Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04   #61

Re: B&G (Simrad) 4G Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I rarely have had luck (truth be told, never had luck) with installation without pulling the stick. Mast wiring which terminates at the deck has a step with a very small hole and there's always something in the way. But the most important consideration is this: You are about to spend a large amount of money. Get the biggest bang for your buck by pulling the stick, assessing ALL of the electrical wiring descending (steaming light, spreader lights, vhf antenna, and all the other stuff that could be installed and make life better), checking out all the hardware that could go bad later on (masthead sheaves seizing, compression bolts at the spreaders failing, vhf antennas dying, standing rigging that has exceeded its due date, etc.).

Here are a couple pics showing the narrow opening often available, One is a Catalina 32 (it had a knot in the wiring, preventing entry), the second a Cape Dory with a lot of mast wiring. In bigger boats your mast step may offer larger openings, but I have found it unlikely. In keel stepped masts you may have to make a larger exit hole, and drilling in bilges isn't easy. Pull the stick. It will take less time overall and lead to a much more professional and comprehensive solution.
Roy...he's keel stepped. Always good advice to pull and assess everything though.
If you can mount the bracket aloft... worth a shot to drop the cable down though. Still havent heard how big an opening he has....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:58   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: B&G (Simrad) 4G Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
I have my G4 about twenty feet up on a 38 ft boat. Works great. I can see my mooring bouy off the bow.
tsk, me too… don't even need my radar for that
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, simrad