Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2020, 14:07   #1

AV multizone control systems

Really struggling to find info on mutlizone systems that you can control from anywhere in the boat (without Internet!)

Something like alexa but without voice control.

I want to setup audio (and ideally video) zones through out the boat. 1 for each cabin (4), galley, fore and aft seating areas (2). (7 areas max total). Where each can either be playing separate audio, or they can be synced to play the same audio ie galley + aft deck.
Would ideally like a unified app to be able to control what is playing where.

I somewhat imagine a source unit that is the media source (MP3, Radio, Internet stream), and then individual controllers.

Anyway. I seem stuck on finding something that does this, until i get into MEGA expensive custom systems.

Any help/pointers will be most helpful !
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 21:40   #2

Boat: 49ft custom power catamaran
Re: AV multizone control systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
Really struggling to find info on mutlizone systems that you can control from anywhere in the boat (without Internet!)

Anyway. I seem stuck on finding something that does this, until i get into MEGA expensive custom systems.

Any help/pointers will be most helpful !
I have a unit from Channel Vision that allows me to receive any of 6 different inputs to any of the 6 different zones - audio only. It is now 10-years old and I would think that today there are BlueTooth options that could be easier to install.

Bill Fleenor
Double-Wide
wefleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 23:00   #3

Boat: '71 Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40' & Fiberform 28'

I have done this for audio...

WiFi/Bluetooth receiver/controller
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-597

!2VDC Amplifier
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...iABEgJOH_D_BwE
goguygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post
I have done this for audio...

WiFi/Bluetooth receiver/controller
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-597

!2VDC Amplifier
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...iABEgJOH_D_BwE
AWESOME !

How did those wifi boxes work for you? were you able to control each room independently, or as group(s) ?
Is the source your phone, or can you use a fixed media source (im thinking laptop/NAS, or such) ?
I am also very happy to hard wire to reduce WiFi issues (latency, connectivity, saturation etc).
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 17:08   #5

Boat: '71 Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40' & Fiberform 28'

I've used them in a few different applications, in my boats, motorhome and the Kawasaki Mule on the ranch. I use them in Bluetooth mode because I'm close enough to the devices when in use.

Also I found that when connected to WiFi it provided a backdoor into my home network. There's probably a method to secure them- I disconnected them from my whole house audio and didn't get around to researching that any further.
You need to use their app to group multiple devices together; it's a bit clunky but it does work. There was no way to adjust latency when multiple devices are playing the same material and the echoing was bothersome. But that was in my home with the devices a fair distance from each other. I haven't tried them together in the boat where I am using 3 of them.

Tagged into my Alpine stereo system via Toslink it works nicely, the others via the 3.5mm/RCA adapter to 12vdc amps. The devices are powered with a 12v usb hub.
I access and control via my iPhone, iPad and iPods. Usually play Sirius/XM app, podcasts, Youtube and stored music.
goguygo is offline   Reply With Quote