Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 03:53   #16

Re: B&G nmea 2000 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Except that Navico have many nac3 based pilots out there, most work fine. If it were a bug, everyone with this config would have the same error. They don’t. If it were my customer, I’d try a replacement nac3 next.

Replacing the Nac3 is probably the only available next step.

Re bugs, there is no doubt that the more product you have in service, the more frequently bugs will be encountered. But by their very nature, it's some infrequent or unlikely set of events that creates the problem - otherwise it would have shown up in normal testing and been fixed. Consider Navico's MARPA problem which was in the product for years before I finally convinced them it was broken. And I could on-command lock up an AC24 and make it unusable even after a power cycle. And by all measures, the AC24 was a mature product.
Old 27-12-2018, 04:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Except that Navico have many nac3 based pilots out there, most work fine. If it were a bug, everyone with this config would have the same error. They don’t. If it were my customer, I’d try a replacement nac3 next.
Thanks Matt,

I fully agreed with you, next week a Navico technician is coming onboard. Explaining the problem, he agrees that it looks like the problem comes from the NAC itself.
The fact that the NAC works better, the failure appears later, after a full reset, ring him a bell that it might be something with an internal memory of the NAC, at least is what I understood.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!
Eureka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 04:49   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

I've had similar issues with my N2K B&G system. Worked fine when it was just wind/depth/speed instruments. Added NAC3 and a Zeus MFD and it has been occasionally wonky since. I have the AP, MFD, and bus power on separate breakers. Sometimes I have to toggle the bus power to get the others to find it. Other times the AP randomly takes a dump with the error message you mention. Looking at network diagnostics on the MFD does not indicate any network issues.

Take this with a grain of salt but I have heard from multiple source in the industry that Navico's N2K protocol implementation, from a code perspective, is just plain sloppy and prone to errors. That matches my experience given the seemingly random pattern to issues.
Old 27-12-2018, 06:28   #19

Thanks,

Will tell you what Navico Technitian diagnostic is, when next week will come onboard.
Old 27-12-2018, 08:49   #20

Boat: Catalina 36

Make sure the LEN (power draw) is balanced on both sides of the 12v insertion point. You might have occasional low power if you are severely unbalanced.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:58   #21

I had a similar problem this summer. The system suddenly quit working and it said that the AP was not working. After talking with the bandg techs, I started to unplug components from the NMEA line. When I unplugged the wind vane, I plugged in a terminator and everything came up, except of course the wind vane. The wind vane had gone bad and shut everything down. It might have had to do with the termination on the windvane. Bandg gave us a discount on a new windvane since it wasn't that old. I don't remember how I happened to have a spare termination on the boat but it sure came in handy out in Lake Superior.
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 20:19   #22

Thanks for all your thoughts, will see next week with the Navico people onboard, what’s the conclusion.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:40   #23

Hi,

Navico technitian came onboard today, fourtunatly the problem arises when he was onboard.

My installation is so that from the autopilot switch goes to a relay that activates the NAC.

Guilty...A €7 relay. When the failure arises, the voltage at the Nac was 2,8v, while on the nmea network remain 12,3. Just moving the relay, the nac becames alive again...

So conclusión, either the relay connectors were damaged or the relay itself.

The technitian has not any relay with him, simply press the connectors, and ...looks like the problem is solved.

I will replace relay and terminals in the coming days.

Best regards.
Old 31-08-2019, 10:20   #24

Has there been any resolution to this problem?
hbcsailors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
B&G, NAC3, nmea, nmea 2000