Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 06:44   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
B&G AIS target - my own boat

I have a full suite of B&G electronics including a Zeus 12 and a Zeus 8 MFD (not the Zeus II models). I also have their AIS-300 installed. It all works fine and always has. One annoyance is that an AIS target for my own boat is always on my screens, basically covering up the expected boat icon for my position. I have entered in my MMSI number across my systems so I'd think the MFD would be smart enough to know that target is me, and shouldn't be displayed.

This is actually more than annoying on my radar screen (4G) where my own boat shows as a vessel in a danger zone, so I can't set any guard zones as the alarm immediately goes off saying I'm about to collide with myself!

As an interesting side note my dedicated AIS GPS antenna and my regular nav GPS antenna are about 15 feet apart from each other, so my AIS system usually says the dangerous boat (me) is +/- 15 feet away.

This doesn't make sense but I can't figure out what I may have configured incorrectly to make this go away. I also have a vague memory that it didn't used to be this way so perhaps some upgrade I did to my Zeus's changed the feature, or messed up my configs.

How does this work for other people with these products? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:44   #2

Re: B&G AIS target - my own boat

There's a setting in one of the Zeus screens (don't remember which one) that allows you to enter the MMSI for your boat. Once you enter that number, it won't show up as a target.
sflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:10   #3

I thought that may be the case and have set the MMSI number in the Zeus, but still have the issue. I must be missing exactly the right setting. Can't seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-08-2015, 00:35   #4

Boat: Luffe 45

I had the same problem with Raymarine - finally I figured out that the problem was the AIS Splitter - check if he is working proper .....I don't think its related to B&G....

Lifgun
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 04:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sflier.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 04:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifgun View Post
I had the same problem with Raymarine - finally I figured out that the problem was the AIS Splitter - check if he is working proper .....I don't think its related to B&G....

Lifgun
By AIS splitter do you mean for that antenna? I don't have one of those as I have a dedicated AIS antenna.
Old 23-08-2015, 05:10   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Is the AIS-300 the only AIS input into the chart plotter?

We had a VHF/DSC/AIS also going into our chart plotter along with our AIS transponder and I had to turn off the AIS part of the VHF feed to keep from seeing our own vessel (keeping the DSC component).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 05:31   #8

Yes, the AIS-300 is my only AIS data source. You have me thinking, however, if one or both of the Zues's is repeating the signal back onto the network and then causing a similar problem to yours. I'm not on the boat right now but will keep this idea in mind to test if nothing else comes up.
Old 23-08-2015, 10:57   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I have a full suite of B&G electronics including a Zeus 12 and a Zeus 8 MFD (not the Zeus II models). I also have their AIS-300 installed. It all works fine and always has. One annoyance is that an AIS target for my own boat is always on my screens, basically covering up the expected boat icon for my position. I have entered in my MMSI number across my systems so I'd think the MFD would be smart enough to know that target is me, and shouldn't be displayed.

This is actually more than annoying on my radar screen (4G) where my own boat shows as a vessel in a danger zone, so I can't set any guard zones as the alarm immediately goes off saying I'm about to collide with myself!

As an interesting side note my dedicated AIS GPS antenna and my regular nav GPS antenna are about 15 feet apart from each other, so my AIS system usually says the dangerous boat (me) is +/- 15 feet away.

This doesn't make sense but I can't figure out what I may have configured incorrectly to make this go away. I also have a vague memory that it didn't used to be this way so perhaps some upgrade I did to my Zeus's changed the feature, or messed up my configs.

How does this work for other people with these products? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

JR
Hi JR,

On our Zeus Touch 8, the vessel's MMSI number is entered on the Settings/Vessels Page.

It works as expected [i.e., we don't see our own vessel on AIS] with either of 2 AIS input sources we have on the network [Vesper Watchman 850 and B&G V50 VHF with AIS rx.]

If I were having the same issue, I would double-check I entered the same MMSI [and hopefully correct one as well... ] which I suspect you have already done...

If you need more specifics about software version [most current offered last we checked...] etc. please let me know.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 29-08-2015, 11:56   #10

Solved.

I need new glasses.

It turns out I had the wrong MMSI number in one MFD (I had transposed two digits ). Once corrected all works fine.

Dumb me!

JR

Tags
ais