Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 16:44   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I hadve a customer that had the same problem......I couldn't figure it out...he took the boat south and called me to tell me there was a wire that needed to be DISCONNECTED.....If I can reach him....I will have him contact you
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:38   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
My Navico 5000 did this to me this last winter. It was the compass and I have chucked to whole mess for a new $$$ one. The fluxgte is simple enough to disect. Careful, Some have fluid in them . You may want to check if one of the wires has broken on the gimbled sensor inside if you are at the end of the game,

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 15:52   #18

Autohelm 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by svh2obo View Post
I took one of these units off my boat 6 years ago and have intended to sell it on eBay ever since but haven't. Sounds like there me some demand for it. Everything is in good shape except for the control head which is weathered. Before I bought the boat, it sat in it's cradle for 5 years, so the autopilot hasn't been run for 11 years.
Do you still have this - I'm looking for a replacement auxiliary control unit?
Mike Gill
Mike Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 17:48   #19

looking for Autohelm 5000 vane

Quote:
Originally Posted by svh2obo View Post
I took one of these units off my boat 6 years ago and have intended to sell it on eBay ever since but haven't. Sounds like there me some demand for it. Everything is in good shape except for the control head which is weathered. Before I bought the boat, it sat in it's cradle for 5 years, so the autopilot hasn't been run for 11 years.
If you have the wind vane sensor unit (red plastic vane sits atop a black rotating metal tube) i would be interested in acquiring that part alone.
GeorgesCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 05:31   #20

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Michael - As Wheels pointed out, you have the ANCIENT version! I had that also. The newer control heads show your selected heading. And, the older ones do NOT have a rudder position indicator. The DIAL adjustment - I'm presuming that is a separate small box with a switch in the middle ... if so, that is the "sea state" adjustment.

Wheels is also correct in that RayMarine (use to be Raytheon) does NOT support those older models. In fact, if you call them and manage to actually speak to one of their reps, they will tell you that you can send in the whole system, they will look at it, and let you know if it is possible to fix it. If they cannot fix it (most likely) they will send it all back (you are out the postage one-way). They do, however, have rebuilt NEW units, that they will sell you at a substantial discount. Unfortunately, you will need MOST new items, not just the one(s) that failed. The exception is the ram - it works with the newer stuff (they won't tell you that or admit it).

I don't recall the exact symptoms on the autopilot failure - but the results sound similar to what you describe. My problem turned out to be the fluxgate compass. If you disconnect the compass, and try it and get the same symptoms, tadaaaaa. I've sold the two control heads that I had, but still have the 'computer'. If you find that it is the computer, you can contact me in PM and we'll see what we can work out. But, frankly, I think your best bet is to ship it all off to RayMarine, let them ID the problem and then make your choices then (and, I would suggest buying their rebuilt system).
Insanely late the party on this thread. I did find calling raymarine about my st7000 autohelm was actually positive. I had a similar problem - randomly going hard port (whether in standby, auto, or track). The tech, without hesitating, said it was most likely the system was looking for a joystick and to put a resistor on the joystick port to simulate a joystick.

I haven't done it yet to confirm it works or not, or if it applies to this thread.. but there is at least one tech there that (appears) to have a clue.

The previous owner junked the autohelm flux for a KVH. been working like a champ.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:24   #21

Couple of random thoughts...make sure the rubber limit to port has not been reset. This would allow only corrections to starboard. Most autopilots allow you to manually control the rudder. Make sure you can get the rudder to turn to port. If you can't by using the controls then I think the control head is suspect or the rudder position indicator.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, autohelm 5000