Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 04:01   #1

Boat: Contest 40
Autopilot Drive Motor

Hi all,
I'm looking for options for a autopilot drive motor for my transmission steering system. There is a drive shaft coming off of the first transmission box which looks like it would be able to accept some sort of motor. I've found that a company called Jefa(DU-TS8-12) makes a motor that would match, but I want to see if there are other options. Attached is a picture of the shaft of the transmission steering system. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_143204.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	192438
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 05:02   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Autopilot Drive Motor

Not positive, but I think these will fit as well.

https://www.p2marine.com/lewmar-whit...topilot-drives
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:15   #3

Interesting, it looks like this replaces the transmission junction if I'm reading the description correctly. Any idea why these are so uncommon?
Old 21-05-2019, 06:35   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Autopilot Drive Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Interesting, it looks like this replaces the transmission junction if I'm reading the description correctly. Any idea why these are so uncommon?

It doesn’t replace the junction, it just bolts to it.

If yours is compatible, it may require the adapter plate that is described to be installed
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 03:49   #5

Resurrecting this thread and looking for some advice.

I've purchased a drive motor that will fit on the end of the shaft. The motor is way heavier than I originally expected it to be, and I'm worried that since the shaft is so long, supporting it from a flange mounted to the bevel box would apply too much torque and may end up bending the shaft.

My idea now is to build a mount that I will tab to the hull with an angle bracket and hold the motor in place, with the only connecting between the bevel box and the motor being the shaft. What do you guys think?
Old 20-06-2019, 04:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Resurrecting this thread and looking for some advice.

I've purchased a drive motor that will fit on the end of the shaft. The motor is way heavier than I originally expected it to be, and I'm worried that since the shaft is so long, supporting it from a flange mounted to the bevel box would apply too much torque and may end up bending the shaft.

My idea now is to build a mount that I will tab to the hull with an angle bracket and hold the motor in place, with the only connecting between the bevel box and the motor being the shaft. What do you guys think?
there should be a gearbox and clutch on the motor before it joins the transmission aprox 30:1 ratio for steering.
mounting the motor and gearbox,just make sure the alignment is correct,it only should be turning slowly when engaged
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 04:43   #7

Hi Atoll,
The motor does indeed have a transmission and clutch included. It is a single piece with specifically made as a component of the autopilot system.

I'm more asking about how to couple the shaft of the steering system with the motor. My two options are

1) Fabricate a bracket which will connect to the bevel box and the motor flange, and will support the motor on the horizontal plane

2) Build and tab a platform to the stringer and hull and mount the motor to the platform, supporting it vertically

Number 2 has the plus of using less expensive material (epoxy, glass and wood with a bit of aluminum) vs 1 which would consist of three pieces fabricated from aluminum, as well as some longer(120mm) m8 threaded ss rod.
Old 20-06-2019, 04:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Hi Atoll,
The motor does indeed have a transmission and clutch included. It is a single piece with specifically made as a component of the autopilot system.

I'm more asking about how to couple the shaft of the steering system with the motor. My two options are

1) Fabricate a bracket which will connect to the bevel box and the motor flange, and will support the motor on the horizontal plane

2) Build and tab a platform to the stringer and hull and mount the motor to the platform, supporting it vertically

Number 2 has the plus of using less expensive material (epoxy, glass and wood with a bit of aluminum) vs 1 which would consist of three pieces fabricated from aluminum, as well as some longer(120mm) m8 threaded ss rod.
i would tab to the bulkhead to support the motor if it is heavy and perhaps fabricate a right angle bracket from the transmission to link the whole lot together .

what is critical is that there is no movement of the transmission or the motor assemblies when in use and that the alignment is reasonably true to the input shaft.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 06:57   #9

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll try to take some pictures so yall can see what I did.

Tags
autopilot, motor