Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 00:45   #16

Re: B&G Wind with Raymarine Chartplotter

That’s what I will do in about two weeks time. And I don’t even have to buy the package with the N2K gateway. I can hook up the lcjcapteur directly to the Furuno RD33 which translates NMEA0183 to NMEA2000.
Old_tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:45   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We are going to be pulling our mast on our "new to us" boat next week. While we have it down I was thinking of replacing the wind sensor with a B&G since we don't anticipate pulling the mast for another 10. However we are NOT going to be upgrading the rest of the raymarine equipment with B&G until we are ready to quit our jobs in three years.

The raymarine system uses SeaTalkng and a lighthouse 2 chartplotter.

Will a B&G wind sensor work with this system? - z
Does the existing Raymarine wind display work? if so I would be tempted to leave well alone and do the whole lot in 3 years time.

That said you could service the windy widget on the top of the mast whilst its down. The plug needs a good clean and a spray of contact cleaner, the o ring checked and lightly greased finally the bearings checked to ensure they are smooth. Perhaps an hours work with the mast down.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:04   #18

Boat: Norseman 447

Maretron has good stuff, and my few experiences with support have also been good. But ..... I have a system which includes 3 very old B&G displays. One of them died. From past experience, I was thinking about replacing it with Maretron's new small DMS410. But if I do that, to do any any software updates, I would have to buy the Maretron USB to network adapter for about $200, almost half the price of the display. So I’ll probably go with the Triton display instead. This isn’t a new problem. The first Maretron gear I installed was one of their wind indicators. It required a $700 display to do any calibration. We were going to buy the display anyway, so that wasn’t a deal-breaker. But their approach makes it difficult to replace some Brand X gear with Maretron gear a little-bit-ar-a-time.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:28   #19
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I would buy the whole B&G Triton package rather than just the masthead unit. I'm not even sure B&G actually makes the masthead bit, they don't make the DST either. You get the display for free basically when you buy the set, as well as all the cables in the network starter pack.

If I had to do it all over again I think I would go Garmin for the chartplotter but still buy the B&G Triton set. The Garmin plotter is worth the extra money but the Triton display is probably the star in the B&G lineup. The sailsteer system is brilliant.

We have the Triton, a Vulcan7 plotter and also the B&G V60 VHF radio and H60 wireless handset for it. I wouldn't buy thier VHF again either. Stick with a real radio manufacturer like ICOM or Standard Horizon.

Needless to say my wife and I have spent hours, nay DAYS on hold trying to get customer support out of B&G, but never once did we have any issues with the Triton components. I actually wished we had another Triton display but at $600 or so NO WAY. I wish we could display both depth information and the big sailsteer compass at the same time in a meaningful big-number way.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:34   #20

According to one spec sheet for the WS310, it outputs the NMEA 0183 MWV sentence which contains a RELATIVE wind speed and angle. Presumably the "interface" which is included will convert this to the proper NMEA2K PGN, which appears to be PGN130306. Raymarine, Garmin, Vesper all seem to use the same PGN for wind data. There might be all kinda of technical gotchas hidden in COMPLEX. multi-vendor N2K installations, but not in this case.
Old 12-09-2020, 00:52   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I would buy the whole B&G Triton package rather than just the masthead unit. I'm not even sure B&G actually makes the masthead bit, they don't make the DST either. You get the display for free basically when you buy the set, as well as all the cables in the network starter pack.
Yes this is thru.Last year i bay set from B&G 2x triton instrument,wind wane sensor,speed sensor, NMEA 2000 cable set about 100 meter difrent cable,t conector 999$

yesterday i bay Garmin autopilot Garmin GHP Reactor 40 - Universal / Mechanical / Retrofit / Solenoid Corepack, 010-00705-49 mit Display GHC™ 20 incl. GRF10 rudder sensor
890€
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:27   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Why not upgrade to an ultrasonic sensor that will work with all brands.
https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/
Their product and customer service are excellent.
We had a maretron 220WX on our previous boat. We did not like it because, even though we had it mounted on an aluminum standoff and up on a 1 foot pole the pole it is mounted on blocks the masthead light too much. The only reasonable solution would be to have a masthead light that allows you to mount a pole on the top or build some sort of bracket that is thin enough to mount the sensor above the light without blocking light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Does the existing Raymarine wind display work? if so I would be tempted to leave well alone and do the whole lot in 3 years time.

That said you could service the windy widget on the top of the mast whilst its down. The plug needs a good clean and a spray of contact cleaner, the o ring checked and lightly greased finally the bearings checked to ensure they are smooth. Perhaps an hours work with the mast down.

Pete
Yes and I agree. I think what we have decided to do (with the advise of our rigger) is to pull all the wires in the wire runs, clean the wire conduits and the wires themselves to they are as clean as they can be, and then run a lead so when we do pull new wires in three years they run easily as they can without too much interference.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 05:06   #23

Boat: 1995 Nonsuch 354

Quote:
We are going to be pulling our mast on our "new to us" boat next week. While we have it down I was thinking of replacing the wind sensor with a B&G since we don't anticipate pulling the mast for another 10. However we are NOT going to be upgrading the rest of the raymarine equipment with B&G until we are ready to quit our jobs in three years.

