Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 21:53   #16

Re: B&G Wind Instrument problem

the drawing looks fine. your comment about the 2 helms being separate is not true. the 2 helms are on the same simnet backbone and the "hull" stuff is on the 2nd. just an FYI.

but that is not your issue.

couple things to consider.

make sure there is no terminator in that lower right had simnet block. where the note is saying don't have one if wind speed is installed. otherwise you'll have 3 of them on that backbone.

as mentinted above, you can measure the resistance of the network with the power off. it should be 60ohm if you have 2 terminators. this doesn't prove they are in the correct place, but confirms you have 2.

the hydra will likely have some control of the wind sensor. when working, in the data source list, you'd likly have the option of choosing the wind speed sensor direct for data, or wind data from the hydra. which will be a calibrated / dampered etc value that the hydra computer is effecting. you should have 2 choices there I'm pretty sure.

but you don't even see if in the device list. which you should. even if the hydra system as a whole was not working and giving you wind data. you should see all devices. So i'm betting it's an issue with at the end of the backbone or the wind sensor or cable. I would try moving it somewhere else to a different block. moving that terminator somewhere else isn't great for will be fine for testing. even having 1 or 3 terminators, stuff will generally work and device list should populate. so you could even try moving it to a helm station simnet block to check the device list.

ideally you'd have the maretron n2k analyzer program and a PC gateway. the installers should have one to trouble shoot n2k issues. and see if it comes up on that device list. I use this a lot.
https://www.maretron.com/products/N2KAnalyzer.php

you should also have the hydra software, and connect to it yourself. it's been a couple years since I did this on one boat. I'm pretty sure it had an n2k masthead and paddle wheel as well on a hydra. the older versions had direct analog transducers.

I've done lots of n2k / simnet stuff. but only one hydra. like I said it will cause a few weird things and take control of other sensors. and it does need to be setup / programmed with a computer. I'd try disconnecting the hydra box and see if the masthead comes up in the device list.

everything should work fine without the hydra box. it just allows you to calibrate the sensors better.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:04   #17

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

I'd simplify the network to eliminate any conflicts from other devices/cables.
- disconnect the stbd from port (2 cables)
- disconnect NAIS-400
- disconnect RI10
- disconnect RS35

Then, re-connect all the connections that are left. I found one joiner-to-joiner cable was cocked sideways a bit by cable strain, and it wasn't making electrical connection.

Then test with the port pod Zeus, check Devices list, check network errors and load.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:24   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
We have similar system 2 Zeus’s 2 chartplotters 4 g radar vhf radio with ais forward sonar scan all B& G never had any problem once system was installed correctly and I mean correctly you need someone who knows B&G products and no they arnt simple plug and play like a lot of installers presume
thusyou spent more in electronics than in grp and mast
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:34   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

B&G
Handsome interface, of difficult and laborious set up.

My masthead is currently out of work, and we (with dealer and technicians) got mad in having Zeus touch T7 reading the Navionics flash memory...

It was from 2014 Mexico, the masthead... A faulty lot!?
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 23:54   #20

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
This is a very simple response, but I had a problem with my B&G system about two years ago. It consists of a Zeus 9", three Tritons, a combo speed transducer, autopilot, and wind sensor. All NMEA 2000.

I came to the boat and the entire system would not work, except as I recall for the chartplotter. Everything else was dark or inaccessible on the network.

In my troubleshooting, I disconnected the network cable going to the transducers and the masthead. Everything else came to life. More troubleshooting indicated that it was the masthead which had an electrical problem that was essentially a short, and the problem was known to B&G. They swapped out the masthead and everything was fine thereafter.

I was surprised by one other issue: the network cable didn't seem to HAVE to be terminated because the problem went away on the network by simply disconnecting the defective sensors, with no termination. So, diagnosing the problem on the N2K network is pretty simple.

Cheers,

Chuck
I've had exactly the same experience, except wind sensor was a PB200.
Ultrasonic Wind Options and Questions - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Post# 26 on. My login- "Pukka"
Airmar basically said to buy a new cable ($300)
I never approached Navico as I figured it wasn;t their problem.

So, i remolded a plug and fixed the short and its worked fine ever since.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:38   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO 449

Following -
Andalusian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wind