Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2022, 07:56   #16

Re: Autohelm Raymarine - won't engage

Hi all, similar problem here. I have a Raymarine type 2 hydraulic linear drive. When the autopilot is engaged the pump starts but the wheel spins freely and the hydraulic ram does not move in or out. I have tested with a volt meter and I have 12v at the clutch. Not sure if the clutch is dirty/ seized or I need to bleed the lines (no indication of a leak). Any thoughts?
Tikitour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:37   #17

Boat: Furia 372 - 11.20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitour View Post
Hi all, similar problem here. I have a Raymarine type 2 hydraulic linear drive. When the autopilot is engaged the pump starts but the wheel spins freely and the hydraulic ram does not move in or out. I have tested with a volt meter and I have 12v at the clutch. Not sure if the clutch is dirty/ seized or I need to bleed the lines (no indication of a leak). Any thoughts?
Linear drive type 2 is not hydraulic. If you have checked the 12v at the clutch cables, and there is no hold in AUTO mode, it is most likely that the clutch coil needs to be replaced:

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...-assembly-n007

Element 5 in the image.
Tehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:56   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Tehani,
Your link was a dead end and the Raymarine E12207 type2 is a hydraulic linear drive unit.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Tehani,
Your link was a dead end and the Raymarine E12207 type2 is a hydraulic linear drive unit.
True, it is strange what happened when copying the link. I put again:

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...asssembly-n007
Old 01-03-2022, 09:44   #20

This time the link works.

In any case, whether it is a hydraulic drive or not, it seems that the problem is the solenoid valve coil (Hydraulic), or coil 5 in the figure in the link.

Raymarine type 1 and type 2 linear units are both electromechanical, with planetary gear and magnetic clutch. Type 2 has more motor power.
True, also Raymarine E12207 type 2 is hydraulic.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:49   #21

I saw that parts diagram before when I did a search, but I believe that isn't the correct diagram. The one below has a reversing pump instead of an electric motor drive. It still is most likely the clutch engagement valve that isn't working, but maybe a different part # than what is in the link.

Edit: I was writing my response while you were writing yours so some overlap.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:17   #22

Hi all this is a very useful thread and I really appreciate your help in fixing my autopilot. I think the picture Bill added is the one I have it is a E12207 hydraulic linear drive. I have someone tying to figure out the part number for the coil and they have asked me to remove the coil by unscrewing the nut below the solenoid (I will attach a picture). Has anyone done this? I feel hydraulic oil will bleed out? Also it is really as simple as removing the old coil and installing a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48813B6A-5218-486B-955A-7237B622C853.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	253942  
Old 04-03-2022, 05:20   #23

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I have a hypro drive. They may be an oem for raymarine. https://www.hypro.co.uk/products/hyd...eering-system/
Removing the nut will allow you to pull the coil off the spool valve. No oil should leak.
Even before that check the coil with an ohmmeter. Not sure what resistance I would expect but 10-100 ohms seems about right. If the coil is bad the most likely failure will be open circuit.
When the coil is energized there should be a magnetic field. A price of steel, ie a screwdriver, will let you test for that.
If the coil is good you will need to remove and clean or replace the valve.
I had to do this. My valve was intermittently sticking in the on position. Ugh. Wheel locked! Under power! In Boston harbor.
I disconnected the ram and fixed the problem.

This is what I did:
Close the valve where the hose leaves the fluid reservoir. Reopen when operating though.

Remove the cylinder from its mounts for better access. Leave all hoses attached.
Set up a bucket to catch dripping fluid.
Remove the solenoid coil.
Remove the spool valve (simply unscrew it. There are flats. )
I then cleaned the valve by spraying then soaking then spraying with wd-40. I also operated the valve using the solenoid and a couple of (fused) wires from 12v. You can see and hear the valve move. Click.
This reduced the stickiness.
I reinstalled the valve.
The problem was better but not gone.
I dug in further.
The fluid was filthy, had black and brown fine particles, and was discolored.
I learned that hydraulic fluid can oxidize over use and time.
I ended up replacing the valve and draining and flushing and filling the system with new oil.
The problem was gone.

In short, check the solenoid. If that’s good, clean the valve. You might want to flush the fluid.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:22   #24

Autohelm Raymarine - won't engage

Oh yes and you can easily disconnect the power to the coil. There is a screw on the back of the cubical box the wires go in to. That box is a connector. Loosen the screw and pull the connector straight off.
I don’t recall how many pins, but the solenoid uses only two.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Oh yes and you can easily disconnect the power to the coil. There is a screw on the back of the cubical box the wires go in to. That box is a connector. Loosen the screw and pull the connector straight off.
I don’t recall how many pins, but the solenoid uses only two.

One last thing. Hypro has sold different diameter coil assemblies over the years. I expect raymarine as well. There is a way to identify them but I don’t recall what it is. Make sure you get the correct part, whether spool valve or coil. Or you may need to replace both at the same time. My unit was over ten years old and was the old style. Not at all certain about yours.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitour View Post
I feel hydraulic oil will bleed out? Also it is really as simple as removing the old coil and installing a new one?

While you've been given some good info from defelsent on how to remove/test the coil, I would put a tray under the valve before you remove the nut. Working on hydraulic systems is a given it could get messy w/some oil leaking out.
If you need to replace the oil, ask RM their recommendation for the type/viscosity of oil. Do not reuse the old oil.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:17   #27

Hi all,

So I have removed the coil, it was a little dirty and I cleaned it up. Not sure if that will fix it or I need to replace it. I am thinking I need to drain the hydraulic fluid as it is discoloured and it has some sediment in the reservoir. What is the best way to drain/ replace the hydraulic fluid? Also will any marine steering hydraulic fluid work? My choices may be limited based on my location. Thanks for all your help, dfelsent your input was extremely helpful. Also what’s the best way to test it while I have it off?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13DED298-1C97-4B06-95D1-78619196BB5A.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	253997   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D82C695-6CDE-40B6-A46E-AFC9B8C3EF47.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	253998  

Name:	FDBB7D26-3DBA-4B3F-831A-E3EF8254F96D.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	253999  
Old 05-03-2022, 09:41   #28

No fluid came out when you pulled the valve out?
Old 05-03-2022, 10:20   #29

No, only a very small amount. I put it back together while I wait for parts. I’m going to replace the solenoid and the coil. However now the steering is a little sticky and the ram is making a bit of noise. Im thinking I have some air in the lines that is causing this?
Old 05-03-2022, 11:03   #30

https://www.hypro.co.uk/wp-content/u...0_MANUAL-4.pdf
Is the manual for my unit.

The manual says the coil should be between the two opposite pins. Check with an ohmmeter and you should have about 12-15 ohms.

I recall that the motion of the valve was very small when activated. But there was definitely a click.

You may have some air now, bleeding is simple. The manual has a procedure.

I used iso10 hydraulic and spindle oil. Mobil Velocite. I could not find appropriate oil at my local parts and supply shops. I had to order it.
Nearly a gallon to fill and flush. I also removed and cleaned the reservoir.

The oil for this unit is fairly thin, much thinner than motor oil. The manual has suggestions. I am at the thin end of the range.

The iso grade is not the same as sae oil grades.

https://www.widman.biz/English/Table...ison-table.png

Most hydraulic fluids are thicker than iso10.

Tags
autohelm, helm, marine, raymarine