Will a B&G wind sensor work with this system?

- z
Jumping in on an old thread...

I just installed the WS310 on my mast, having replaced a Airmar Weatherstation that fell into the drink (goodbye, $1,500!). My setup is a Heinz mutt mix of Garmin 740s MFD, Raymarine a68 MFD and Raymarine P70 A/P contoller at the cockpit, all contained within a NavPod.

The WS310 which is NMEA0183, connects to a 20 m/65 ft NMEA0183 cable which connects to an included 6 ft B&G NMEA0183-to-NMEA2000 interface which connects to an included NMEA2000 T- connector. I had to cut the connectors off both, but used a waterproof connector box instead of the field-installed NMEA2000 connectors which I find impossible to install properly.

Everything works fine. AWA and AWS are there, TWS and TWA come from somewhere probably the Evolution EV-1 9-axis Heading Sensor.

Here are the exact technical specifications from B&G Installation Manual. (Note that there is ONLY one NEMA0183 sentence sent):

WS310
Weight 0.30 kg (0.66 lbs)
Cable length options 20, 35, 50 & 80 meters (66, 115, 164 & 262 ft)
Waterproof IPx6 & IPx7
Operating temperature -25°C to 65°C
Power usage 15 mA at 12 V DC
Wind speed resolution 0.05 m/sec (0.1 Knots)
Wind speed accuracy +/- 0.1 m/sec (0.2 kt) from 1 - 40 m/sec (2 - 80 kt)
Wind speed range 0.25 - 50 m/sec (0.5 - 97 knots)
Wind angle resolution 0.1°
Wind angle accuracy +/- 0.5°
Data output NMEA0183 ‘MWV,R’ sentence at 10Hz
NMEA0183 Sentence explanation:
MWV,R - Wind Speed and Angle, Relative

or more detailed:

MWV Wind Speed and Angle 1 2 3 4 5 | | | | | $--MWV,x.x,a,x.x,a*hh
1) Wind Angle, 0 to 360 degrees
2) Reference, R = Relative, T = True
3) Wind Speed
4) Wind Speed Units, K/M/N
5) Status, A = Data Valid
6) Checksum
jabaraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 22:58   #24

Ws310 B&G wired sensor sends nmea183 from the top of the mast to a gateway on the end of the wire that pass nmea2000 to the network. Your Raymarine have to talk nmea or you will need a second gateway to translate to seatalk.
flavioab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 23:16   #25

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter

Quote:

Will a B&G wind sensor work with this system?

- z
Picking up an old thread here, but I'm looking at doing this - B&G WS310 with an Raymarine Axiom MFD - I just can't verify 100% it will work. Did you end up going this route?
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:26   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Picking up an old thread here, but I'm looking at doing this - B&G WS310 with an Raymarine Axiom MFD - I just can't verify 100% it will work. Did you end up going this route?
Wish it could work, as I have an older WS310 at the masthead as well as the B&G display device at the cockpit (as well as B&G depth and speed sensors and displays). Have two new Raymarine Axioms and it would be great to see the wind and depth displays on the MFDs (both are wired to a NMEA 2000 backbone). Guess there is a need for a gateway between the B&G 0183 to the 2000, but to be honest, I was too busy (or more like lazy) to dive into this mess.

Guess some experts here could answer...

Thanks
Old 18-10-2021, 15:23   #27

The last time I looked at this issue for someone, a couple years ago, the B&G masthead unit put out a single NMEA 0183 sentence. The package included an inline converter that was to be located at the bottom of the mast to connect to the N2K network.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:38   #28

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

I have an interest in the answer. BUT my guess is that even if the NMEA 2000 protocol matches between vendors, each vendor has a different software to apply the NMEA 2000 data to display on their devices. Like others have said, has anyone actually used a B&G mast head wind device on a Raymarine device or visversa? Think Maretron depth transducers are different.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 16:00   #29

Boat: Moody 34

Another question, does the Raymarine EV-200 work with the B&G Wind Instruments?
I have a new Raymarine EV-200 with the linear encoder and want to bring the wind data from my old Advansea 400 which output´s NMEA0183 VPW, MWV, VWR 4800Baud, 1 Hz refresh.
Translation to N2K no problem, Use for translation a ESP32 (code is working with MFD).
Raymarine´s Wind, log and depth are translated via the ITC-5 interface into N2K.
Even Raymarine has not direct N2K.
Do you know the refresh rate of the ITC-5 on the N2K Bus?
I´m afraid if the refresh rate is too slow, that the autopilot might not steer with the wind angle info. Raymarine tries to force us all to buy their complete suite of instruments, if it all should work together.
All my instruments are working. I almost regret, that I bought the EV-200....now I´m caught by Raymarine.
baltic sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 14:03   #30

Hi.
Just trying to bring up the original question again, since I am in the same situation. I just bought new raymarine equipment (chartplotters axiom and instruments i50/i60).

I changed the wind vane last year (B&G 608 with simnet) and hoping to not replace it again. And therefore I am looking for the answer for the same question as #1.

Can I connect the 506 throught simnet-seatalkng to the i60 / raymarine?
smith_morten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine, wind