the raymarine autopilot is surprisingly good. It does work much better with the rudder position sensor though. I tried without it initially for a few years, and I finally installed it this spring. More responsive, and learns the wave frequency faster. Putting the position sensor as close to the center of movement helps too. On mine, that's near the mast, but not so near it bothers the GPS stuff.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instruments, men, rum