Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 05:26   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Autopilot Control Unit Choice

Besides PyPilot there is the Pelagic AP. You can buy the control and drive unit without the ram.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:04   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We have a heavy duty pump controller (developed for Pypilot) and one of the largest hydraulic pumps in the recreational market for our large ram (~540 cc/33 cu. in). We don't see those kind of spikes when correcting course and is typically low amp draw. We also experience fairly low Ah w/the Pypilot software. Couldn't tell you what exactly is the difference between the systems, but the nice thing in the Pypilot software is you a can easily see the power consumption and adjust sails, etc. for better efficiency.

Bill O.
It was those peaks that put me off the controller for Pypilot though Sean did say he could build a more powerful controller. Seems my power usage isn't normal. Perhaps the old Vetus pump is on the way out, or is just old. I have a new Raymarine Type 1 pump as a spare. Perhaps I'll switched them out and test then.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 13:43   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
It was those peaks that put me off the controller for Pypilot though Sean did say he could build a more powerful controller. Seems my power usage isn't normal. Perhaps the old Vetus pump is on the way out, or is just old. I have a new Raymarine Type 1 pump as a spare. Perhaps I'll switched them out and test then.
Our pump can spike to 30 amps when it hits the dead stop (full over at 35 degrees) and his controller can easily handle it. Sean did a nice software tweak by putting in a soft stop if it hits 30 degrees so it doesn't spike. Like I said it is a very large pump (can handle rams up to 50 cu. in.), but seems to be very energy efficient compared to many APs. See #3 in this thread for the pypilot link and see how little power we use when running the AP.
Why is it that way, I don't really know. Maybe its the controller or the software, but whatever it is it works well for our old school hull design, relatively heavy displacement (when fully loaded in cruise mode), double-ender ketch.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot