Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 09:16   #1

B&G Analogue Wind Instrument Signal

I shot these nice B&G analogue wind indicators on ebay.

Can anybody tell me what signal they require? 0-10 V? 4-20 mA? PWM-signal? Something completely different?

Originally they are supposed to be connected to a central processing unit (Hydra, H2000). But I don’t want this processing unit. I don’t require a tru wind indication. Apparent wind speed and direction are just fine and there a some speed and direction indicators on the market which provide ordinary signals (0-10 V / 4-20 mA / PWM).

All three instruments look the same from behind.

Why „Common“ (3) and „0 Volts“ (4)? I expect this to be the same on a boat.

What does „SIN“ (2) and „COS“ (1) stand for?

The large slotted screw in the center is for the light bulb, right?

Cheers,
Gerd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F566C44-72BB-40C1-85B2-E1E6E5A9C53C.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	238732   Click image for larger version

Name:	047CE73A-41D9-488F-9B0E-AD3A7319252E.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	238733  

Old 19-05-2021, 10:21   #2

Re: B&G Analogue Wind Instrument Signal

Hi Gerd

These require a sine, cosign signal from the wind instrument, basically angular, analogue signals from the wind instrument. Each manufacturer is different and you would have top design an interface board. Lots of work so I suggest you wait for another deal

Regards

Charles
Old 19-05-2021, 12:53   #3

Thanks Charles,
I looked it up in Wikipedia. Quite intresting. I assume the direction indicator works the same way like the wind vane. Only the other way around.
Would be difficult indeed to emulate.

But what about the speed indicator? This should be straight forward?

Cheers,
Gerd
Old 20-05-2021, 05:41   #4

I found a picture which demonstrates the (assumed!) processing of the wind direction signal nicely. Other angular pick ups (ruder angle, remote indicator of electronic compass etc.) might use this principle as well.

In the picture the wind vane is represented by the turning knob.

Keywords are „resolver“ and „synchro“.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kisspng-synchro-resolver-electric-motor-rotor-rotary-varia-synchro-5b4937d771da92.61520323153152.png
Views:	81
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	238779  
Old 20-05-2021, 08:31   #5

Boat: S2 35C

If you hook your Wind leads to a Raymarine ITC-5 (about $250), an analog to digital converter for wind, depth and speed, it will convert the analog to NMEA2000 digital info. Which can be read by an MFD or freestanding digital display. Same with depth and speed.
Old 22-05-2021, 04:26   #6

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

Those B&G display are internally the same with different scale label. Sine cosine voltage driven accordingly to the scale by the CPU. Why have 2 different mechanism when they can all be the same. I had the Hornet 4 originally on my boat. Hydra and H2000 where fancyer CPU. Hornet 4 also had a digital output to drive digital display, probably the base of B&G Fastnet protocol. The wind instrument, 213 MHU is still available today for the H5000. the 213 MHU output is a 3 phase voltage at 120° of each other in relation to the wind direction. Water speed input, simple pulse transducer, enable the CPU to calculate true wind data.
Old 16-09-2023, 08:18   #7

I know this is an old thread, but in case others feel as I do that these old analogue gauges are both nicer to look at and quicker to read than the modern LCD equivalents I think it should be relatively easy to generate the sine/cosine voltages required by the wind direction instrument with a DAC (digital to analogue converter) chip and a small MCU (microcontroller unit) such as a Microchip PIC or Atmel (a.k.a. Arduino). The MCU could accept NMEA 0183 messages over its serial port and convert the wind direction data (e.g. $WIMWD) to the corresponding sin/cos voltages. Similarly, it should be easy to generate pulses for the wind speed instrument from the same MCU. You would need an NMEA 0183 data source of course, such as an Autonnic wind sensor, and basic programming skills.

Edit: Found a company called Tinley Electronics who produce exactly this type of hardware, specifically for old B&G gauges: https://www.tinleyelectronics.com Rather pricey, but saves having to build your own.
Old 16-09-2023, 10:03   #8

Boat: Norseman 447

I seem to remember years ago looking at an pair of ICs that took in a digital value and output a sine and cosine signal, and Vice versa. But I can’t remember where I saw them. Search for digital to synchro converters. There’s a bunch.
Old 16-09-2023, 11:48   #9

I've seen chips that can convert quadrature sin/cos voltages to data, such as Analog Devices' AD2S90 and there used to be many air-core motor drivers which go in the opposite direction, from data to sin/cos voltages, for example On Semi CS4192. The latter type would be quite useful for anyone who wants to drive an old air-core motor instrument, but sadly they all seem to have been discontinued long ago. But it's pretty straightforward to generate the required voltages from an MCU and a dual channel ADC.
Old 16-09-2023, 15:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
and a dual channel ADC.

Apologies, I meant DAC of course.
Closed Thread

Tags
men, rum, wind