Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 18:17   #1

Balmar Regulator Blowing Fuses

I have a new Balmar mc-614 regulator in a brand new boat. The 10A power fuse keeps blowing. Balmar has instructed the dealer to replace the fuse a number of times. Finally, Balmar has said that they have seen this before, and the 10A fuse should be replaced with at 15A fuse.

Has anyone heard of this? Should I be concerned that this is a device designed for 10A protection and now it is protected with a 15A fuse?
cruiser_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 02:10   #2

Re: Balmar Regulator Blowing Fuses

I have the same problem, the Balmar Regulator keeps blowing the 10A fuse. Apparently the fused wire powers the box and only needs a fraction of an amp. I had the alternator re-wired to the regulator. Nothing wrong with the previous wiring was found, and the problem persists. It seems to occur when the bow thruster is used and I noted that the Cristec's dedicated alternator sense connection is in fact connected to the engine battery. However this shouldn't explain why the Regulator demands more than 10A.
Hywel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 04:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Balmar Regulator Blowing Fuses

The MC-614 is capable of a max short duration output of 20A to the field and 15A continuous. The fuse protects the wire so ideally all MC-614's should have a 20A fuse but for most applications a 15A will be fine...

In most installations (small case alternators) the MC-614 will not need to deliver more than about 6A - 8.5A but for some alternators they can use upwards of 12-15A on the field for short durations. When you kick in a thruster and pull battery voltage down you can briefly demand more field and blow a 10A fuse rather easily......
Old 16-06-2015, 10:12   #4

Smile Re: Balmar Regulator Blowing Fuses

That's extremely helpful and Balmar have confirmed that a 15A fuse is okay. I have a 160A alternator which obviously requires more than 10A when using the Bow Thruster at tick over. Thank you Maine Sail.
Hywel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, fuses, regulator