Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 11:37   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
B&G Wifi GoFree, remote control autopilot via Ipad and Apps with NMEA2000 data

Hi all,
got my new used boat which has B&G electronic with Zeus2 chartplotter.
Got the wifi1 GO Free but not installed yet.
Beside mirroring the Zeus2 chartplotter I would like to

a) get the NMEA2000 data to display all the typical sailing data on Ipads (eg wind speed...) in parallel to the chartplotter being on a different screen eg radar. Have 3 "old" Ipads I want to use and install "permanently" instead of adding additional B&G Triton Displays. Can I do this with Wifi1 GoFree module and if yes which apps works with that? Or do I need something like the YachtDevices NMEA2000 wifi modul for this?

b) is there a way to remotly control the autopilot which is controlled via B&G chartplotter via the Ipad? Instruction say the wifi1 cannot do that due to security. Sure they wanna sell their Navico WG10 remote controls and autopilot display. Like to be able to alter autopilot while single handed sailing and cooking in the galley or to be in bed while crew on watch and alter autopilot without getting up or screaming through the boat to do it. or chilling in the hammok mounted on the missen boom while underway and alter autopilot via Ipad mini which I use for reading books too.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 16:25   #2

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47
Re: B&G Wifi GoFree, remote control autopilot via Ipad and Apps with NMEA2000 data

AFAIK there's no way to control the AutoPilot using Link, or via SignalK. It's their idea of safe boating. I have a similar setup, Zeus2, Tritons, GoFree, Ipad and Android phones running B&G's Link app.

I've not tried to run Link on two devices simultaneously. If both devices tried to send keypresses at the same time, not sure who would win.

Since Link is a screen duplication app, it doesn't allow any difference between the chartplotter and the client app.

For that, you'll need something that can view an NMEA-0183 stream or a SignalK stream. I also have the iKommunicate SignalK gateway, so I can view wind data with that, or NMEA-0183 independently of the chartplotter.

I haven't found any really good apps for wind data. I do integrate with OpenCPN on my PC, and AquaMaps on my iPad.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 02:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seawind 1600 52'
Re: B&G Wifi GoFree, remote control autopilot via Ipad and Apps with NMEA2000 data

Hope someone can answer this as I am sure things have changed a lot in this area over the past two years.

Can you go with an Ipad or similar to use to control all your nav without a chart plotter, or is it simply a repeater?

It is a new system in my new boat and what something that easily updated. Suggestion or links for info would is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Captain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 03:00   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
Hope someone can answer this as I am sure things have changed a lot in this area over the past two years.

Can you go with an Ipad or similar to use to control all your nav without a chart plotter, or is it simply a repeater?

It is a new system in my new boat and what something that easily updated. Suggestion or links for info would is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
In case of B&G ipad is only a limited repeater, you cannot remote steer the autopilot. Worst ipad integration on market.... Raymarine at least have a full remote control via the ray control app.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, nmea, wifi, remote, Ipad