Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 23:00   #1

Autopilot for Sailing Yachts

Which is the best and cheaper auto pilot for sailing yachts 38-40' length and 8,5 tones ?
christos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 23:30   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I love our raymarine 6002 electric drive

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 23:46   #3

Raymarine costes in Greece about € 3.500 and i thing it is vary expencive
Old 15-06-2010, 00:24   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Since Raymarine is at the cheaper end of autopilots in the US/UK/Germany, I don't know if you are going to get any help for the Greek market here. I have used Raymarine in the past and have never had problems with the systems and would have recommended them as well.
Old 15-06-2010, 00:47   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I STRONGLY RECOMMENDED the 'TILLER PILOT' type of dumb steering. A 600 long block with a peg at each end. One peg is on a ram that extends from the body. When fitted to the tiller (or equivalent) it will do it's best to maintain the set heading.
I recently used one newly fitted to a Catalac, very useful in allowing a good watch to kept while reading, etc without continual minor course corrections. -1,+1,-10,+10 buttons provided the heading adjustments for fine control in cross currents and coarse adjustment lobster pot avoidance. Power consumption is low and there are beeps when course is not being maintained because of low battery or poor sail balance.
UK price is 300ish for the basic model -100, 400ish for the -200. I gather they can be connected to a chartplotter to follow a route but manually transfering the readout from the chartplotter to the tiller pilot was no great hassle, in fact I prefered to have that manual interface so I was aware of cross currents, sail trim changes required and so on which kept me feeling more 'connected' with what went on.
To disengage press the 'STANDBY' button and lift off the pegs. To re-engage fit onto the pegs and press 'AUTO' and check the heading set.
STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for low cost sailors.
Old 15-06-2010, 00:53   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I STRONGLY RECOMMENDED the 'TILLER PILOT' type of dumb steering.
There seems to be several manufacturers. Is there one you've sed you'd recommend?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 01:13   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Not certain, it was bought at the Fox Chandlers in Ipswich. They had a -100 and -200 model. We got the -200 unit which has higher thrust. Not sure you'd need the higher thrust as it's probably time to start hand steering if the auto-pilot is overloaded.
Trimming the sail plan by spilling/reefing will keep the rudders close to a neutral position anyway.
Try the Raymarine site! That's looks right but I wasn't taking notice at the time, I was below cleaning the props! (Crew down below/skipper in the sunshine).
Old 15-06-2010, 01:31   #8

Does anybody knows about GEONAV AP201 Autopilot ?
Old 15-06-2010, 03:59   #9
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I love our raymarine 6002 electric drive

What computer and drive are you using with it? I'm not impressed with the wheel unit on mine 6002 (new belt it too tight to get adjusted) and RM says need a new computer to change to a linear drive (but it looks that Simrad makes a lowered power beloew drive drive that will work).
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 04:35   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What computer and drive are you using with it? .
Don, I need to <<Blush>> a bit here because I haven't yet found out. We have only had the boat 2 years and well, I dunno!
I do not think we have a computer! If we do I'm stuffed if I know where it is.

We seem to just have the fluxgate compass, electric drive, autopilot control and the seatalk wires going into the other raymarine instruments. But no course computer.

I'm thinking the older series (mine must be 9 years old) didnt need the course computer. Could this be right? Or can any set up occur without the computer? Or has Nicolle shoved it where the sun don't shine???????

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:19   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
It's important to note that the "best" auto pilot can differ depending upon the system ,- tiller or wheel,-quadrant or hydraulic, etc. We have a wheel with hydraulic steering. The hydraulic steering can be well operated by a unit designed for a smaller boat as less force is required. We married a 1990 Nexus control head to our 1973 Benmar drive and it's been working well for twenty years. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:45   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Raymarine Control Head or Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Don, I need to <<Blush>> a bit here because I haven't yet found out. We have only had the boat 2 years and well, I dunno!
I do not think we have a computer! If we do I'm stuffed if I know where it is.

We seem to just have the fluxgate compass, electric drive, autopilot control and the seatalk wires going into the other raymarine instruments. But no course computer.

I'm thinking the older series (mine must be 9 years old) didnt need the course computer. Could this be right? Or can any set up occur without the computer? Or has Nicolle shoved it where the sun don't shine???????

Mark
Hi Mark,

Think we've all found something hidden away 5 years after owning a boat! Just nod knowingly saying 'ah ha' when you find it.

If you've a Raymarine unit it will either have a control head (same size display as a ST60 but bigger box at the wheel) and the gubbins is in there. Or you'll have a control box screwed up inside a panel somewhere safe and sound where it is unlikely to get wet.

Good luck in tracking it down and no.

Leave Nicolle out of the search.

JOHN
Old 24-01-2011, 09:10   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 Kits Oat Qua
I have the ComNav Commander P2 autopilot with an 18CI Octopus 12V pump to drive the actiuator. It is quadrant mounted and it works flawlessly. It has Wind mode so the pilot sails on points of sail, set it for a beam reach and it stays on a beam reach. I highly recommend this pilot it is the best kept secret in autopilots in my opinion.
bermuda-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 00:19   #14

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I'm installing a CPT autopilot on our new boat. I have a Raymarine wheelpilot on the Hans and have never been happy with it. But then I only use it under power, use sail trim and rudder offset when sailing, and a helm watch. Maybe they are better with fin/twins.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 06:25   #15

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
we have an old NAVICO WP5000 Wheel Pilot that has done over 100,000 miles and still working like a gooden dont know who makes one like it today though
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot