Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2020, 10:49   #1

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Aviation headset with M802?

Any pilots out there that use their headsets with the M802 or similar SSB?

I have a set of David Clark H20-10's with the standard GA dual plug setup. I'd like to be able to use this with my M802. It's a nice headset and would be great for blocking out engine noise or to keep my wife from getting annoyed when tuning weather fax.

Seems like an adapter that would interface with the hand mic outlet would not bee too complicated. I'm sure I could build one myself but it seems like something someone somewhere would be selling. I haven't seen mention of this type of interface anywhere.

Has anyone done this, interface a general aviation headset with an M802?
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 14:01   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Aviation headset with M802?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post

Seems like an adapter that would interface with the hand mic outlet would not bee too complicated. I'm sure I could build one myself but it seems like something someone somewhere would be selling. I haven't seen mention of this type of interface anywhere.
I haven't seen such an adapter for sale but then again I haven't really looked.

You may already know the following but if not, you will have to accommodate the voltage differences between the aviation mic and the 802 mic requirements.

The aviation mic needs a DC bias voltage of around 8 VDC and outputs an audio level of about 2 VAC.

I have forgotten what the 802 needs (and the manual is not close by) but likely it only needs an audio level 40 mV AC.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 15:20   #3

Boat: Riva 48

It is not a good idea. Much better is to use the audio that you already have. If you are connecting via a PC/laptop, then there is a function in the settings where you can say listen to incoming audio on the speaker or any bluetooth headphone that you may have connected. Lighter, better audio, cheaper, you can have noise cancellation if you want to.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
It is not a good idea. Much better is to use the audio that you already have. If you are connecting via a PC/laptop, then there is a function in the settings where you can say listen to incoming audio on the speaker or any bluetooth headphone that you may have connected. Lighter, better audio, cheaper, you can have noise cancellation if you want to.

SV Pizzazz

Why is it not a good idea, in general? The audio I have now is just the speaker that comes with the M802. I already have the DC aviation headset, so that cost is already sunk.

You're right in that I could certainly listen through the PC and I might end up doing that. I don't have a PC headset though. For that I would have to buy something. I already have the DC headset, so that costs me nothing, and it's a very high quality headset. If an adapter is more expensive then a PC based headset, then you're right, it would be cheaper to just go through the PC. But until I know of an adapter and its price, we can't really say which is more expensive, hence the question.

If you already have a good headset, I can't see why it's a bad idea. Aviation headsets are made to be worn comfortably for a good while, in a noisy environment (inside a small aircraft is very loud), and be able to listen and talk on the radio. It's a similar situation on the boat with the engine running, but not nearly as loud as an aircraft. So basically what I'm wondering is how others have tackled this problem, if it is possible.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 31-01-2020, 15:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I haven't seen such an adapter for sale but then again I haven't really looked.

You may already know the following but if not, you will have to accommodate the voltage differences between the aviation mic and the 802 mic requirements.

The aviation mic needs a DC bias voltage of around 8 VDC and outputs an audio level of about 2 VAC.

I have forgotten what the 802 needs (and the manual is not close by) but likely it only needs an audio level 40 mV AC.
That is interesting. Voltage differences would definitely complicate any home-built adapter. Certainly not something I would want to tackle in the near term. I was hoping someone knew of a off the shelf adapter available commercially. It seems like it would be out there, I mean, the Ham radio, boating, and aviation worlds have quite a few folks that are involved in all three. Where those three Venn circles overlap, there's a market for this kind of thing, one would think. I haven't been able to find it either though.

Thanks for the heads up on the voltages.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 31-01-2020, 16:04   #6

I have used an aviation style headset on SSB decades ago and I do think it is a good idea - at least on the phones side of things. The mic side - not so much.

Aviation mic are designed for high noise environments (as are the phones of course) but the marine environment is not high noise so the noise cancelling mic attributes are not ready needed. They aren't detrimental though!

If the 802 accepts normal commercial radio mic levels as from a normal commercial dynamic mic then another option is simply to replace the electret GA mic in the H20-10 with a military mic as the military mics are compatible with most commercial radios.

The mic replacement is a simple process.

If time permits, I will have a look at the numbers later on today.

EDIT the David Clark website will show the various different mics.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 31-01-2020, 16:10   #7

A small primer on headset microphones
https://www.mobileone.com.au/electro.../mic_main.html
Old 31-01-2020, 16:11   #8

This comes up on the ham forums every so often. A search for "aviation headset ham radio adapter" will pop up some circuits.

You also might look for the telephone handset Icom sells or used to sell. BTW, my David Clarks have brass plugs that get corroded and need Brass-O every so often. Probably happen faster if I had them on the boat.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 16:19   #9

More info here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...02-219177.html
Old 31-01-2020, 16:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
BTW, my David Clarks have brass plugs that get corroded and need Brass-O every so often. Probably happen faster if I had them on the boat.
Haha, I have cleaned more brass headset plugs than I have had hot dinners!

Pilots would come into the shop wanting their headset repaired - it has getting worse and worse and it's now unusable..

Break out the Brass-O and clean it in 30 seconds in front of their eyes and pop it on the headset tester and say "try it now".

Every reaction was different but all were embarrassed - I mean, pilot's should know this stuff!
Old 31-01-2020, 19:35   #11

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on the voltages.
There are plenty of CF members who know more about the 802 than me so hopefully one of them will come along and confirm (or otherwise) the following.

The 802 needs a mic audio level of about 50 to 100 mV AC with no DC bias.

Military aviation headsets usually have this style of mic so swapping out the civil aviation headset mic for the military aviation mic should work.

Of course there is still the PTT (mic key) aspect to resolve but that is straightforward (IMO).
Old 01-02-2020, 08:53   #12

Not related, how do I post a new topic,,,
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:01   #13

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

You need. To have the impedance in ohms to match. Specs are different for Aviation vs Commercial Radio.

Cheapest is to but a PC wired headset. Solving you problem as presented will just frustrate you.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There are plenty of CF members who know more about the 802 than me so hopefully one of them will come along and confirm (or otherwise) the following.

The 802 needs a mic audio level of about 50 to 100 mV AC with no DC bias.

Military aviation headsets usually have this style of mic so swapping out the civil aviation headset mic for the military aviation mic should work.

Of course there is still the PTT (mic key) aspect to resolve but that is straightforward (IMO).
Yeah, it certainly looks like the general aviation mic is what keeps an adapter from being a simple passive item. The GA mic needs a current source and it doesn't look like the 802 plug provides that. It would certainly be possible to build my own adapter, might be a sort of fun project. One of Coquina's links showed someone who built a project box circuit that would work. I just don't have the bandwidth to attack that right now. It's a shame really. I was hoping that this was a problem that was solved commercially.
Downeaster 38 #40
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43   #15

Quote:
Yeah, it certainly looks like the general aviation mic is what keeps an adapter from being a simple passive item. The GA mic needs a current source and it doesn't look like the 802 plug provides that. It would certainly be possible to build my own adapter, might be a sort of fun project. One of Coquina's links showed someone who built a project box circuit that would work. I just don't have the bandwidth to attack that right now. It's a shame really. I was hoping that this was a problem that was solved commercially.
It sort of is, unless you are determined to use airplane headsets. Aircraft were originally designed to use the literal same stuff as an ancient telephone handset from the 1930s with a carbon mic that needed DC current through it to work. I think we are closing in on 100 years of that standard about now.
You can plug just about any headset into your radio and just use the mic it came with You can get noise cancelling headsets, cheap ones, expensive ones, whatever you like. Or you can Google-Foo some headsets designed for modern non-aviation radios. I would do the former and save time and cash. Actually that is exactly what I do do, I use headphones and the mic the radio came with.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head