Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 06:21   #1

Boat: SEAWIND-II
Autohelm ST50+ Depth

Hi all again
I did a mistake yesterday about the model of my autohelm sounder it is ST50 PLUS (instead of ST 59).
The problem still there, so I'm sending the message below hoping that somebody will be able to help me.
Thanks in advance.
Thank you Mark for your answer but not knowing we are talking about the right model I'm trying again

Hi all (message sent 11/29/2009)
I wonder if somebody in the community could help me.
I'm new owner of a sailboat equiped with Autohelm instruments (depth,wind,speed with repeater inside the cabin). All these instruments works well.
My problem is: There is an alarm on the depth sounder for Shallow/Deep and for Anchor low/Anchor deep. This alarm is on OFF position and I cannot put it at ON. I have the manual and it seems quite tricky to set it as I had some experienced friends that also tried using the manual to set it ON and they didn't succeed.
I'm trying in the forum hoping that somebody has the same system.
I'm in the Bahamas and sounder is essential here and the alarm would be very usefull. If somebody can help me it would be very appreciated.
Michel
zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:12   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
On your ST50+ DEPTH instrument:
  1. Hold DEPTH+ALARM for 2 seconds
  2. Push DEPTH to shallow alarm page
  3. Use ALARM key to turn the alarm on or off
  4. Use OFFSET or RESET to adjust the alarm depth
  5. Hold DEPTH+ALARM for 2 seconds to store the setting

In step 3 I can't remember if the arrow is flashing or steady to indicate the alarm is on, but set it to opposite of what it is I guess.

Personally, I've found the alarms rather annoying - it will make ALL your SeaTalk instruments alarm, and you have to manually reset it every 2 minutes.

If you still don't work it out let me know...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:31   #3

Re: Autohelm ST50+ Depth

Hi everyone,

I currently have an autohelm st50plus sounder installed on a Kirby 25. It’s been installed many years ago and has been running smoothly up until now. From what I remember, I was sailing close to a shallow area and the indicated depth fell to 3.8 feet and started blinking. I adjust my course, didn’t hit bottom, yet after that incident the depth was very inaccurate. A couple of minutes later it indicated a depth of 0 feet when it should have been around 20 feet. Now the screen indicates “DEPTH: - -“ . I checked the bottom of the hull…no damages. I checked the wiring and connections… everything seems as it was for the past couple of years. How do I reset the depth? Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? Hope to hear back from one of you so that I could get back on the water!!
Lorenzo Accurso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm