Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 05:50   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensbusk1 View Post
HI. I look for bey, for a Cetrek autopilot 701, aminbox for cockpit, second hand.
I have look over all, but have not find it! If I can find one hu Work, can I chare to Invest 2000 Enlish paund! PLEACE HELP, MAYBE YOU CAN GIVE ME A IDE TO FIND IT!
Kindly Jens Busk S/Y Thor-Christ of Denmark. (NOW the boat is in Turkey Greek!)
I have one of these , Its quite frankly a very poor autopilot.

dave
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have one of these , Its quite frankly a very poor autopilot.

dave
I had one almost 40 years ago. Wasn't bad for the times but seriously outdated now.

But if you have that system wired and installed in the boat it would be easier to replace one part than the whole system with new and maybe a lot cheaper if you want to sell your old unit to Jens.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:51   #78
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I had one almost 40 years ago. Wasn't bad for the times but seriously outdated now.

But if you have that system wired and installed in the boat it would be easier to replace one part than the whole system with new and maybe a lot cheaper if you want to sell your old unit to Jens.
Im saving for a Garmin system. but the cetrek one is part of the whole cetrek network of electronic compass and display, rudder angle display, so I have to replace 3 instruments, a compass, junction box/processor

I found it very poor in any seaway as a pilot.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Im saving for a Garmin system. but the cetrek one is part of the whole cetrek network of electronic compass and display, rudder angle display, so I have to replace 3 instruments, a compass, junction box/processor

I found it very poor in any seaway as a pilot.
You're going for the Garmin. Very interesting. I've been thinking about the Garmin but just haven't seen enough history and real world reports to make the decision. Based on history and reputation was leaning towards Simrad or B&G unless I could get a better feel for the Garmin.

In general I have been very happy with Garmin products: several years of Garmin GPSs in cars, I have several friends with 740s plotters in their boats and every single person loves them. In general I think Garmin is very user friendly, great value for the money, reliable, etc. Might not be the leading edge, state of the art but my budget isn't state of the art anyway. So based on all the above I have bee very tempted by their AP.

But, warm and fuzzy feeling for the brand is not a great reason for deciding to buy their AP. So what made you decide on the Garmin? Know sailors that have used them? Looked at the guts on one? Talked to the Garmin engineers? And what drive unit? That's a whole subject on it's own.

Thanks
Skip

PS

Completely agree on the Cetrek. But it was very reliable when I had one.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14   #80
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
You're going for the Garmin. Very interesting. I've been thinking about the Garmin but just haven't seen enough history and real world reports to make the decision. Based on history and reputation was leaning towards Simrad or B&G unless I could get a better feel for the Garmin.

In general I have been very happy with Garmin products: several years of Garmin GPSs in cars, I have several friends with 740s plotters in their boats and every single person loves them. In general I think Garmin is very user friendly, great value for the money, reliable, etc. Might not be the leading edge, state of the art but my budget isn't state of the art anyway. So based on all the above I have bee very tempted by their AP.

But, warm and fuzzy feeling for the brand is not a great reason for deciding to buy their AP. So what made you decide on the Garmin? Know sailors that have used them? Looked at the guts on one? Talked to the Garmin engineers? And what drive unit? That's a whole subject on it's own.

Thanks
Skip

PS

Completely agree on the Cetrek. But it was very reliable when I had one.

couldn't agree more, but I have a commercial relationship with Garmin

dave
Old 23-02-2015, 02:31   #81

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

NKE has a TW function that is very stable and accurate however it's an option you have to pay for on top of the AW ...and NKE is definitely not that user friendly but it is extraordinarily accurate and dependable which explains why it s so used in bluewater race (vendee globe etc..)..when considering flipping there's also a nice system that s been in use for 15 years called up side up and used in racing as well ( Informatique embarqu?e marine ?lectronique marine, ordinateur, portable, logiciel, ?cran, ?tanche, navigation, navlight, feux led, feux ? leds, Ocean Data System)
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12   #82

Boat: Tashiba 40

This thread has been very interesting and helpful. I'm also looking for a new AP for a 40' heavy cruising sailboat, however it's extremely difficult to find end user reviews for different models to determine if it's the right one for your boat. Some of the manufacturers don't do themselves much of a favor by not providing all the product information needed to make a decision. Magazine articles on autopilots amount to a rehash of the manufacturers brochure. I guess it's just too expensive to test every model in the same boat to make a scientific comparison between brands. That I understand. However, a new Autopilot can end up being a very expensive mistake should I decided on one that can't do the job. As some posters have said - "stay with one of the top three" - I guess this is the best advice in the long run.
rcassano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot