Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 11:21   #1

B & G Zeus 3 Won't Turn On

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced your B&G Zeus 3 Chart Plotter not powering up after being on the hard for a few months? I also replaced all of my battery bank with a lithium ion bank and am wondering if something may have happened during the change out. Neither the screen at the navigation station or the helm power up. Nor do the sub-screens for the depth finder or wind direction monitors. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Salty Paws Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 11:51   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: B & G Zeus 3 Won't Turn On

It's obviously an electrical problem.

Make sure you are getting 12 volts on the red and yellow wires coming from the MFD power cable.
Old 23-11-2018, 12:05   #3

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Definitely electrical. Check all of your fuses and breakers. You may want to cycle breakers off and then back on. The "sub-screens" are likely powered by the NMEA2000 network which may or may not be on the same circuit as the chart plotters.

It's something simple. You just have to find it.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 12:25   #4

It's always something simple.
Old 23-11-2018, 12:28   #5

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
It's always something simple.
..Until it's not.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 13:25   #6

My father owned a used auto parts yard for a long time. He would often fix peoples cars for them. One time he did some repairs on a young mans car in the middle of summer. The young man picked up his car and was away from the shop for a few hours before he called to say his air conditioner wasn't working. My father said he had not worked on the air conditioner and nothing he did would affect the air conditioner. The young man insisted it was my fathers fault. Being the nice guy my father was, he asked the man to bring the car back to the shop. The young man proclaimed "I can't the air conditioner is broken". My father sent a tow truck to pick up the young mans car. When the car arrived at the shop my father went to crank it but the battery was dead. He charged the battery for a bit and then cranked the car up. He turned on the air conditioner and what do you know it worked. He called the young man and told him the news. The young man was excited and rushed over to pick up his car. He paid my father for the tow and got in his car. He never started the car he just sat there. About an hour later he walked in the shop and said his air conditioner was not working. My father had been watching the whole time. Being a patient man he walks out side and hooks the battery charger up to the young mans car. My father cranked the car, turned on the air conditioner, and asked the young man to sit down in the car. The young man was amazed, the cars air conditioner had never blown such cold air.
Old 27-11-2018, 11:41   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

I had the experience of turning my B&G Zeus on in the bright sun with the unit in night mode, it was on but I couldn't see the screen. I solved the problem by looking at the manual and touching the right section of the screen to switch back to daylight mode.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote