Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 10:38   #1

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Best Android Anchor Drag Alarm for Android?

title says it all. Need a good anchor drag alarm for my Android Samsung GS4

what's the best anchor drag alarm.

I tested most of them, most stink.

Some critical features I want:
  • Remember the last location used
    surprisingly many/most dont remember the last anchor setting if the app is turned off or it crashes
    When I turn the app on, i want it to ask me if I want to use the last known anchor location.
  • icon in notification area showing app is running
    again, some apps don't have an icon showing it is running if you switch to another program. Some apps will stay running without the indicator, but if it crashes you will never know.
  • Have a loud, obnoxious sound that can be muted!
    Again, surprisingly, some apps just use stock notification alerts which can be a simple beep or soothing noise. I want something that will get my attention, if it pisses me off, even better! BUT I want to be able to mute it. some apps only mute when you go back in the geofenced area.
  • make it hard to turn off the app.
    I want to have to select exit and stop service from a menu and an 'are you sure' reminder if I do. Just backing out, I don't want the app to stop

Most apps have most of these features, but not all in one app that I have found. The ones in the chart plotters seem good, but don't want them running all the time

Thoughts? suggestions??
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 12:02   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Best Android Anchor Drag Alarm for Android?

Whichever you select, make sure your tab does not go into sleep/lock or otherwise mode while anchored ... Most do unless you are pretty good at toggling their Android toggles.

For this reason we stay with a battery / 12V GPS unit on and set with multiple alarms while anchored in iffy conditions.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 12:16   #3

Yes. When its blowing or will blow or the swing will change, I will fire up a small GPS or put the plotter on.

I DID find my favorite app which is no longer available on Google play on the Amazon app store - My Anchor Watch. The closest I can find that I feel comfortable with.

Going to the Spade anchor fro m a CQR, has made anchoring less of a contact sport at 3am!

But surprised how much most of the anchor alarm apps stink!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-07-2014, 05:04   #4

I found many Apps (and also our Garmin alarms) to stick to the wrong idea of where the anchor is. What good is an app that assumes your anchor is where you pushed the button? I think then the anchor location should be projected from our actual location once set.

Also, the safe/unsafe zones should be customizable and most flexible - it is often that we are interested not just in the anchor dragging (which is rare, if you anchored with the right stuff at the right spot) but foremost in the boat getting too close to an obstruction (a neighbouring boat, a rock, a wharf, etc.)

My last call is to make sure if it is an App then it should be capable of sending an alarm sms / wifi /direct wifi / alarm call to my phone. This is in case I am ashore when my boat starts to do odd things on her own.

b.
Old 18-07-2014, 05:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I found many Apps (and also our Garmin alarms) to stick to the wrong idea of where the anchor is. What good is an app that assumes your anchor is where you pushed the button? I think then the anchor location should be projected from our actual location once set.

Also, the safe/unsafe zones should be customizable and most flexible - it is often that we are interested not just in the anchor dragging (which is rare, if you anchored with the right stuff at the right spot) but foremost in the boat getting too close to an obstruction (a neighbouring boat, a rock, a wharf, etc.)

My last call is to make sure if it is an App then it should be capable of sending an alarm sms / wifi /direct wifi / alarm call to my phone. This is in case I am ashore when my boat starts to do odd things on her own.

b.
THats why I use an app on my phone at the bow when I drop the anchor..so the error where the anchor is minimized. That the nice thing about using an app, or handheld gps.

some apps have swing zones (for lack of a better term). its a nice additional feature, but if the basic features are not met , then some of the optional ones are moot.

One more feature, that your bring up, is having the ability to enter a gps location manually, or as you suggest, project it out. Or maybe have an 'add boat length' if you can't be at the bow when you press the button.

A 40' boat can add probably a good 30' to the anchor drop point!
Old 18-07-2014, 06:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

IDrifter XL seems reasonably good. (I have an iPad, but I presume there is an Android version)

I have not used it much. I prefer the stability and reliability of dedicated GPS. The marine units which alow you to set a remote waypoint as the centre of the swing can be set up to do most things the apps will do such as providing a sector alarm. However, they cannot send you an SMS.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 07:32   #7

After experimenting with several apps, I use my hand-held Garmin GPS. Batteries last for days compared to my phone which lasts for hours. Aside from the alarm, I like the visual track within the alarm radius.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 08:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
(...) I like the visual track within the alarm radius.
Don,

Which make do you have?

Ours do not show the radius (Garmin now, but Ray elsewhere).

b.
Old 18-07-2014, 13:55   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
IDrifter XL seems reasonably good. (I have an iPad, but I presume there is an Android version)
iDrifter XL by Green Turtle Apps is only for the iPad. They have a number of interesting looking sailing apps for Apple products but alas none for the Android. :-(

greenturtleapps.de
I am a sailing programmer and also a programming sailor and I would like to introduce my products. In the past, I have been programming applications with nautical background for private use, but the iPhone and the Apple Appstore enables me to bring those programs into iPhones and hence the large nautical community.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 14:24   #10

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Sailsafe. I use it all the time and it will wake you up. Does everything an anchor alarm needs to do and you can customize it.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 07:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Don,

Which make do you have?

Ours do not show the radius (Garmin now, but Ray elsewhere).

b.
Garmin GPSMAP 76.
Old 19-07-2014, 11:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Garmin GPSMAP 76.
Then what you assumed to be you anchor alarm circle is indeed your position accuracy circle!

No anchor alarm circle on Garmins. Neither on Rays.

Yep, we have a couple of 72 and 76 units here too.

b.
Old 19-07-2014, 11:43   #13

I stand corrected - I have the GPSMap 76cx with our local sailing area BlueCharts. This GPS does show your track as you wander around your anchor, with an alarm http://www8.garmin.com/specs/gpsmap76xseries0806.pdf.

I found it more convenient to turn on the Garmin at night, let it track our position, and easily glance at the screen to see that we are still in the same squiggly track area. I really wanted to use my iPhone as an anchor alarm. I looked at 1/2 dozen apps. I was disappointed with battery usage and keeping my iPhone plugged in. With that, I might as well use the dedicated chart-plotter's alarm (if I could hear it).
Don
Old 20-07-2014, 05:23   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Wow, thanks for the tip on SailSafe! I just tried it, and it seems pretty good. Running an anchor alarm on my phone allows me to power off all my bridge electronics. I keep the phone on a charger and next to the berth all night anyway. I'd been using a couple of other apps, generically named "anchor" and "anchor alarm". They worked OK, but so far I like SailSafe better.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 05:47   #15

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow, thanks for the tip on SailSafe! I just tried it, and it seems pretty good. Running an anchor alarm on my phone allows me to power off all my bridge electronics. I keep the phone on a charger and next to the berth all night anyway. I'd been using a couple of other apps, generically named "anchor" and "anchor alarm". They worked OK, but so far I like SailSafe better.

You bet!
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor