Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2021, 10:54   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
B&G Network Pilot - Oscillating Rudder

Hi folks,

When I turn my Pilot on (ie: go from stand-by to "auto" in compass mode) the pilot immediately starts to drive the rudder back and forth from about 10 or 15 degrees starboard, and then to port and back and forth. It's constant, and quick. To this point, I haven't had the nerve to leave it doing this for more than 30 or 40 seconds before returning to stand-by.

SOME DETAILS:

I have an aged but (formerly) very reliable B&G Network Pilot autohelm. My setup includes a hydraulic ram - the same one driven by the helm. There is no play in any of the mechanics, and she's responding nicely to the helm. I have 2 angle sensors on the rudder - an old mechanical one that predates Moses and just works, and the electronic one that feeds into the pilot. The two displays agree. The electronic compass also agrees with the binnacle.

I just put the boat back in the water after an extended haul during covid, and in the process when I was messing with things, there is a CHANCE that I messed up a setting as I was tinkering, but I'm not certain. Anyhow, whether I caused the problem or not, I have gone through all of the settings and commissioning settings using the commissioning manual, and my untrained eye has not found anything too unusual.

Does anyone have any wisdom in the lost art of Network Pilot behaviour?
mikejdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder, work