Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 09:37   #1

B&G 4g Radar Issue

We just finished an overnight passage we're the radar worked flawlessly (it's connected to a Zeus 2).

We just started it and it came on and worked for about 5 minutes than stopped showing targets. It displayed a few speckles and still rotated with our heading but wouldn't display land or boats around us.

It we put it into and out of standby it will work for a little while then do the same thing.

We've rebooted a few times but still.

Any ideas on what we should look at?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 04:22   #2

Re: B&G 4g Radar Issue

This is all that is displayed. We've reset to factory settings, power cycled, and tried adjusting settings. Best we can get is a few minutes of it working correctly after putting it standby and then transmit repeatedly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190828_070700.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	198738  
Old 28-08-2019, 04:36   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

That’s what my old furuno 1621 looked like when the magnetron died. Although this being a solid state dome, has no magnetron.

My best guess is that it’s no longer transmitting.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 08:03   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Do you activate any power save settings? You can make the radar to transmit for a few minutes and then sleep for a time, then transmit again.
Old 28-08-2019, 10:04   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We have the same set-up [B&G 4G RADAR and Zeus2 MFDs.]

Our RADAR seemingly stopped working once a couple of years back. It turned out that the RADAR ethernet cable [yellow twist-on caps] was routed through the GoFree Wifi1 device to the MFD, and the GoFree suddenly decided not to pass through the ethernet traffic. Bypassing that device [i.e., going direct from the RADAR black box to the MFD] solved the issue. [As did a new WiFi1 replaced under warranty...]

The lesson learned was to also check/ experiment with the ethernet cabling and routing.

In case this is helpful, and good luck resolving the issue.

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-08-2019, 10:38   #6

I've searched the boat and can't find where the radar wires go. Under the nav station are the sonar hub, wifi module, AIS, AIS antenna splitter, and a couple nmea hubs. Haven't really figured out how to get behind the helm to look.

I just spoke with the local B&G service tech and he said he has been replacing units of this vintage 2017 very frequently under warranty. Apparently they are known to get water inside the dome.

He took the serial number down and said he'll start the process.
Old 28-08-2019, 14:44   #7

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Try a hard re-boot by disconnecting the 12v power to the unit for a minute or so. This is different from simply turning the unit off with the Pwr button and can cause a complete reset of all hardware and software.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 14:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Try a hard re-boot by disconnecting the 12v power to the unit for a minute or so. This is different from simply turning the unit off with the Pwr button and can cause a complete reset of all hardware and software.
I have a switch on our 12v panel for nav equipment that seems to remove power from everything except AIS. That should be the same, right?
Old 28-08-2019, 15:03   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If that switch controls 12v power to the radar then turning it off for a minute or so then back on should cause a hard re-boot. Might want to verify that it does interrupt 12v to the radar. To do this, turn the radar on and get a radar display. Turn off the switch and see if the unit immediately goes dark. If so, then the switch is cutting the 12v power to the unit.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 16:41   #10

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I just spoke with the local B&G service tech and he said he has been replacing units of this vintage 2017 very frequently under warranty. Apparently they are known to get water inside the dome.

He took the serial number down and said he'll start the process.
That is disappointing. I have the same set. No problem yet. Wonder how water gets in?
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 16:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
That is disappointing. I have the same set. No problem yet. Wonder how water gets in?
I'm not sure but mine went from working great for hours on a passage to this in a blink.
Old 23-07-2021, 15:22   #12

Boat: Corsair 360p

OLD thread but I'm having this issue and this is the only reference to this particular issue I can find.
I'm wondering what the resolution was.
Sandycraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 17:03   #13

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

I would like to know what B&G did as well. Mine is still working but I noticed some yellow greasy oil stain on my transom just below the dome a few weeks ago. This thread came to mind. I was concerned it had filled with water and leaked out somewhere taking some oil from some moving part with it.....don't even know if there is an arm in there that rotates? In any event, mine still works.

Did a 5 day passage in late May and it performed all night, every night. knock on wood!
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 06:22   #14

I don't have any oily stuff. I don't run the radar every time we're out just in weather or night sailing etc. It was working fine then next time nothing. Just like the picture above, just interference. If I take all discrimination away I can see the sweep in all the clutter, fast and slow so it seems to be function to some degree. I'll be trying it connected direct to MFD and if that doesn't change anything it's up the mast to remove the dome...
Old 24-07-2021, 06:26   #15

crayiii got back to me in PM. The problem was water in the dome.

Tags
radar