Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 10:37   #1

BandG Zeus3 issues that are maddening, please help

4 Zeus3 chart plotters (2017 installed on new Passport Vista 54ft sailboat), no depth recorded on the chart plotters that state
[OFF] DST XXX [OEM-Serial Code]

I get there by going to:
settings
network
source
depth
[OFF] DST XXX [OEM-Serial Code]

If I go to
settings
network
device list
IT DOES NOT SHOW DST XXX [OEM-Serial Code]

The chart plotter that does work shows it in the device list and works fine.

I have powered everything off and turned back on. Yesterday it was fine and showed on 3 chart plotters the depth and the device list had the DST XXX [OEM Serial Code] listed.

Today turning on the power I have 2 chart plotters not showing the depth and one will turn on and you see the BandG logo and then it fades out and the screen is blank with nothing.

Working with Tier 2 BandG they tell me to chase the wires and see if there is any corrosion. Not skilled to take that on and common sense suggests that if I can just find a way to figure out why the DST XXX thing is in [off] mode and just turn it on. Is it a software issue? Why is it one day working the next day [off]? Why is the helm chart plotter fading out and gong blank? Is all of this a power issue?

I could use some help and keep in mind my skill level is -0. I have had a BandG tech on board and could not figure it out and they called BandG who then told me to check wires for corrision and call back if I still had issues.

Thank you for any advice
LivingWater54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 11:05   #2

Re: BandG Zeus3 issues that are maddening, please help

If it works sometimes but not all the time, I would suspect wiring as an issue, not software., unless you recently updated software right before the problem started. Assuming it used to work and has recently started failing, it does point towards that type of issue also.

It could also be a power issue, which also would likely be the wiring, though this assumes your batteries are at charge and aren't extremely low. Confirming your batteries are outputting a solid current is probably a good first step.

Creating a new temporary backbone with T"s and a few extra cables should be relatively simple for anyone who has built a system, and would allow them to mix match different components to identify if and where a bad connection might be. Assuming it's temporary and not run through conduits, it should be easy to rig as a diagnostic tool, where you can eliminate and add devices, probably in under an hour, and avoid the hassle and cost of actually running new lines if there isn't a problem with them.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 12:21   #3

Thank you. Couple of items to contemplate....we change out all our batteries on the boat and updated to the latest software for BandG that comes up on the screen. The chart plotters are up to date on software but the Triton2 instruments have not been updated in the last 5 months.

This all started with the auto pilot was not working with the switches but worked on all the chart plotters. Then refrigerator/winches were not working up to speed and found out the batteries were failing. Docked and changed out all the batteries since then the 4 charts worked but 2 actually had a different depth (difference of 2 feet, which was new) so we called a BandG tech person to get the same depth on all the charts. He couldn't fix it and placed a call to BandG. We ordered new auto pilot switches (2) and will install tomorrow.
Batteries are putting out solid current and with the recent software update done not sure now what to think.

I will take your advice but will call the tech person and have them come aboard to do the mixing and matching and try to diagnose where the problem actually exists. Thank you for posting a response.
Old 28-02-2021, 18:11   #4

it will turn "on" when depth info is available. that means there is currently no depth info getting to that screen. but it was set to use that transducer.

if only 1 screen shows the dst transducer in the device list you have an issue with the nema 2000 back bone. do you see the other screens in the device list? you should see all 4 screens + the pilot and whatever else you have.

if the depth is different on different screens then you have 2 transducers in use.

or you have an install offset set on one screen only. but I don't think you can do that. it likly changes the offset on all screens.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:37   #5

With the number of devices you have on NMEA 2000 bus, I wonder have you exceeded the power supplying capability of the bus?
Do you need to add a second power tap to the bus?
What is the correct way of adding a second power tap to a NMEA 2000 system?
Did the installer calculate the power budget for the system?
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:43   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWater54 View Post
Docked and changed out all the batteries since then the 4 charts worked but 2 actually had a different depth (difference of 2 feet, which was new) so we called a BandG tech person to get the same depth on all the charts. the problem actually exists.
On the chartplotters, check the depth offset for each CP. The transducer sends raw data, the Cps then add or subtract the offset to the data to get a read out. Each CP may have a different offset entered. Simple solutions first.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:26   #7

Thank you for all the suggestions and help. Turned out to be a software issue. Did a hard reset with the help of BandG and solved the depth issues. The helm we had to unplug everything from behind except the power and did a hard reset and now we are up and running just fine.

I believe with our batteries running low amps it must have triggered something internally with the chart plotters. After installing all new batteries it took a hard reset to get them going again.

I have learned more on how to eliminate certain items to properly diagnose issues and spent $$$ on great tech support along with the tech support from BandG. Ahhh, the life on a boat....now to get the SpectraWatermaker up and running! If I run into trouble I know where to ask the questions! Thanks again.

Tags
lease