Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 22:24   #1

Boat: HC 36
Autopilot for Union Polaris 36/HC36

Hey,

I have an autopilot ST6000 installed on my HC36, but I want to install another one for backup of the ST6000.

Which model will be recommend?

Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 31-08-2015, 22:40   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Autopilot for Union Polaris 36/HC36

if your backup replacement scenario is, "remove defective parts, replace with backup parts" - i imagine you're best off just carrying spares of the same exact variety (as in, another ram - same as the working one; another control head; etc). this will assure your replacements are always "drop in" - no adjustment of mounting patter needed. (imagine having to replace the ram with a different arm lenght - you need a whole new platform to accommodate it, and potentially a different tiller attachment point.)

if you are talking about "this failed, so i want to throw a switch and go back to my reserve autopilot" - i am not sure, but would still argue it would be good to have exact duplicates.

people sail with these units (raymarine) for years and years, so i guess they are reliable enough - and in the off chance something fails on you, would be good to just take spares out of sealed (vacuum packed, air and water tight) containers and replace.

anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 22:58   #3

Boat: HC 36

I am talking about two autopilot working on board. The ST6000 will be the main, and other secondary model as backup.

But I want to know if there is other model (not ST6000) recommend for Union Polaris 36/HC36.

Thanks for your answer.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:28   #4

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

People think highly of simrad (ap24 + probably the bigger computer, model 42 as opposed to 12 + the rest; that's the older model, now they have the triton head) and furino. B&G is more money; NKE is even more money.

Is the 6000 is just the control head or the whole thing? We have raymarine S3G computer + 6002 head (plus rudder feedback + standard compass + a b&g drive).

Btw: the electronics and the ram can be mixed and matched (my backup ram now is a lecomble-Schmitt, with a different mounting pattern altogether, so my installation was more complicated), you just have to make sure your computer is strong enough to drive the ram, which should be strong enough for the boat. Manufacturers usually give a displacement or boat length as guidance for autopilot selection; if you are over 16000 lbs loaded you should just use the biggest computer available from the manufacturer (S3G from Ray, AC42 from simrad, high current from B&G, etc). Too big is not a problem, but too little is.

What is your current ram? Hydraulic or mechanical?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot