Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:36   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Back up AP

I don't understand why any AP can't be sold after passage making days are over?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The rule that any item you have a spare for never breaks down , certainly applied to my experiences of Rays APs, ( the under deck versions ) did a couple of transatlantics and never had one fail.

I think the key issue is an AP operating well , well inside its operating envelope.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2014, 07:17   #33

Boat: Lagoon 450

Someone mentioned that the RM SPX30 system and their other AP's are quite reliable. We all know that everything eventually breakdown at sea. Id like to hear from those that have had issues with their RM APs which can guide us to which parts, short of a complete redundant system, to buy as spares?

We also have the SPX30 and its performed well to date. Had one on my previous boat too with good results. But now we blue water and its one of the systems I haven't spares for...mmmm.

Pls guide me as to what does go wrong with these units, when they go?
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:21   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand why any AP can't be sold after passage making days are over?

Mark
I think this maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Second because the cpt installs without drilling any holes my plan was to sell it once our passage making days were over.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33   #35

Boat: Outbound 44

I went through 3 Ray AP computers (all different models) over about a 7 year period on my previous boat. The linear drive worked fine. With Ray equipment most times that you change the AP computer you also have to change the control head, as they are usually not computable with an older model. Also had 1 or 2 compass units fail. I switched to Furuno AP computer and have not had issues.?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think this maybe?
Well, you don't drill holes in the AP! The number of holes needed in the boat wouldn't make any difference to resale of the AP.

A few small screws to mount the computer and compass and a couple of bolts for the drive unit and the whole shebang is in place and out of the way ready to go at a moments notice. The CPT will need to be stowed somewhere - usually a less convenient spot than a below decks installation.

If full redundancy is desired, installing a second belowdecks on a catamaran is the way to go. There is a much less advantage for a mono - where an above deck unit makes more sense.

The OP needs to drill holes anyway for his CPT - and those holes are going to be very noticeable after he sells it...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Id like to hear from those that have had issues with their RM APs which can guide us to which parts, short of a complete redundant system, to buy as spares?
We don't have a RM AP, although we do have a RM mechanical drive unit. Another CF member mentioned he and others have broken the pin that connects the drive unit to the quadrant. This may be a spare you might consider.

Mark

Old 09-10-2014, 08:32   #38

I hand steered for 2 weeks coming back from Hawaii once...no one will ever convince me not to have some form of back up!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 15:53   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, you don't drill holes in the AP! The number of holes needed in the boat wouldn't make any difference to resale of the AP.

The OP needs to drill holes anyway for his CPT - and those holes are going to be very noticeable after he sells it...

Mark
Mark, we are talking about holes in the boat and depending on mounting options, no you don't have to put any holes in the boat to mount a CPT, often the drive unit can clamp to the pedestal, assuming you have a pedestal of course.

Now on the Cat, I agree and have posted this more than once, having two independent, identical AP's one in each hull, each connected to a separate rudder is as far as I can tell the smartest thing that gives the greatest flexibility and covers more failure modes than anything I can come up with
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 16:14   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

I knew for 1.5 years that my old RM AP was dying and even when it "died" it was still working 75% of the time. It was 12 years old at "death".
Old 09-10-2014, 17:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mark, we are talking about holes in the boat and depending on mounting options, no you don't have to put any holes in the boat to mount a CPT, often the drive unit can clamp to the pedestal, assuming you have a pedestal of course.
I was just pointing out that the OP's boat would require drilling holes to mount it anyway. I understand the CPT clamps to a pedestal, but that requires a pedestal to clamp it to…

Perhaps they can come up with a clever solution that doesn't require holes, because those holes in that boat are really going to be noticeable when the CPT is removed. I suspect they will pay more to repair those holes to unnoticeable condition than they will save in buying the CPT over a below decks unit.

Mark

Old 11-10-2014, 01:11   #42
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes it would probably require a couple of holes in the steering bulkhead for the motor bracket. I agree a full backup below deck unit is the best option, but unfortunately it's 3k plus that I doubt I would get back in resale, I'm not sure on total pricing but I'd assume the AP, quadrant, drive unit and installation would be getting close to 4k, whereas the cpt is 2k and I could install it in a few hours and sell it off later if not needed and maybe drop $500 or so..
The other option of course is to buy the exact replacement unit and have the spare computer, compass and control head on board to swap out if necessary, and hope the drive unit doesn't go...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:49   #43

A couple of holes in FG are really easy to fix, done it myself several times but another option is to simply install a couple of ss pan head bolts in the holes as they never look out of place on a boat.
That said with the increased budget 2 below deck pilots, one in each hull is a good idea. The issue with spare parts is its not a great job to try and do at sea, although easy peasy at anchor. It can be done but sometimes its a real pain. Personally if I was on a budget I'd go with the CPT as they would be an easy sell on the used market OR I'd go with double below deck autopilots, then if you do have problems at sea you can just flip a switch and your good to go.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:07   #44
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Monte,
I really like the idea of the CPT. I may get one too. Personally, I'd leave it in the box as its hard to imagine taking more then 4 hours to install if ever needed. Cat's may be the perfect application as there is less force on the rudders and there is plenty of space typically on the bulkhead to install it. Great idea.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Monte,
I really like the idea of the CPT. I may get one too. Personally, I'd leave it in the box as its hard to imagine taking more then 4 hours to install if ever needed. Cat's may be the perfect application as there is less force on the rudders and there is plenty of space typically on the bulkhead to install it. Great idea.
Yes, very good idea! Love it!
Coxswain is offline   Reply With Quote